    using a select sort for 1 dimensional arrays but it is not working for a 2
    dimensional array. The 2 dimensional array are float elements. Thanks in
    advance

    Todd, Apr 6, 2004

  2. Todd

    Howard Guest

    "Todd" <fthdg> wrote in message news:...
    > I'm new to c++ and was wondering how to sort a 2 dimensional array. I'm
    > using a select sort for 1 dimensional arrays but it is not working for a 2
    > dimensional array. The 2 dimensional array are float elements. Thanks in
    > advance

    You don't specify anything at all about what you expect the results to be
    after sorting your 2D array. I'm not sure exactly what it means to sort a
    2D array!

    You can easily sort each row (or column, whatever), but then what? Must
    every element in the next row be greater (or less) than every element in the
    preceding row? Or is there some other criteria for what you desire? Is it
    a sparse array? Are elements allowed (or supposed) to move between columns
    as well as rows? See my problem? If you have a clear definition of the
    problem and its restrictions, the answer will likely be easy to see.

    Try working a small example on paper first, and that may help.

    By the way, this is not so much a C++ question as an algorithm question.
    Once you have a design, and implement it in C++ code, we can surely help you
    correct that code if it's giving you problems. But we can also help point
    you in the right direction initially, provided we have enough info.

    -Howard

    Howard, Apr 6, 2004

  3. Todd

    Bill Seurer Guest

    Todd wrote:

    > I'm new to c++ and was wondering how to sort a 2 dimensional array. I'm
    > using a select sort for 1 dimensional arrays but it is not working for a 2
    > dimensional array. The 2 dimensional array are float elements. Thanks in
    > advance

    Why is "it not working"? It should work the same way but you just have
    two sets of indices instead of one.

    Bill Seurer, Apr 6, 2004