Sorting Question

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by SASRS, Jan 10, 2005.

  1. SASRS

    SASRS Guest

    Here is my code. I am trying to see if I can put a

    %@ LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" %>

    <%
    FieldA = Request.QueryString("A")
    FieldB = Request.QueryString("B")
    FieldC = Request.QueryString("C")

    response.write("<TABLE ALIGN=CENTER>")
    response.write("<TR bgcolor=#990033>")
    response.write("<TD align=center width=200><b><font color=white size=2
    face=Tahoma>")
    response.write("FieldA")
    response.write("</TD></b>")
    response.write("<TD align=center width=200><b><font color=white size=2
    face=Tahoma>")
    response.write("FieldB")
    response.write("</TD></b>")
    response.write("</TR>")
    response.write("<TR>")
    response.write("<TD align=center bgcolor=#f6f0e3 width=200><font size=2
    face=Tahoma>")
    response.write("FieldC")
    response.write("</TD>")
    response.write("</TR>")
    response.write("</TABLE>")

    Then my data is displayed from the QueryString info above.
    ------

    I would like to make the header row sortable by clicking on the field name.
    I have tried use A HREF and passing a variable called sort, but it doesn't
    seem to work. Any help is much appreciated.

    SASRS, Jan 10, 2005

  2. SASRS wrote:
    > FieldA = Request.QueryString("A")
    > FieldB = Request.QueryString("B")
    > FieldC = Request.QueryString("C")
    > I would like to make the header row sortable by clicking on
    > the field name. I have tried use A HREF and passing a variable
    > called sort, but it doesn't seem to work. Any help is much
    > appreciated.

    Are you asking how to (a) conditionally ask the DB to sort, (b) sort the
    data on the server once you get it back from the database, or (c) sort it on
    the client side? Each requires a different approach.

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Jan 10, 2005

  3. SASRS

    SASRS Guest

    Sorting it on the client side

    "Dave Anderson" <> wrote in message
    > SASRS wrote:
    > > FieldA = Request.QueryString("A")
    > > FieldB = Request.QueryString("B")
    > > FieldC = Request.QueryString("C")
    > > I would like to make the header row sortable by clicking on
    > > the field name. I have tried use A HREF and passing a variable
    > > called sort, but it doesn't seem to work. Any help is much
    > > appreciated.

    > Are you asking how to (a) conditionally ask the DB to sort, (b) sort the
    > data on the server once you get it back from the database, or (c) sort it

    on
    > the client side? Each requires a different approach.
    >

    > --
    > Dave Anderson

    Use
    > of this email address implies consent to these terms. Please do not

    contact

    SASRS, Jan 10, 2005
  4. SASRS

    ljb Guest

    "SASRS" <> wrote in message
    > Here is my code. I am trying to see if I can put a
    >
    > %@ LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" %>
    >
    > <%
    > FieldA = Request.QueryString("A")
    > FieldB = Request.QueryString("B")
    > FieldC = Request.QueryString("C")
    >
    > response.write("<TABLE ALIGN=CENTER>")
    > response.write("<TR bgcolor=#990033>")
    > response.write("<TD align=center width=200><b><font color=white size=2
    > face=Tahoma>")
    > response.write("FieldA")
    > response.write("</TD></b>")
    > response.write("<TD align=center width=200><b><font color=white size=2
    > face=Tahoma>")
    > response.write("FieldB")
    > response.write("</TD></b>")
    > response.write("</TR>")
    > response.write("<TR>")
    > response.write("<TD align=center bgcolor=#f6f0e3 width=200><font size=2
    > face=Tahoma>")
    > response.write("FieldC")
    > response.write("</TD>")
    > response.write("</TR>")
    > response.write("</TABLE>")
    >
    > Then my data is displayed from the QueryString info above.
    > ------
    >
    > I would like to make the header row sortable by clicking on the field

    name.
    > I have tried use A HREF and passing a variable called sort, but it doesn't
    > seem to work. Any help is much appreciated.

    http://www.romankoch.ch/capslock/tablesort.htm - Client side sorting of an
    HTML table.

    Sorting large tables client side may get somewhat slow but it doesn't
    require anything of the server.

    ljb, Jan 10, 2005
  5. SASRS

    SASRS Guest

    It is actually server-side, not client side, but client-side might work for
    me.

    This is what I have so far, I am trying to re-pass the values back to the
    page.

    <a
    href="http://s2.asp?sort=1?FieldA=<%=FieldA%>?FieldB=<%=FieldB%>?FieldC=<%=F
    ieldC%>">

    I see the values when I hover over the link, but when i hit the link, my
    results are blank. I believe I am overwriting the values below. How can I
    work around that.

