Some questions about XML and DTD

Leonardo Hyppolito

Hi there,

I'm in the last year of my graduation course in Computer Science. I
decided to make a final project about XML.

The idea I have is simple: to make a tool for editing DTD's, using a
tree-like visualization. The user will be able to add the elements and
all the stuff that he needed. This would generate the text DTD. And
also, the program would validate XML documents against this DTD.

I need suggestions for books that describe how the DTD specification
works. And other books that could help me to develop this idea. I am
planning to use Java as my program language.

As I began to study XML a short time ago, I'm still a begginer.

Any suggestion or hint would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Philippe Poulard

hi,

here is a famous dtd parser in java easy to use :
http://www.rpbourret.com/dtdparser/

however, as it doesn't hold the sources of external entities, you have
to patch it yourself

by reading the java code, you will certainly learn a lot on dtds

--
Cordialement,

///
(. .)
-----ooO--(_)--Ooo-----
| Philippe Poulard |
-----------------------

Leonardo Hyppolito

here is a famous dtd parser in java easy to use :
http://www.rpbourret.com/dtdparser/

however, as it doesn't hold the sources of external entities, you have
to patch it yourself

by reading the java code, you will certainly learn a lot on dtds

Thanks Phillipe. I'll take a look in this software.

What I need to know is where the DTD specification is published.
What can a DTD document contain? What syntax? What do the keywords
mean?

Is there a book, or a paper, about it? Who "controls" the DTD
specification?

Any information will be helpful.

Leonardo

Philippe Poulard

Leonardo said:
Thanks Phillipe. I'll take a look in this software.

What I need to know is where the DTD specification is published.

here :
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204/
What can a DTD document contain? What syntax? What do the keywords
mean?

Is there a book, or a paper, about it? Who "controls" the DTD
specification?

the W3C
Any information will be helpful.

a list of related topics :
http://www.w3.org/TR/

--
Cordialement,

///
(. .)
-----ooO--(_)--Ooo-----
| Philippe Poulard |
-----------------------

Urs Muntwyler

Hi

The single and only normative description of the XML standard
(including DTD) is provided by its "creator", the World Wide Web
Consortium (W3C), at http://www.w3c.org/

The latest version of the XML specification can be found at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204/

All books about XML (I'm not talking about the other standards within
the XML world, such as XML Schema, XPath, XLink...) are basically the
"prosaic form" of that document. If you decide to write software
dealing with XML and DTDs, it's absolutely essential to read that
document. And as a computer science student, you may even manage to
understand it ;-)

Hope that helps,
Urs

Leonardo Hyppolito