Someone must have done this

Chris Botha

Hi, I've tried the SQL Server newsgroups and it seems nobody did it there, I
got no replies, or those that did it don't want to tell.

I have VS2005 Beta 2 installed with VS2003 and everything works good enough
with an occasional Beta hick-up but nothing serious.
On the same computer I have SQL Server 2000 and I did not install SQL Server
2005 as I am afraid that it will break SQL Server 2000.
The best that I could find so far is that Dan Jones from M$ mentioned in the
following thread that at RTM the two SQL Servers will live happily on the
same computer.
http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=71184

I also posted the question there, but Dan Jones did not reply either, on
holidays, or new is not new anymore, or busy, etc. RTM is still nearly two
months away and I would like to do some IIS and SQL Mobile stuff. A desktop
application and SQL Mobile is fine though, but not IIS. When attempting to
use SQL Mobile through IIS, I get the following error:
"SQL Mobile usage is restricted on this platform. To use SQL Mobile, you
must install SQL Server 2005, Visual Studio 2005, bla bla".

So I want to install SQL Server 2005, but only if it will not break the 2000
installation. I also have the client tools, Enterprise Manager and Query
Analyzer, and then MS Reporting Services installed.
So, if someone was brave enough to attempt this, what was the outcome, or
any pointers to horror tales, or pointers to documentation that encourages
this, etc.

Thanks.

Damien

Sahil said:
Chris,

In my experience I was able to have both SQL2K and 2k5 co-exist on the same
machine without much issues. They were both different instances and only one
could be running at a time. Also 2k5 tools were backward compatible and 2k
tools were not forward compatible.
How odd. I've got 2k and 2k5 both running as I type this. Not
encountered any problems. I left 2k running as the default instance,
and set 2k5 as a named instance "yukon". Can't tell you which release
of 2k5, other than it's folders are labelled "SQL Server 2005 CTP", and
version is reported as "9.0.1187"

Damien

Sahil Malik [MVP]

Maybe you are rigth Damien, I've since killed that installation that I had
both running on. Maybe I had to keep one running at a time if both were
default instances. Bit hazy there ;-)

Anyway, bottomline, it can be done. If I were Chris, I'd install it as a
different instance and see if they both run together. If not, hey you can
always disable one huh?

- Sahil Malik [MVP]
ADO.NET 2.0 book -
http://codebetter.com/blogs/sahil.malik/archive/2005/05/13/63199.aspx

JIMCO Software

Chris said:
So I want to install SQL Server 2005, but only if it will not break
the 2000 installation. I also have the client tools, Enterprise
Manager and Query Analyzer, and then MS Reporting Services installed.
So, if someone was brave enough to attempt this, what was the
outcome, or any pointers to horror tales, or pointers to
documentation that encourages this, etc.

I've got both running without issues. I'm currently running the August CTP.

--
Jim Cheshire
JIMCO Software

FrontPage add-ins for FrontPage 2000 - 2003

Kevin Spencer

"M$" means "I resent Microsoft because they are as successful as I wish I
could be, but never will."

;-),

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

Nick

Hi Kevin,
"M$" means "I resent Microsoft because they are as successful as I wish I
could be, but never will."

That's true, apparently some people have other reasons to use that too,
not sure what though.

Nick.

Jeremy S.

<< "M$" means "I resent Microsoft because they are as successful as I wish I
could be, but never will." >>

Exactly...

That's why I questioned the OP. Wondering if he knew that he looked nuts...
as in "I resent Microsoft - but I'm using their products and asking for
their help - although I'm still going to take weak little shots at them with
the dollar sign thing." The question I perhaps should have asked is "why are
you even using their products and posting here"? Okay - he could be a
"closet user" of Microsoft products -- otherwise an embarrassment to his
local open source community/outsider/subculture thing...

Nick

Hi there,
That's why I questioned the OP. Wondering if he knew that he looked
nuts... as in "I resent Microsoft - but I'm using their products and
asking for their help - although I'm still going to take weak little shots
at them with the dollar sign thing." The question I perhaps should have
asked is "why are you even using their products and posting here"? Okay -
he could be a "closet user" of Microsoft products -- otherwise an
embarrassment to his local open source community/outsider/subculture
thing...

Sorry I don't totally agree with your statement there, posting in a
Microsoft Newsgroup is not asking for help directly from Microsoft. It's
asking for help from MVP's and *mainly* the end users of Microsofts
products. I'm not disprespecting any MS staff that do reply to posts as I
have recieved plentiful help in the past. But this is the idea of most
newsgroups...

Nick.

Chris Botha

This time you are not serious, right, else I may think that you are an
a$$hole.
Don't feel offended if you are not serious.

Jeremy S.

So, your use of the dollar sign continues to be a way you take shots at
people - thus supporting our theories about you. You aren't helping your
cause.

Chris Botha

Plea$e don't $ee it like that, deep down I have a good hart and I want to be
your friend.

William \(Bill\) Vaughn

As in Gary?

--
William (Bill) Vaughn

William \(Bill\) Vaughn

Gary Hart. Presidential (Vice President) candidate some years ago. He said
he had "hart".

--
William (Bill) Vaughn