Sort Direction in ObjectDataSource?

ASF

Hey all,
In objectdatasource there is a property called sortExpression which is
used in many "custom sorting" applications. My question: is there a
sortDirection property? I can't seem to find a reference to one, but
otherwise, how does a gridview (for instance) know which direction to
sort by when default sorting is used?

Any links or comments are appreciated. Thanks

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello ASF,

GridView has the SortDirection property for that
Look at that article where it describes in details http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/012308-1.aspx

---
WBR,

A> Hey all,
A> In objectdatasource there is a property called sortExpression which
A> is
A> used in many "custom sorting" applications. My question: is there a
A> sortDirection property? I can't seem to find a reference to one, but
A> otherwise, how does a gridview (for instance) know which direction to
A> sort by when default sorting is used?
A> Any links or comments are appreciated. Thanks

ASF

Thanks for the response Michael. I read the article and it's update
version and I just want to ensure I'm totally clear on something. Am I
right in believing that the objectdatasource has properties to support
one-way sorting but NOT bi-directional sorting? I.E., there is no
sortdirection in objectdatasource?

ASF

Please disregard my previous post. Here's my real question. I just
completed this tutorial:

"Tutorial 26: Sorting Custom-Paged Data"
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb497937.aspx

And it leaves me confused. Bi-directional sorting is occurring at the
gridview level, and I see how a sortExpression is passed to the stored
procedure via the ODS and BLL, but I don't see how the gridview is
passing a sortdirection? HOW is bi-directional sorting occurring? I
would understand IF just the subset of records sent back from SQL
Server were sorted (just 10 records sorted) bi-directionally, but
that's not what's occurring. What am I missing here?