something else instead of PIL?

Reimar Bauer

Hi

what has happened to PIL? No updates since two years.

Or does one know an alternative lib for resizing images?

cheers
Reimar

skip

Reimar> Hi what has happened to PIL? No updates since two years.

It's well-written, stable code. As far as I know it does what people want
(at least it's done everything I've needed when I've used it). Why should
it matter that there hasn't been an official release in two years?

Chris Rebert

Hi

what has happened to PIL? No updates since two years.

The Python Imaging Library is still current; I guess they just haven't
found any new bugs or seen fit to add new functionality in a while,
though I presume they'll start working on a Python 3.0 port
eventually.

If you don't like PIL, there's always the (much less popular) Python
bindings to ImageMagick:
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/api.php#python

Cheers,
Chris

Daniel Fetchinson

what has happened to PIL? No updates since two years.
The Python Imaging Library is still current; I guess they just haven't
found any new bugs or seen fit to add new functionality in a while,
though I presume they'll start working on a Python 3.0 port
eventually.

That's actually an interesting question. Does anybody know if PIL is
being ported to 3.0? Are there such plans? Maybe even code?

Cheers,
Daniel

imageguy

Hi

what has happened to PIL? No updates since two years.

Or does one know an alternative lib for resizing images?

cheers
Reimar

I have found the FreeImage library with the Python bindings quite
workable. I work with multi-page TIF images and this seemed to be the
best option.

The FreeImage library seems to be actively maintained too (Last
release in July 08 with updates to many of the image processing plug-
ins). The python bindings took me a bit to understand as they try to
emulate PIL, however they are implemented using ctypes, so you can
change/manage yourself if needed. I found working directly with the
functions exported from the .dll the best option and gave the best
performance.

Freeimage site: http://freeimage.sourceforge.net/
Python bindings: http://freeimagepy.sourceforge.net/

Hope that helps. Good luck. Working with images/graphics can make my
brain hurt sometimes.

g.

Reimar Bauer

Reimar> Hi what has happened to PIL? No updates since two years.

It's well-written, stable code. As far as I know it does what people want
(at least it's done everything I've needed when I've used it). Why should
it matter that there hasn't been an official release in two years?

I am interested to get some new features added e.g. some special
conversion routines for colorblind people.
http://scien.stanford.edu/class/psych221/projects/05/ofidaner/colorblindness_project.htm

How can that be archieved?

cheers
Reimar

Reimar Bauer

imageguy said:
I have found the FreeImage library with the Python bindings quite
workable. I work with multi-page TIF images and this seemed to be the
best option.

The FreeImage library seems to be actively maintained too (Last
release in July 08 with updates to many of the image processing plug-
ins). The python bindings took me a bit to understand as they try to
emulate PIL, however they are implemented using ctypes, so you can
change/manage yourself if needed. I found working directly with the
functions exported from the .dll the best option and gave the best
performance.

Freeimage site: http://freeimage.sourceforge.net/
Python bindings: http://freeimagepy.sourceforge.net/

Hope that helps. Good luck. Working with images/graphics can make my
brain hurt sometimes.

g.

thanks!

Reimar