    recommendations?

    Thanks,

    Michael
    Michael Hesse, Jul 24, 2005

  2. Michael Hesse

    Alan Krueger Guest

    Michael Hesse wrote:
    > New to Java. What is the difference between an SDK and a JDK? I see that
    > there is SDK 1.4 and JDK 5.0. Should I use one over the other?

    The JDK (Java Development Kit) contains development tools, including the
    bytecode compiler. The JRE (Java Runtime Environment) contains just the
    runtime. JDK became the Java 2 SDK in v1.2, but has (apparently) again
    become JDK.
    Alan Krueger, Jul 24, 2005

  3. On 2005-07-24, Michael Hesse penned:
    > Hi,
    >
    > New to Java. What is the difference between an SDK and a JDK? I
    > see that there is SDK 1.4 and JDK 5.0. Should I use one over the
    > other?

    SDK vs. JDK is just a naming convention; no difference. 5.0 is I
    believe really 1.5. 1.5 adds some interesting new language features, but
    it really depends on what you can expect your users to have installed.
    You won't be at any real disadvantage if you use 1.4 right now, and
    your users will be more likely to have 1.4 than 1.5.

    > What is the difference between Java Studio Creator and Net Beans?
    > Any recommendations?

    No idea.

    --
    monique

    Ask smart questions, get good answers:
    Monique Y. Mudama, Jul 24, 2005
  4. Michael Hesse wrote:
    > New to Java.

    Beginner's questions are best handled in comp.lang.java.help

    > What is the difference between an SDK and a JDK? I see that
    > there is SDK 1.4 and JDK 5.0.

    Sun employs a bunch of bored people who have nothing better to do than
    to rename and renumber products. These people have a fixation on
    renaming and renumbering Java - after doing the same with other Sun
    products like the Solaris OS and the C/C++ compiler for years.

    E.g. once the Java SDK (Software Development Kit) was called JDK (Java
    Development Kit). Than some of this bored guys at Sun renamed the JDK to
    something like "Java 2 SDK". Later, still bored, they once again renamed
    it back to JDK (with Java 1.5/5.0).

    The same happens with the numbering. Suddenly Java 1.2 was called "Java
    2". But of course Java 1.3 was called "Java 2 SE 1.3" (or something
    along the line). With Java 1.5 they did it again. Java 1.5 is suddenly
    called Java 5.0.

    Enough? Well, still not for the bored guys at Sun. How would one now
    expect the next major version of Java to be called? "Java 6.0", right?
    Wrong! That one will be "Java 6". Sun will drop the minor number. Of
    course, this will open up a new can of worms, because how are they now
    going to identify maintenance releases? I would expect atrocities like
    "Java 6 SE Build 1.6.3_b24" in the future.

    > Should I use one over the other?

    I would suggest you start with Java 1.5, alias Java 5.0. Unless you have
    a good reason to start with the older 1.4 JDK/SDK. Such a good reason
    might e.g. be that your textbook (you do have a textbook, don't you?)
    doesn't cover the new Java 1.5 features (e.g. generics).

    If you follow a 1.4 textbook but you use Java 1.5. you will get a bunch
    of warnings from the compiler because one is supposed to do some things
    differently in 1.5.

    > What is the difference between Java Studio Creator and Net Beans?

    NetBeans is Sun's free IDE, which is a classic IDE (supports the usual
    things on expects from an IDE).

    Java Studio Creator is a commercial Sun product, which is centered
    around visual "programming". One is supposed to drag and drop stuff to
    somehow assemble an applications. Some years ago one would have called
    that a RAID tool.

    JSC is unsuitable if you want to learn the programming language.

    > Any
    > recommendations?

    Use non of these. Consider using the command line tools that come with
    the JDK/SDK, so you get an idea of how things really work.

    If you are more interested in object-oriented programming than Java,
    consider the BlueJ IDE http://www.bluej.org That IDE is particularly
    made for students.

    /Thomas

    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:
    Thomas Weidenfeller, Jul 25, 2005
  5. Thanks for the very thorough answer. I am pretty sure I am less confused.
    ;-)

    And yes, I am working with a 1.4 book and using the command lines tools for
    now.

    Michael

    Michael Hesse, Jul 25, 2005
  6. Michael Hesse

    Chris Smith Guest

    Thomas Weidenfeller <> wrote:
    > If you follow a 1.4 textbook but you use Java 1.5. you will get a bunch
    > of warnings from the compiler because one is supposed to do some things
    > differently in 1.5.

    It's worth noting that if you do anything non-trivial, you are in fact
    bound to get warnings anyway from 1.5 code. Java 1.5 has unfortunately
    made it practically impossible to write most realistic applications
    without getting compiler warnings. For those of us who are used to
    treating warnings with great respect, this is nothing but infuriating.
    I've had to disable the type safety warnings from Eclipse to avoid this
    horrid situation.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation
    Chris Smith, Jul 26, 2005
  7. Chris Smith wrote:
    > It's worth noting that if you do anything non-trivial, you are in fact
    > bound to get warnings anyway from 1.5 code. Java 1.5 has unfortunately
    > made it practically impossible to write most realistic applications
    > without getting compiler warnings.

    Tells a lot about the real-world experience of the JCP committee which
    did the 1.5 spec., doesn't it?

    /Thomas

    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ: