Sorting a filtering a generic list bound to a paged GridView?

Harry Haller

Hello, I want to implement a generic list which will be used to
display 7 columns in a GridView. One should be able to sort, filter
and page each of the 7 columns. Ideally the filter should be
implemented simultaneously for multiple columns - but the data need
only be sorted by a single column at a time. Sorting should be both
ascending and descending.

I'm currently using a DataView but it's far too slow, because there
are a large number of rows. When full, there are about 2000 rows to
the DataView and 15 columns. None of the columns are particularly
long.

The filtering is done with 7 DropDownLists to which data is bound -
each of the dropdowns has a value and text display - for instance
ConsultantID, ConsultantName

The DataView looks like this:

TransactionID, ConsultantID, ConsultantName, ManagerID, ManagerName,
AssetClassCode, AssetClassName, ... etc.

The IDs are generally integers and the Codes - single or double
characters, only the Names are displayed in the GridView - the IDs and
Codes are there to speed up filtering.

I've seen some examples on the web.

Should I be following the methods that use delegates for the sorting?

Is FindAll() with a List<T> suitable for all the filtering?

Am I better off using a BindingList<T> rather than a List<T>

RobinS

Are you talking about GridView or DataGridView? VB or C#? WebForms or
Windows FOrms? .Net 2.0 or .Net 1.1?

Robin S.

mark4asp

Are you talking about GridView or DataGridView? VB or C#? WebForms or
Windows FOrms? .Net 2.0 or .Net 1.1?

GridView with ASP.NET 2.0

Even when I run my DataView version locally it's taking 15 seconds to
complete the page, much longer when it's run over the web.

RobinS

I don't do web stuff, I do windows forms. Brian Noyes wrote a Data Binding
book, and tells how to do sorting and filtering on a DataGridView in
WinForms on a list of business objects. If you think that would help you,
check out his book. He also has the sample code online at
http://softinsight.com/databindingbook. Check out Chapter 9, Customer
Business Objects.

He also has some info about web forms in his book, but since I don't do web
stuff, I didn't read it that closely.

Hope this helps.

Robin S.
Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.