Sorting on *stacked* data using webforms datagrid

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Jimmy, Feb 26, 2005.

  1. Jimmy

    Jimmy Guest

    I have a need to display multiple column data in a single column. I'm doing
    this by combining the output in the underlying SQL view e.g., [CompanyName] +
    '<br>' + [Address] as 'Company Name<br>Address'.
    ---------------
    Company Name
    Address
    ===========
    Acme handyworks
    123 Main Street
    --------------------
    Doodle Arts
    324 Lincolnway Dr
    --------------------

    The data comes up stacked just fine but the problem is that each header
    needs to be sorted separately. I need a way so that when someone clicks on
    the Company Name link, it sorts by Company Name and when Address is clicked,
    the list is sorted by Address.

    I can't figure out how to program the SortExpression to recognize the
    partial name on the header row.
    - I'm using custom Page Navigation using a stored procedure that takes page
    number as input and returns the approriate sub set of data.
    - I'm currently sorting by building the OrderBy clause and passing the
    string to the sp.

    JZ

    Jimmy, Feb 26, 2005