    SASRS, Jan 10, 2005
  6. SASRS

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "SASRS" <> writing
    in news::

    > "SASRS" <> wrote in message
    >> Sorting it on the client side
    >>

    >> "Dave Anderson" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Are you asking how to (a) conditionally ask the DB to sort, (b) sort
    >> > the data on the server once you get it back from the database, or
    >> > (c) sort it on the client side? Each requires a different approach.
    >> >

    > It is actually server-side, not client side, but client-side might work
    > for me.
    >
    > This is what I have so far, I am trying to re-pass the values back to
    > the page.
    >
    ><a
    > href="http://s2.asp?sort=1?FieldA=<%=FieldA%>?FieldB=<%=FieldB%>?FieldC=
    > <%=F ieldC%>">
    >
    > I see the values when I hover over the link, but when i hit the link,
    > my results are blank. I believe I am overwriting the values below.
    > How can I work around that.
    >
    > FieldA = Request.QueryString("A")
    > FieldB = Request.QueryString("B")
    > FieldC = Request.QueryString("C")

    Here's what I do:

    dim sort
    sort = request.querystring("sort")

    select case sort
    case 1
    sort = " ORDER BY field "
    case 2
    sort = " ORDER BY anotherfield "
    case else
    sort = " ORDER by field "
    end select

    sql = "SELECT records FROM table WHERE clause " & sort

    Set rs = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    rs.Open sql, connectionstring

    if rs.EOF then
    %>
    <% else %>
    <caption>List of Records</caption>
    <thead>
    <th><a href="<%=request.servervariables("script_name")%>?sort=1">Field</a>
    </th>
    <th><a href="<%=request.servervariables("script_name")%>?sort=2">Another
    Field</a></th>
    </thead>
    <tbody>
    <%
    while not rs.EOF
    field = trim(rs("field")
    anotherfield = trim(rs("anotherfield"))
    %>
    <% rs.MoveNext
    wend
    rs.Close
    set rs = nothing
    set connectionstring = nothing
    %>
    </tbody>
    <% end if%>

    FYI, the TH element usually centers and bolds the content, so no need for
    the depreciated B element. You might want to remove your presentational
    markup and replace it with CSS, makes debugging so much easier.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne, Jan 10, 2005
  7. SASRS

    HartSA Guest

    Thank you.

    HartSA, Jan 11, 2005
  8. SASRS

    SASRS Guest

    Adrienne

    I tried your example and it clears out my values. I need to repass my
    values back to the server (I think). The value of "sort" works when the
    page loads. For example I change the "else" to "Code" and it sorts by Code,
    but the default I want is State.
    This is what I have it seems to be losing the values of "rState, insName,
    and occFilt"

    dim sort
    sort = request.QueryString("sort")

    select case sort
    case 1
    sort = " ORDER BY State "
    case 2
    sort = " ORDER BY Code "
    case 3
    sort = " ORDER BY Occupation "
    case 4
    sort = " ORDER by PolicyNumber "
    case else
    sort = " ORDER by State "
    end select

    rState = Request.QueryString("state")
    insName = Request.QueryString("ins")
    occFilt = Request.QueryString("fo")

    table border="0" align="center" bgcolor="#990033">

    Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    DSNtest="DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; "
    DSNtest=dsntest & "DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("ncci.mdb")
    Conn.Open DSNtest

    Set rs2 = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    strSQL = "SELECT * FROM NCCI2 where Insured = " & sIn(insName) & sort

    rs2.Open strSQL, conn, 3, 3

    if not rs2.eof then
    nr = rs2.recordcount

    for i = 1 to nr

    %>
    %></td>
    %></td>
    rs2("Occupation") %></td>
    rs2("PolicyNumber") %></td>
    rs2("PolicyEffective") %></td>
    rs2("PolicyExpiration") %></td>

    Please advise

    SASRS, Jan 11, 2005
  9. SASRS

> [...]

    >> %>
    >> <% rs.MoveNext
    >> wend
    >> rs.Close
    >> set rs = nothing
    >> set connectionstring = nothing %> </tbody> </table>
    >> <% end if%>
    >>
    >> FYI, the TH element usually centers and bolds the content, so no need
    >> for the depreciated B element. You might want to remove your
    >> presentational markup and replace it with CSS, makes debugging so much
    >> easier.
    >>

    > Adrienne
    >
    > I tried your example and it clears out my values. I need to repass my
    > values back to the server (I think). The value of "sort" works when
    > the page loads. For example I change the "else" to "Code" and it sorts
    > by Code, but the default I want is State.
    > This is what I have it seems to be losing the values of "rState,

    No... you're not getting it. Sort is request.querystring("sort"). If you
    need the values of rState, insName and occFilt, then you will have to pass
    those in the same querystring:

    =rstate%>&amp;insName=<%=insName%>&amp;occFilt=<%=occFilt%>"> .

    Please, for your sake and sanity, please take presenational attributes out
    of your markup. Use CSS, it's a lot faster and easier to debug:

    th {font-family: tahoma, arial, sans-serif; color:#fff; font-size:80%}

    If you use an external stylesheet, you can change ALL the td's and th's at
    the same time! So you can use a red background and white text in February,
    and green background in March, and NOT have to go into every single cell to
    change it...Wow! How fashionable!

    <snip remaining markup>

    > Please advise

    HTH