some questions on how to study the bittorent.

Moore Liu

Hi all,

I am very interesting in the detailed implement of bittorrent and have
read some p2p protocol document, but I want to know more of the
technique implementation. It's time-consuming to reverse-engineering
the code to understand the design intention of it. So my question is:

Is there any well written "Design document" we can find, which descibe
the detail technical in the code. For example: the seed format, the
algorithm of how to divide the files into blocks, how to schdule
threads, how to decide which part of the file should be receive first,
the credit system(something like that in the eMule), and so on...

Could you pls tell me the methology to study the code or show me some
link to these document or some specific forum to delve in?

Thanks,
Moore

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Moore Liu said:
Hi all,

I am very interesting in the detailed implement of bittorrent and have
read some p2p protocol document, but I want to know more of the
technique implementation. It's time-consuming to reverse-engineering
the code to understand the design intention of it. So my question is:

Is there any well written "Design document" we can find, which descibe
the detail technical in the code. For example: the seed format, the
algorithm of how to divide the files into blocks, how to schdule
threads, how to decide which part of the file should be receive first,
the credit system(something like that in the eMule), and so on...

You can start with the `protocol description`_ on the BitTorrent website
and the `BitTorrent Economics Paper`_.

... _protocol description: http://www.bittorrent.org/protocol.html
... _BitTorrent Economics Paper:
http://www.bittorrent.com/bittorrentecon.pdf