Some rather complex animated line/circle drawing

Ben

I must preface this post by saying that I am not a javascript GURU,
altho I am reasonably familiar with javascript and have worked on some
enterprise-level systems which use it...

Essentially what I wish to do here is the following:

Given a start position in X/Y in pixels, lets call it start, and an
array of end points, end[0....N], I want to be able to draw animated
lines which originate from start and wend their way in an animated
fashon to each of the end points. The flashier and nicer the animation
here the better, and I have a lot of leeway as far as how the lines
are drawn. Any ideas? Thanks!

Evertjan.

Ben wrote on 04 sep 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:
I must preface this post by saying that I am not a javascript GURU,
altho I am reasonably familiar with javascript and have worked on some
enterprise-level systems which use it...

Essentially what I wish to do here is the following:

Given a start position in X/Y in pixels, lets call it start, and an
array of end points, end[0....N], I want to be able to draw animated
lines which originate from start and wend their way in an animated
fashon to each of the end points. The flashier and nicer the animation
here the better, and I have a lot of leeway as far as how the lines
are drawn. Any ideas? Thanks!

Not quite your question, but please look at the moving arrows I developed
earlier, tested for IE6:

<http://devrijehuisarts.org/test/jsarrow.asp>

<http://devrijehuisarts.org/test/jsarrow2.asp>

Jim Ley

Given a start position in X/Y in pixels, lets call it start, and an
array of end points, end[0....N], I want to be able to draw animated
lines which originate from start and wend their way in an animated
fashon to each of the end points. The flashier and nicer the animation
here the better, and I have a lot of leeway as far as how the lines
are drawn. Any ideas? Thanks!

Use a vector language, SVG, Flash and VML can all be created using
javascript languages, flash must of course be hosted in a compiled
flash file, the others are straight text markup languages.

Jim.

Ben

This is something I had thought of, but I was hoping to avoid flash
altogether in leiu of using technology which is built into the
browser. Lets say, for the sake of argument, that I cannot use flash.
Is what I propose to do at all possible to implement using only
javascript?
Use Macromedia Flash, this is exactly what it was created for!

Ben said:
I must preface this post by saying that I am not a javascript GURU,
altho I am reasonably familiar with javascript and have worked on some
enterprise-level systems which use it...

Essentially what I wish to do here is the following:

Given a start position in X/Y in pixels, lets call it start, and an
array of end points, end[0....N], I want to be able to draw animated
lines which originate from start and wend their way in an animated
fashon to each of the end points. The flashier and nicer the animation
here the better, and I have a lot of leeway as far as how the lines
are drawn. Any ideas? Thanks!

Douglas Crockford

This is something I had thought of, but I was hoping to avoid flash
altogether in leiu of using technology which is built into the
browser. Lets say, for the sake of argument, that I cannot use flash.
Is what I propose to do at all possible to implement using only
javascript?

You can make lots of tiny colored divs. You can then place them in rows. I have
made interactive splines where you drag three control points and the divs get
moved around to fill in the curves. This stuff works in all standard browsers,
but is fastest in IE.

http://www.crockford.com

peter seliger

(e-mail address removed) (Ben) wrote in message
This is something I had thought of, but I was hoping to avoid flash
altogether in leiu of using technology which is built into the
browser. Lets say, for the sake of argument, that I cannot use flash.
Is what I propose to do at all possible to implement using only
javascript?

hi Ben,

you may want to check this out:

http://www.walterzorn.com/jsgraphics/jsgraphics_e.htm

regards - peterS. - (e-mail address removed)

Geir Klemetsen

I've seen this being done a couple of years ago. I saw the code, and the
code called a .dll file that is a part of windows. Cannot remember what file
it was. Could also been an ocx-file.