Some RAMdisk solution?

Discussion in 'C++' started by Oliver, Oct 29, 2003.

  1. Oliver

    Oliver Guest

    From the application that I'm developing, I have a need to call extern
    application (16-bit DOS program). That application can receive input data
    from file specified in command line. Similar, output data could be written
    in file also specified in command line. From my application I'm creating
    input file, call the program, then read output file. Since I need very
    intensive communication (many calls of external application during run
    time), multiple file creation on hard disk and their reading dramatically
    decreases performance of my application. Smarter scheduling could maybe
    improve performance, but not enough.

    Changes in extern application could not be done, because it's a freeware
    program written long time ago, and I couldn't get source for it.

    I'm wondering is there a way to use RAM instead of hard disk for this
    communication. I would like to create some kind of RAMdisk partition
    run-time (without restarting whole system, please) on which I would create
    intermediate 'files'.

    Does anybody have experience with this issue? Is maybe any commercial
    solution available?

    Any help will be appreciated.

    Oliver

    Oliver, Oct 29, 2003

  2. Oliver

    Oliver Guest

    Yes, I realize now that was gone off-topic, so I apologize to all.
    I sent my question to microsoft.public.win2000.file_system newsgroup,
    so let's hope that address is correct this time.
    I apologize once more for flooding this group.

    Greetings,
    Oliver

    Oliver, Oct 30, 2003