Some questions.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mr. X., Sep 2, 2008.

  1. Mr. X.

    Mr. X. Guest

    Hello.

    Question 1.
    --------------
    In HTML page, I am using framesets :

    i.e.
    <frameset cols = "*,776,*">
    <frame />
    <frameset rows = "140,*">
    <frame src = "my_page1.html"/>
    <frameset cols = "*,180">
    <frame src = "my_page2.html" name = "main_body" />
    <frame src = "my_page3.html" />
    </frameset>
    </frameset>
    <frame />
    </frameset>

    I want that the whole page will be a scrollable one (for my page, only
    vertical scroll component), but the inner frames won't be scrollable.

    How can I do that ?

    Question 2.
    --------------
    How can I represent a text-box with contents, and how can I load it's
    contents from XML etc ... ?

    Question 3.
    -------------
    Same as question 2, but need also solution for reachtext box.

    Thanks :)
    Mr. X., Sep 2, 2008

  2. Mr. X.

    Ari Heino Guest

    Ari Heino, Sep 2, 2008

  3. Mr. X.

    Mr. X. Guest

    Frames it's a choice, for cons & pros, that I can use it to refresh contents
    of a single frame,
    and link it to another page, without refresh the whole page.

    (For my example, I can write a javascript from my_page3.html, such as :
    parent.main_body.location = "http:// ... new_source.html".
    my_page3.html can be buttons ...)

    (Also, did you mean CSS style with relative XPos and YPos ?
    It doesn't solve the above)
    Any other offer ?

    For my questions, I would like an answer, please.

    Another question (Question 4) :
    When I use scrolling = "YES", I succeeded writing it for a single frame, but
    :
    scrolling is always visible (I just want to scroll when necessary).

    How can I do the above ?

    Thanks :)
    Mr. X., Sep 2, 2008
  4. Mr. X. wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > Question 2.
    > --------------
    > How can I represent a text-box with contents, and how can I load it's
    > contents from XML etc ... ?

    You need to learn some web server programming technology, like PHP or
    ASP.NET.

    > Question 3.
    > -------------
    > Same as question 2, but need also solution for reachtext box.

    Assuming you mean *rich* text, there is no such thing as a rich text box
    in HTML. There's the single-line text box (input tag with type="text")
    and there's the multi-line textarea tag, but both of those are for plain
    text.
    Harlan Messinger, Sep 3, 2008
  5. Mr. X.

    C A Upsdell Guest

    Mr. X. wrote:
    > Frames it's a choice

    Usually a poor choice, unless you don't care whether search engines or
    bookmarks can link to individual pages, and unless you don't care what
    happens if the user has disabled frames.
    C A Upsdell, Sep 3, 2008
  6. C A Upsdell wrote:

    > Mr. X. wrote:
    >> Frames it's a choice

    > Usually a poor choice, unless you don't care whether search engines or
    > bookmarks can link to individual pages, and unless you don't care what
    > happens if the user has disabled frames.

    As long as it fits his browsing style, what does it matter if it fits his
    visitors'. They're just a bunch of nuisances, anyway. :)

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 3, 2008
  7. Mr. X.

    dorayme Guest

    In article <g9km0g$ucd$>,
    C A Upsdell <> wrote:

    > Mr. X. wrote:
    > > Frames it's a choice

    > Usually a poor choice, unless you don't care whether search engines or
    > bookmarks can link to individual pages, and unless you don't care what
    > happens if the user has disabled frames.

    This last is an uncommon warning. There is *so* much that website makers
    need to care about!

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 3, 2008
  8. Mr. X.

    Mr. X. Guest

    I have asked several questions,
    but I have seen a discuss of "wheather frames are good solution or not",
    and get no answer to any of my questions (some of my questions are not
    related to frames).

