Some questions about servlet and applet and RMI

james

I would like to ask what is RMI, is it something like RPC remote procedure
call that I come across in OS courses?

Also, I have an applet that display map data and I would like to know how to
make it get information from a web and application server,say communicating
with servlet or JSP pages to get the required map vector data. Can anyone
give me reference site and codes.

john_hunsley

hi,

rmi stands for remote method invocation. basicaly it allows a java client program to invoke a method on a java server program which executes the command. the important thing with rmi is that you have a namingService interface. all the methods which can be invoked by the client must be present here. this interface is then implemented by the server. you require the RMI compiler to make rmi programs. you have to make sure you compile the 2 classes and the interface up in the right order. you also need a security policy file in with your server. take a look at the java.sun.com site for more info.

as for your web app, i dont realy know that much about applets, i never use em'. check out the Applet class and its methods for more info.