Something odd with JDK 1.6.0_03

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, Oct 16, 2007.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    Ever since I installed JDK 1.6.9_03 I am having various kinds of
    random trouble with Java.

    For example Java web start will show the splash screen, then terminate
    without a message. I look with the task manager and see one or more
    copies of Java.exe or javaw.exe running an services (not as
    applications) Sometimes I can kill them. Sometimes I can't.
    Rebooting clears the problem.

    Sometimes Jet applications just freeze. Again I can clear the problem
    by rebooting to get rid of these extra javaw.exe and java.exe running.

    Sometimes apps just seem incredibly sluggish, then recover.

    Often in IntelliJ Applets run under it just freeze and cannot be
    killed. The same Applet runs fine after a reboot.

    I was wondering if anyone else was having similar problems or has any
    clue to the cause of this odd behaviour.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Oct 16, 2007

  2. Roedy Green

    Guest

    On Oct 15, 6:15 pm, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > Ever since I installed JDK 1.6.9_03 I am having various kinds of
    > random trouble with Java.
    >
    > For example Java web start will show the splash screen, then terminate
    > without a message. I look with the task manager and see one or more
    > copies of Java.exe or javaw.exe running an services (not as
    > applications) Sometimes I can kill them. Sometimes I can't.
    > Rebooting clears the problem.
    >
    > Sometimes Jet applications just freeze. Again I can clear the problem
    > by rebooting to get rid of these extra javaw.exe and java.exe running.
    >
    > Sometimes apps just seem incredibly sluggish, then recover.
    >
    > Often in IntelliJ Applets run under it just freeze and cannot be
    > killed. The same Applet runs fine after a reboot.
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone else was having similar problems or has any
    > clue to the cause of this odd behaviour.
    > --
    > Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    > The Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com

    Yes, I've just discovered that JavaFX apps launch via JWS fine with
    1.5.0_13, but not with 1.6.0_03 - this on WinXP SP2 only. 1.6.0_03
    works fine on Ubuntu linux Feisty OS version.

    I've found very little searching around the java.net forums so far,
    but with this clue in hand, I'd give it another try.

    -Brad Mayer
    , Nov 1, 2007

  3. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:52:33 -0700, wrote,

    >> Ever since I installed JDK 1.6.9_03 I am having various kinds of
    >> random trouble with Java.

    I reinstalled Windows Vista and most of this went away. However, I am
    having a mysterious problem with Intellij 7.0.1. I (which uses Java).
    It thinks it is saving code style configurations, but there are no
    files actually saved. This makes it unusable.

    Roedy Green, Nov 1, 2007
  4. wrote:
    > Yes, I've just discovered that JavaFX apps launch via JWS fine with
    > 1.5.0_13, but not with 1.6.0_03 - this on WinXP SP2 only. 1.6.0_03
    > works fine on Ubuntu linux Feisty OS version.

    Works fine for me, though. (Firefox 2.0.0.8)
    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "Sweet, was Christ crucified to create this chat?"
    John W. Kennedy, Nov 1, 2007
  5. Roedy Green

    Guest

    On Nov 1, 2:40 pm, "John W. Kennedy" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Yes, I've just discovered that JavaFX apps launch via JWS fine with
    > > 1.5.0_13, but not with 1.6.0_03 - this on WinXP SP2 only. 1.6.0_03
    > > works fine on Ubuntu linux Feisty OS version.

    > Works fine for me, though. (Firefox 2.0.0.8)
    > --
    > John W. Kennedy
    > "Sweet, was Christ crucified to create this chat?"
    > -- Charles Williams. "Judgement at Chelmsford"

    Well, I've just confirmed that JavaFX apps launch via JWS fine with
    1.5.0_13 AND 1.6.0_02, but reconfirmed that I get

    java.lang.SecurityException: Bad main-class name
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    with 1.6.0_03 ONLY. WinXP.

    Shouldn't have much to do with the browser version - in all cases the
    jnlp downloads via the Firefox downloader.

    I'm certainly not going to reinstall the OS - especially as Microsoft
    frowns upon doing things yourself.

    -Brad
    , Nov 2, 2007
  6. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 21:23:15 -0700, wrote,

    >main-class name

    I wonder if 1.6.0.3 is pickier, e.g. main must be void, static ...
    Roedy Green, Nov 3, 2007