Something simular to java's hsqldb for python??

pet100us

Hi,

Is there some program that is simular to java's hsqldb
(http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/). It is a relational database that can
easily be used within a small java program without installing a MySQL,
Postgresql etc. It is used within the same virtual machine whitout
installing anything extra.

Is there somthing similar for python? I need a small database that I
can build into my application. When the program starts the database
should start and when the programm exits the database can stop. I know
that the samething could be done with xml files or binary files. The
database has some advantages. e.g. when I want to change the program
that it uses a "real" database I dont need to replace much of the
code. I just change the database driver an off we go. (the programmers
dream)

Thanks in advance
pet100us

Guest

Is there some program that is simular to java's hsqldb
(http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/). It is a relational database that can
easily be used within a small java program without installing a MySQL,
Postgresql etc. It is used within the same virtual machine whitout
installing anything extra.

Is there somthing similar for python?

sqllite has Python bindings, and you can access the DB from other languages
also.

Steve Menard

pet100us said:
[...]

Others have mentioned SQLlite. There is also gadfly (
http://gadfly.sourceforge.net/ ) which while less efficient than
sqllite, is pure python and thus more portable.

Steve