Some problems for exercises

vivek

Hi all,

Here we are conducting a QIP program for teachers in other colleges. I am
assigned the job of taking lectures in Python. Although there will be not much
time (exactly speaking : 4 hours) for me to tell them each and everything in
python, I am trying to cover as much as I can. Here are the areas which I am
planning to cover :

1. Basic Language facilities : (Data structures, control structures,
input/output, object oriented programming etc.)

2. A brief (rather very brief) Introduction to GUI programming with Tkinter

3. CGI programming in Python

4. Database programming with PostgreSQL

Although I have prepared the presentation slides etc. I was unable to think of
some good problems for exercises, which can cover the above mentioned topics
well and also by solving them they can learn Python in an easy and fast way.

So, as usual I have turned to you u people for help :). Please suggest me some
such problems and where to look for it.

TIA,
Vivek Kumar

Miki Tebeka

Hello Vivek,
1. Basic Language facilities : (Data structures, control structures,
input/output, object oriented programming etc.)

2. A brief (rather very brief) Introduction to GUI programming with Tkinter

3. CGI programming in Python

4. Database programming with PostgreSQL
So, as usual I have turned to you u people for help :). Please suggest me some
such problems and where to look for it.

I suggest an electronic phonebook. The 1'st command line version
should be enough for 1 (open file, go over lines, use regexps, people
as classes and save them using pickle ...). Then add GUI for 2, web
interface for 3 and database for 4.
It is also nice to see a program evolving and you don't have to
explain too much time describing the problem when moving from one area
to the other.

HTH.
Miki.

Dennis Lee Bieber

(e-mail address removed) fed this fish to the penguins on Sunday 07
December 2003 02:26 am:
4. Database programming with PostgreSQL
OUCH!

Without knowing their backgrounds I could easily fill four hours on
just relational database THEORY (normal forms, etc.) without even
getting down to any particular RDBM software. The looseness of MySQL
might be a touch easier to work with, since it doesn't enforce
referential integrity (try explaining that to newbies).
Although I have prepared the presentation slides etc. I was unable to
think of some good problems for exercises, which can cover the above
mentioned topics well and also by solving them they can learn Python
in an easy and fast way.
In four hours?

Let's see, a local Tkinter front-end for adding/modifying records in
the database, with a CGI back-end to an HTML "on-line ordering form"
accessing the same database. I suspect you'd have to predefine the
database schema -- if they have to do that analysis along with
designing applications for it <shudder>

That combines everything into one consolidated project...

vivek

Hello Vivek,

I suggest an electronic phonebook. The 1'st command line version
should be enough for 1 (open file, go over lines, use regexps, people
as classes and save them using pickle ...). Then add GUI for 2, web
interface for 3 and database for 4.
It is also nice to see a program evolving and you don't have to
explain too much time describing the problem when moving from one area
to the other.

It seems to me a good idea. Actually first I thought of a HRIS type of
application. But soon I realized that it will be quite big for such a short
time span, and after that I was unable to think of anything easier :(. But I
think that an electronic phonebook will be good enough to cover the topics
and also will be easier to implement.

Thanks Miki,
Vivek Kumar

vivek

(e-mail address removed) fed this fish to the penguins on Sunday 07
December 2003 02:26 am:

OUCH!

Without knowing their backgrounds I could easily fill four hours on
just relational database THEORY (normal forms, etc.) without even
getting down to any particular RDBM software. The looseness of MySQL
might be a touch easier to work with, since it doesn't enforce
referential integrity (try explaining that to newbies).

As I mentioned in my post they are Computer Science Teachers in other colleges.
So we can safely assume that they atleast know these basic things. At least
they have some familiarity with these concepts. And also they have just
attended the classes in RDBMS. There were lectures on Oracle DBA. So, I think
that it will not be a problem with them. Also our main focus will be on Python.
In four hours?

That means four hours of theory lectures and four hours of practical sessions.
Let's see, a local Tkinter front-end for adding/modifying records in
the database, with a CGI back-end to an HTML "on-line ordering form"
accessing the same database. I suspect you'd have to predefine the
database schema -- if they have to do that analysis along with
designing applications for it <shudder>

Thanks,
Vivek Kumar