Sorry for reposting - can not figure out...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by J Snaith, Apr 5, 2010.

  1. J Snaith

    J Snaith Guest

    Very sorry for reposting same message. I cannot figure out this concern
    issue....

    Good day. I have asp.net page in vb.net that gets set of photos records
    from a database table (paths to photos). Loads that data into session
    datatable, divide into parts and display each part at timer interval. For
    eg. every 7 seconds display first 5 (of 20) photos in asp.net datagrid, then
    next set of 5, then next set of 5 photos, etcetera. When all 20 photos have
    been displayed (paged) I want to show new panel for 7 seconds (pnlWarning).
    Hide pnlViewPhotos and show pnlWarning. Then, start loop again and start
    displaying paged photos again (in pnlViewPhotos). Then after 20 display
    warning again, etcetera. I have the code working well to page photos but
    cannot determine where to show pnlWarning panel and hide other panel for the
    7 seconds after all photos displayed, then start displaying photos again
    after 7 seconds of making pnlWarning visible=true. Could you please take
    look at following code snippet and please advise where I may accomplish this
    tasks? Any direction you have would be appreciate and of great help. Thank
    you and have fantastic day.

    'click button to start
    Sub btnDisplayPagingPhotos_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
    System.EventArgs)
    Dim varPhotosID As String = 24
    session("thePageSize") = 7
    Timer1.Interval = 7 'seconds
    GetPhotos(varPhotosID)
    End Sub

    Private Sub GetPhotos(ByVal photosid As String)
    Dim ssql As String
    Dim cnn As New SqlConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings.Get("cnn"))
    cnn.Open()
    ssql = "exec procGetPhotos '" & photosid & "'"

    pnlViewPhotos.visible = True

    session("da") = New SqlDataAdapter(ssql, cnn)
    session("ds") = New DataSet
    session("da").Fill(session("ds"), "photos")
    session("dtPhotosSource") = session("ds").Tables("photos")

    getPhotosData()

    cnn.Close()
    End Sub

    Private Sub goToFirstSetOfPhotos()
    If session("theCurrentPage") = 1 Then
    Return
    End If
    session("theCurrentPage") = 1
    session("theRecordNumber") = 0
    LoadPhotos()
    End Sub

    Private Sub LoadPhotos()
    Timer1.Interval = ddlPagingInterval.SelectedItem.Value
    session("dtTemp") = session("dtPhotosSource").Clone
    If session("theCurrentPage") = session("thePageCount") Then
    session("endRec") = session("theMaxRecord")
    Else
    session("endRec") = session("thePageSize") * session("theCurrentPage")
    End If
    session("startRec") = session("theRecordNumber")

    'if photos actually exist
    Dim intCount As Integer
    intCount = session("dtPhotosSource").Rows.Count
    If intCount > 0 Then
    Dim i As Integer
    For i = session("startRec") To session("endRec") - 1
    session("dtTemp").ImportRow(session("dtPhotosSource").Rows(i))
    session("theRecordNumber") = session("theRecordNumber") + 1
    Next
    End If

    dgPhotos.DataSource = session("dtTemp")
    dgPhotos.Databind()
    End Sub

    Private Sub getPhotosData()
    session("theMaxRecord") = session("dtPhotosSource").Rows.Count
    session("thePageCount") = session("theMaxRecord") \ session("thePageSize")
    If (session("theMaxRecord") Mod session("thePageSize")) > 0 Then
    session("thePageCount") = session("thePageCount") + 1
    End If
    session("theCurrentPage") = 1
    session("theRecordNumber") = 0
    LoadPhotos()
    End Sub

    Private Sub Timer1_Elapsed(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
    System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Elapsed
    session("theCurrentPage") = session("theCurrentPage") + 1
    If session("theCurrentPage") > session("thePageCount") Then
    session("theCurrentPage") = session("thePageCount")
    If session("theRecordNumber") = session("theMaxRecord") Then
    session("theCurrentPage") = 1
    getPhotosData()
    goToFirstSetOfPhotos()
    Dim varPhotosID As String = 24
    GetPhotos(photosid)
    Return
    End If
    End If
    LoadPhotos()
    End Sub

