    --
    Per Jessen, Zurich
    Let your spam stop here -- http://www.spamchek.com
    Per Jessen, Dec 20, 2004

  2. in alt.html, Per Jessen wrote:
    > I believe there is one really good reason for using iframes or frames - if you
    > need to display content in two different charactersets on one page. E.g. a
    > page which is part ISO-8859-1 and part Windows-1251.

    I wonder what you mean. If you mean that you need to show windows-1251
    coded stuff using ISO-8859-1, which might make sence in some specific
    page (considering effects of wrong encoding info etc...), you are most
    likely right. But you don't seem to have such page.

    > In this particular case I
    > have no control over the 2nd part (in Windows-1251), and so converting it to
    > UTF-8 before display is not an option.

    Well, what is your case? You don't have permission to do anything to that
    code? If you have that permission, I think you mean you are not able to
    do that. If you don't have permission, that doesn't make any argument.

    > Or can anyone think of a solution that does not involve an iframe?

    Ever heard of numerical character references? Yes, it may take more
    bytes, but still better than frames.

    Lauri Raittila, Dec 20, 2004

  3. Per Jessen

    Per Jessen Guest

    Lauri Raittila wrote:

    > in alt.html, Per Jessen wrote:
    >> I believe there is one really good reason for using iframes or frames - if
    >> you need to display content in two different charactersets on one page.
    >> E.g. a page which is part ISO-8859-1 and part Windows-1251.

    > I wonder what you mean. If you mean that you need to show windows-1251
    > coded stuff using ISO-8859-1, which might make sence in some specific
    > page (considering effects of wrong encoding info etc...), you are most
    > likely right. But you don't seem to have such page.

    I have two source documents - one is in ISO-8859-1, the other Windows-1251.
    They need to be presented as one page.

    >> In this particular case I
    >> have no control over the 2nd part (in Windows-1251), and so converting it to
    >> UTF-8 before display is not an option.

    > Well, what is your case? You don't have permission to do anything to that
    > code? If you have that permission, I think you mean you are not able to
    > do that. If you don't have permission, that doesn't make any argument.

    Primarily the 2nd part (in e.g. Windows-1251 or some doublebyte charset) is
    given to me as data, and although I can fairly often convert the data to UTF-8,
    it far from always works. Plus the conversion to e.g. UTF-8 often screws up
    the final result and make it less legible than when it's rendered in the
    original charset.

    >> Or can anyone think of a solution that does not involve an iframe?

    > Ever heard of numerical character references? Yes, it may take more
    > bytes, but still better than frames.

    Size doesn't matter. I'm not sure how numerical character references would help
    me? Using iframe as I do now is simply perfect. Btw, what exactly is so bad
    about iframe?

    /Per Jessen, Zurich
    Per Jessen, Dec 20, 2004