someone mentioned iframes recently

Per Jessen

I believe there is one really good reason for using iframes or frames - if you
need to display content in two different charactersets on one page. E.g. a
page which is part ISO-8859-1 and part Windows-1251. In this particular case I
have no control over the 2nd part (in Windows-1251), and so converting it to
UTF-8 before display is not an option.
Or can anyone think of a solution that does not involve an iframe?

Lauri Raittila

I believe there is one really good reason for using iframes or frames - if you
need to display content in two different charactersets on one page. E.g. a
page which is part ISO-8859-1 and part Windows-1251.

I wonder what you mean. If you mean that you need to show windows-1251
coded stuff using ISO-8859-1, which might make sence in some specific
page (considering effects of wrong encoding info etc...), you are most
likely right. But you don't seem to have such page.
In this particular case I
have no control over the 2nd part (in Windows-1251), and so converting it to
UTF-8 before display is not an option.

Well, what is your case? You don't have permission to do anything to that
code? If you have that permission, I think you mean you are not able to
do that. If you don't have permission, that doesn't make any argument.
Or can anyone think of a solution that does not involve an iframe?

Ever heard of numerical character references? Yes, it may take more
bytes, but still better than frames.

Per Jessen

Lauri said:
I wonder what you mean. If you mean that you need to show windows-1251
coded stuff using ISO-8859-1, which might make sence in some specific
page (considering effects of wrong encoding info etc...), you are most
likely right. But you don't seem to have such page.

I have two source documents - one is in ISO-8859-1, the other Windows-1251.
They need to be presented as one page.
Well, what is your case? You don't have permission to do anything to that
code? If you have that permission, I think you mean you are not able to
do that. If you don't have permission, that doesn't make any argument.

Primarily the 2nd part (in e.g. Windows-1251 or some doublebyte charset) is
given to me as data, and although I can fairly often convert the data to UTF-8,
it far from always works. Plus the conversion to e.g. UTF-8 often screws up
the final result and make it less legible than when it's rendered in the
original charset.
Ever heard of numerical character references? Yes, it may take more
bytes, but still better than frames.

Size doesn't matter. I'm not sure how numerical character references would help
me? Using iframe as I do now is simply perfect. Btw, what exactly is so bad
about iframe?

/Per Jessen, Zurich