    I shall ask them again here :

    Question 1.
    --------------
    In HTML page, I am using framesets :

    i.e.
    <frameset cols = "*,776,*">
    <frame />
    <frameset rows = "140,*">
    <frame src = "my_page1.html"/>
    <frameset cols = "*,180">
    <frame src = "my_page2.html" name = "main_body" />
    <frame src = "my_page3.html" />
    </frameset>
    </frameset>
    <frame />
    </frameset>

    I want that the whole page will be a scrollable one (for my page, only
    vertical scroll component), but the inner frames won't be scrollable.

    How can I do that ?

    Question 2.
    --------------
    How can I represent a text-box with contents, and how can I load it's
    contents from XML, rtf-file, etc ... ?

    Question 3.
    -------------
    Same as question 2, but need also solution for reachtext box.

    Question 4.
    ------------

    Mr. X., Sep 3, 2008
  9. Mr. X.

    Mr. X. Guest

    "Harlan Messinger" wrote to my questions :

    > > Question 2 ...

    > You need to learn some web server programming technology, like PHP or
    > ASP.NET.

    I know ASP, just forgot what is the exact command for loading into textbox.

    Thanks :)
    Mr. X., Sep 3, 2008
  10. Mr. X. wrote:
    > "Harlan Messinger" wrote to my questions :
    >
    >> > Question 2 ...

    >> You need to learn some web server programming technology, like PHP or
    >> ASP.NET.

    > I know ASP, just forgot what is the exact command for loading into textbox.
    >
    > Thanks :)

    If you know any ASP at all I'm surprised you're asking about "commands"
    for "loading" anything into a textbox or anywhere else because there is
    no such command and because there isn't any difference between using ASP
    to display characters in a textbox and using ASP to display characters
    anywhere else on the page. It seems like you need to go back and review
    your ASP skills.

    If you're talking about how to get the data out of XML or a database,
    well, it isn't a simple answer or a simple command; you need to learn
    how data access works in ASP, using the XML document object model or
    ADO, respectively.
    Harlan Messinger, Sep 3, 2008
  11. Mr. X.

    Bergamot Guest

    Mr. X. wrote:
    > I have asked several questions,
    > but I have seen a discuss of "wheather frames are good solution or not",
    > and get no answer to any of my questions (some of my questions are not
    > related to frames).

    If you ask how to shoot yourself in the foot, most folks around here are
    not inclined to give you such instruction.

    With that in mind, frames are most often a lousy way to construct a web
    page, so you're not likely to get a lot of advice except to find a
    different solution.

    You mentioned in another post that you already "know ASP", so why not
    make use of that instead of frames, especially if you're going to use it
    for your non-frames issue? Your visitors will probably thank you for it.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Sep 3, 2008
  12. Jack wrote:
    > Mr. X
    >
    > Sorry. As you see, there are a very few people here that would much
    > rather lecture than try to help. They do this mostly when they don't
    > know the answer but want to be heard.

    Yeah, they're sort of like people in a homemaking newsgroup who,
    encountering someone who wants to know "Sometimes when I'm in the
    bathtub I get hungry and I wish I could just lean over and pop some
    toast in a toaster. What kind of toaster should I get?", respond, "You
    shouldn't operate a toaster near the bathtub." Perfectly horrible
    people, they are, not knowing the answer but just wanting to be heard.
    Harlan Messinger, Sep 3, 2008
  13. Mr. X.

    dorayme Guest

    In article <g9mbbn$qf2$>,
    "Mr. X." <no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> wrote:

    > In HTML page, I am using framesets :

    > I want that the whole page will be a scrollable one (for my page, only
    > vertical scroll component), but the inner frames won't be scrollable.

    If you have a couple of cols and don't want the scrollbars when not
    needed on the frames, you can do

    <frameset cols="100, *">

    <frame src="nav.html" name="navigation" scrolling="no">
    <frame src="content.html" name="rightframe" scrolling="auto">

    </frameset>

    and this might suit if the right is content and the left is short nav.
    It will, for all the world, seem as if the page is a normal one that
    triggers a vertical scrollbar when needed.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 3, 2008
  14. Jack wrote:
    > Harlen
    >
    > You make my point for me.

    No I don't.

    > Frames are a perfectly legal proper accepted by W3 method of designing
    > web pages.

    Lots of things that are legal are a bad idea.

    > Your example has no merit at all. Frames are NOT
    > dangerous, just unliked.

    For lots of good reasons that are, accordingly, good reasons to advise
    someone not to use them.

    > I would not use them either. He had
    > questions he needed answered, not lessons in electrical safety.

    I'll add you to my list of people who doesn't understand what the point
    of an analogy is.

    Harlan Messinger, Sep 3, 2008
  15. On Sep 3, 6:58 pm, Harlan Messinger
    <> wrote:
    > > Frames are a perfectly legal proper accepted by W3 method of designing
    > > web pages.

    > Lots of things that are legal are a bad idea.

    That is such a lame argument. Or better yet, "Just because you can do
    it, doesn't mean you should do it". That is as equally lame. There
    are plenty of good reasons not to use frames, your statement isn't one
    of them.

    --
    Travis
    Flash Crap: http://travisnewbury.blogspot.com
    Travis Newbury, Sep 4, 2008
  16. Mr. X.

    Mr. X. Guest

    I have found answers to my questions ...

    Thanks, anyway.

    For frames, for my opinion, it does some arrangemants on what you do, even
    of its complication.
    It also compitable for all browsers (netscape, IE for all versions, and more
    ....)
    When you know how using it - it can be proffitable.

    I didn't mean to open a useless argument. If someone doesn't know, so he/she
    shouldn't answer.
    Besides, there are lots that claim frames to be the best attitude.
    It is a solution for pros & cons, but when you create some attitudes on your
    work, you must not change them frequency.
    (i.e I have created many functions, that one of create a menu from xml -
    that can be changed much better from other attitudes).

    For Question 1 :
    What I did to solve the scroll problem, is use iframe that is linked to an
    HTML that has includes frames.

    For Question 2 :
    There is a StreamReader object for that,
    but I don't understand why at the main site www.w3schools.com there isn't
    any clue for that object, which I by mistake found on the internet.

    For Question 3:
    I didn't find any free reach-text box yet,
    but yet I can handle with much lower-level ones, until I find a good free
    reach-text box tool
    (someone know any ?)

    For Question 4:
    dorayme has answered (scrolling = "auto").

    Thanks :)
    Mr. X., Sep 5, 2008
  17. Mr. X. wrote:

    > I have found answers to my questions ...
    >
    > Thanks, anyway.
    >
    > For frames, for my opinion, it does some arrangemants on what you do, even
    > of its complication.
    > It also compitable for all browsers (netscape, IE for all versions, and more
    > ...)
    > When you know how using it - it can be proffitable.
    >
    > I didn't mean to open a useless argument. If someone doesn't know, so he/she
    > shouldn't answer.

    This group is for discussion; it's not a help desk. Discussion will be
    what discussion will be. The alt.html Refund Manager's name is Helen
    Waite.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 5, 2008
  18. Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> This group is for discussion; it's not a help desk. Discussion will
    >> be what discussion will be. The alt.html Refund Manager's name is
    >> Helen Waite.

    > Who is represented by the law firm of Dooey, Cheetham & Howe.

    There used to be a real law firm in Camp Hill, PA named
    Blank & Wallet

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 6, 2008
  19. Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Mr. X. wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have found answers to my questions ...
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, anyway.
    >>>
    >>> For frames, for my opinion, it does some arrangemants on what you do, even
    >>> of its complication.
    >>> It also compitable for all browsers (netscape, IE for all versions, and more
    >>> ...)
    >>> When you know how using it - it can be proffitable.
    >>>
    >>> I didn't mean to open a useless argument. If someone doesn't know, so he/she
    >>> shouldn't answer.

    >> This group is for discussion; it's not a help desk. Discussion will be
    >> what discussion will be. The alt.html Refund Manager's name is Helen
    >> Waite.

    > Who is represented by the law firm of Dooey, Cheetham & Howe.

    No, actually he can go straight to Helen Waite.

    --
    Blinky T. "that's the gag, see <g>" Shark
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 6, 2008