Some posts do not show up in Google Groups

Frank Millman

Hi all

For a while now I have been using Google Groups to read this group, but on the odd occasion when I want to post a message, I use Outlook Express, as Iknow that some people reject all messages from Google Groups due to the high spam ratio (which seems to have improved recently, BTW).

From time to time I see a thread where the original post is missing, but the follow-ups do appear. My own posts have shown up with no problem.

Now, in the last month, I have posted two messages using Outlook Express, and neither of them have shown up in Google Groups. I can see replies in OE,so they are being accepted. I send to the group gmane.comp.python.general.

Does anyone know a reason for this, or have a solution?

Frank Millman

Colin J. Williams

Hi all

For a while now I have been using Google Groups to read this group, but on the odd occasion when I want to post a message, I use Outlook Express, as I know that some people reject all messages from Google Groups due to the high spam ratio (which seems to have improved recently, BTW).

From time to time I see a thread where the original post is missing, but the follow-ups do appear. My own posts have shown up with no problem.

Now, in the last month, I have posted two messages using Outlook Express, and neither of them have shown up in Google Groups. I can see replies in OE, so they are being accepted. I send to the group gmane.comp.python.general.

Does anyone know a reason for this, or have a solution?

Frank Millman

I lose about two messages a day from the Usenet Group. At the end of
the day, the Group reports one or two messges as being available, but
they are not.

Colin W.

alex23

In the absence of their participation in resolving the problems Google
Groups has with Usenet, I think the best course of action is to avoid
Google Groups.

The new interface effectively kills Groups dead as a useful Usenet
reader anyway :(

Frank Millman

Hi all

For a while now I have been using Google Groups to read this group, but on the odd occasion when I want to post a message, I use Outlook Express, asI know that some people reject all messages from Google Groups due to the high spam ratio (which seems to have improved recently, BTW).

From time to time I see a thread where the original post is missing, but the follow-ups do appear. My own posts have shown up with no problem.

Now, in the last month, I have posted two messages using Outlook Express,and neither of them have shown up in Google Groups. I can see replies in OE, so they are being accepted. I send to the group gmane.comp.python.general.

Does anyone know a reason for this, or have a solution?

Frank Millman

Thanks for the replies. I am also coming to the conclusion that Google
Groups is no longer fit-for-purpose.

Ironically, here are two replies that I can see in Outlook Express,
but do not appear in Google Groups.

Reply from Benjamin Kaplan -
I believe the mail-to-news gateway has trouble with HTML messages. Try sending everything as plain text and see if that works.

I checked, and all my posts were sent in plain text.

Reply from Terry Reedy -
Read and post through news.gmane.org

I have had a look at this before, but there is one thing that Google
Groups does that no other reader seems to do, and that is that
messages are sorted according to thread-activity, not original posting
date. This makes it easy to see what has changed since the last time I
checked.

All the other ones I have looked at - Outlook Express, Thunderbird,
and gmane.org, sort by original posting date, so I have to go
backwards to see if any threads have had any new postings.

Maybe there is a setting that I am not aware of. Can anyone enlighten
me?

Thanks

Frank

Rotwang

[...]

I have had a look at this before, but there is one thing that Google
Groups does that no other reader seems to do, and that is that
messages are sorted according to thread-activity, not original posting
date. This makes it easy to see what has changed since the last time I
checked.

All the other ones I have looked at - Outlook Express, Thunderbird,
and gmane.org, sort by original posting date, so I have to go
backwards to see if any threads have had any new postings.

Maybe there is a setting that I am not aware of. Can anyone enlighten
me?

In Thunderbird, in the list of articles, click on the box at the top
right that says "Date". This will sort articles by date. If the arrow at
the right hand side of the box points upwards, click the box again. This
will sort articles by date with the newest at the top. Then click the
leftmost box at the same height as the "Date" one, which has an icon
that looks like a Tetris block; this will sort the articles into
threads, with those threads that contain the most recent posts at the
top of the list. At least that's how it works on my version of
Thunderbird (11.0.1 and all previous versions I can remember). I don't
know how one would get it to sort threads by OP date, so I don't know
why it's doing that for you.

Whenever I open a newsgroup in Thunderbird, I also find it useful to
click the "Unread" button in the Quick Filter toolbar.

Robert Miles

Hi all

For a while now I have been using Google Groups to read this group, but on the odd occasion when I want to post a message, I use Outlook Express, as I know that some people reject all messages from Google Groups due to the high spam ratio (which seems to have improved recently, BTW).

From time to time I see a thread where the original post is missing, but the follow-ups do appear. My own posts have shown up with no problem.

Now, in the last month, I have posted two messages using Outlook Express, and neither of them have shown up in Google Groups. I can see replies in OE, so they are being accepted. I send to the group gmane.comp.python.general.

Does anyone know a reason for this, or have a solution?

Frank Millman

I can't answer your main question, but I have seen a reason for
Google Groups appearing to have less spam. That was about the
time Google Groups introduced a new interface which makes it
obvious if anyone has already reported a message as spam (or
any other type of abuse), and also made those messages inaccessible
after two different users reported the same message as abuse.

Therefore, many spammers are moving toward newsgroups where no one
reports the spam.

Robert Miles

Robert Miles

[...]

Thunderbird appears to change the sorting order for me based on
whether I tell it to put the newest messages at the top of its
window or at the bottom.

Some newsgroups servers appear to discard every post they get
that contains any HTML. This may be because Google Groups often
adds HTML even if you don't ask for it, and those servers want
to avoid the poor signal to noise ratio from Google Groups.

Robert Miles