    J Snaith, Apr 5, 2010

  2. On 4/4/2010 8:45 PM, J Snaith wrote:
    > Very sorry for reposting same message. I cannot figure out this concern
    > issue....
    >
    > Good day. I have asp.net page in vb.net that gets set of photos records
    > from a database table (paths to photos). Loads that data into session
    > datatable, divide into parts and display each part at timer interval. For
    > eg. every 7 seconds display first 5 (of 20) photos in asp.net datagrid,
    > then
    > next set of 5, then next set of 5 photos, etcetera. When all 20 photos have
    > been displayed (paged) I want to show new panel for 7 seconds (pnlWarning).
    > Hide pnlViewPhotos and show pnlWarning. Then, start loop again and start
    > displaying paged photos again (in pnlViewPhotos). Then after 20 display
    > warning again, etcetera. I have the code working well to page photos but
    > cannot determine where to show pnlWarning panel and hide other panel for
    > the
    > 7 seconds after all photos displayed, then start displaying photos again
    > after 7 seconds of making pnlWarning visible=true. Could you please take
    > look at following code snippet and please advise where I may accomplish
    > this
    > tasks? Any direction you have would be appreciate and of great help. Thank
    > you and have fantastic day.

    <Snip>

    > Private Sub Timer1_Elapsed(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
    > System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Elapsed
    > session("theCurrentPage") = session("theCurrentPage") + 1
    > If session("theCurrentPage") > session("thePageCount") Then
    > session("theCurrentPage") = session("thePageCount")
    > If session("theRecordNumber") = session("theMaxRecord") Then
    > session("theCurrentPage") = 1
    > getPhotosData()
    > goToFirstSetOfPhotos()
    > Dim varPhotosID As String = 24
    > GetPhotos(photosid)
    > Return
    > End If
    > End If
    > LoadPhotos()
    > End Sub

    I saw your previous posts, but figured an ASP.Net person with experience
    with the System.Web.UI.Timer control would be better. I have no
    experience with that control.

    Your timer handler checks if the current page is greater than the page
    count, and resets it to the page count on true. Instead of this, set it
    to zero. Later, check if the value is zero, and if so, set the
    pnlWarning to true, and the pnlViewPhotos visible value to false. Make
    sure on a value of One, to reverse the visibility.

    --
    Mike

    Family Tree Mike, Apr 5, 2010

  3. Be aware that there are many other possibilities

    http://www.vb-tips.com/ServerClock.aspx

    Cor Ligthert[MVP], Apr 5, 2010
  4. J Snaith

    J Snaith Guest

    Thank you much for the reply. I have been trying many things but cannot get
    it working. I will continue with your suggestions and see if I can get it
    to work. Thank you.

    J Snaith, Apr 5, 2010
  5. J Snaith

    J Snaith Guest

    Thank you Cor for the link.

    J Snaith, Apr 5, 2010
  6. J Snaith

    J Snaith Guest

    Hi Mike. Well I've tried many different things in the timer interval to
    accomplish this task, however, something is not working. Both panels
    display at same time and don't disappear. I don't think I'm familiar enough
    with timer to complete this. Do you have any further advice on how this
    task can be accomplished? Appreciate any feedback and guidance, thank you
    kindly.

    J Snaith, Apr 5, 2010
  7. On 4/5/2010 8:28 AM, J Snaith wrote:
    > Hi Mike. Well I've tried many different things in the timer interval to
    > accomplish this task, however, something is not working. Both panels
    > display at same time and don't disappear. I don't think I'm familiar
    > enough with timer to complete this. Do you have any further advice on
    > how this task can be accomplished? Appreciate any feedback and guidance,
    > thank you kindly.

    Again, I've never used this timer control, but from reading
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.timer.aspx, it
    looks like I would put my two panels that need to be toggled for
    visibility into a containing UpdatePanel. Something like this:

    <asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdPnl" runat="server">
    <asp:panel ID="pnlViewPhotos" runat="server"/>
    <asp:panel ID="pnlWarning" runat="server" visible="false"/>
    </asp:UpdatePanel>

    --
    Mike

    Family Tree Mike, Apr 6, 2010
  8. J Snaith

    J Snaith Guest

    Thanks Mike. Appreciate the comments and link. Read the contents nut am
    still now sure how to apply this to my case. I've been trying and trying
    but cannot get my stuff to work as I want. There must be a way that I am
    missing.

    J Snaith, Apr 6, 2010