Some Programing Required

Discussion in 'Java' started by Murray J, Dec 18, 2004.

  1. Murray J

    Murray J Guest

    I am not sure if this is the proper group for this, however, I am sure
    someone will redirect me if necessary.

    I have an HTML page which is an image map with a 4 X 4 grid of 'hot
    spots', linking to other HTML pages, each of which contains a large
    (3200px X 2560px) image. I would like to capture the co-ordinates of
    the mouse at the instant when it is clicked on the first image,
    apply some mathematics based on which 'hot spot' was clicked, and come
    up with a new set of co-ordinates. When the destination page is
    opened, I would like the viewport to be at those new co-ordinates on
    the 3200px X 2560px image on the page.

    I suspect this will require some programing in languages I know
    nothing about, and haven't the time to learn at the moment.

    If anyone is interested in this project for the challenge and/or cash,
    please give me a shout at .

    Thanks,
    Murray
    Murray J, Dec 18, 2004

  2. On 17 Dec 2004 16:50:52 -0800, Murray J wrote:

    > I am not sure if this is the proper group for this, however, I am sure
    > someone will redirect me if necessary.

    Best group for this app. would be comp.lang.javascript.
    Note that Java is a diferent language to JS, and this
    would best be done in JS.

    HTH

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Dec 20, 2004

  3. If you use server-side image mapping to handle the request, all you
    need is the <input type="image" name="foo" /> set, then when you get
    the value on the other side you can get the pixel location clicked on
    via request.getParameter("foo_x") and request.getParameter("foo_y"),
    then redirect to the appropriate image.

    If you are going to do it with a client side #map then you need to do
    that with JavaScript. I honestly have no idea how to get that
    information with JS though.
    Robert kebernet Cooper, Dec 20, 2004
  4. Sorry, thats "foo.x" and "foo.y". Not underscores.
    Robert kebernet Cooper, Dec 20, 2004
  5. Murray J

    Guest

    Thanks Andrew