Sorting

Discussion in 'XML' started by p0wer, Sep 9, 2003.

  1. p0wer

    p0wer Guest

    Let's suppose I have this sample document:

    <root>
    <entry id="1"
    <date>2003-08-03</date>
    <param_1>5</param_1>
    <param_2>10</param_2>
    </entry>
    <entry id="2">
    </entry>
    </root>

    Given some template to apply to this data, firstly I want to sort these
    entries according to content of "date" element. Secondly, I would like to
    split the result tree into two parts - the documents which are newer than 30
    days and the rest, and following that I need to sort these groups according
    to value of param_2 and param_1 (in the given order). The code I have tried
    looks like this:

    <xsl:apply-templates select="entry[number( concat(
    substring(Date,1,4),substring(Date,6,2),substring(Date,9,2) ) ) &lt;
    ($date - $new_days)]">
    <xsl:sort select="param_2" order="descending"/>
    <xsl:sort select="param_1" order="descending"/>
    <xsl:sort select="date" order="descending"/>
    </xsl:apply-templates>

    But there's some caveat: the data gets sorted by param_2 and if there are
    two entries with equal value, they are not sorted further by param_1. The
    same applies the level below - if there are two entries with equal values of
    param_1, they don't get sorted by date. What's wrong here? How can I make
    this work the way I want it to?

    I use PHP 4.3.2 with DOM XML.

    --

    __ .: Radoslaw Loboda :. | Cool stuff !!!
    (oo) | --------------------

    p0wer, Sep 9, 2003

  2. Can you provide a complete (but the smallest possible) example --
    source.xml, your transformation, the result and how it doesn't meet
    your expectations.

    =====
    Cheers,

    Dimitre Novatchev.

    Dimitre Novatchev, Sep 10, 2003

  3. p0wer

    p0wer Guest

    Re: Sorting (long)

    > Can you provide a complete (but the smallest possible) example --
    > source.xml, your transformation, the result and how it doesn't meet
    > your expectations.

    It is a basic link list built with XML:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <LinkList>
    <Entries>
    <Entry id="1">
    <SomeTags/>
    <Date>2003-08-01</Date>
    <SomeTags/>
    <LinkData>
    <Hits count="10"/>
    <Rates>
    <rate>6</rate>
    <rate>4</rate>
    </Rates>
    <SomeTags/>
    </LinkData>
    </Entry>
    <Entry id="2">
    <SomeTags/>
    <Date>2003-09-10</Date>
    <SomeTags/>
    <LinkData>
    <Hits count="5"/>
    <Rates>
    <rate>9</rate>
    <rate>1</rate>
    </Rates>
    <SomeTags/>
    </LinkData>
    </Entry>
    </Entries>
    <SomeTags/>
    </LinkList>

    What I want is to simply generate a list, where:
    - newest entries (let's say not older than 30 days) are placed on the top of
    the list
    - newest entries and the rest are sorted separately
    - sorting order of each group is Hits-Rate (which is a simple average of all
    rates)
    - each output page displays a defined number of links (passed as param by
    PHP)

    Seems like I can't get it the recursive way because XSLT does not allow to
    reassign variable values. I have managed though to make it sort the entries
    in the top-level approach, that means I have first sorted them according to
    Hits, then Rate and Date coming last. But trying to output all the new
    entries first, and then the rest, still maintaining the order and limiting
    the number of links per page seems too hard for me.

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
    <xsl:eek:utput method="html" encoding="iso8859-1" indent="yes"
    standalone="yes"/>

    <!-- Variables used in document -->
    <xsl:param name="style_css"/>
    <xsl:param name="start_id">0</xsl:param>
    <xsl:param name="end_id">0</xsl:param>
    <xsl:param name="date"/>
    <xsl:param name="new_days">30</xsl:param>

    <xsl:template match="/">
    <head>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="{$style_css}"/>
    </head>
    cellspacing="0">
    <tbody>

    <xsl:call-template name="date_check"/>

    </tbody>
    </xsl:template>

    <xsl:template name="date_check">
    <xsl:param name="new">0</xsl:param>
    <xsl:for-each select="/LinkList/Entries/Entry">
    <xsl:sort select="LinkData/Hits/@count" order="descending"/>
    <xsl:sort select="sum(LinkData/Rates/rate) div count(LinkData/Rates/rate)"
    order="descending"/>
    <xsl:sort select="Date" order="descending"/>
    <xsl:value-of select="position()"/>
    <xsl:if test="$end_id = 0 or (position() &gt;= $start_id and position()
    &lt;= $end_id)">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="current()[number( concat(
    substring(Date,1,4),substring(Date,6,2),substring(Date,9,2) ) ) &gt;=
    ($date - $new_days)]"/>
    <xsl:apply-templates select="current()[number( concat(
    substring(Date,1,4),substring(Date,6,2),substring(Date,9,2) ) ) &lt;
    ($date - $new_days)]"/>
    </xsl:if>
    </xsl:for-each>
    </xsl:template>

    <xsl:template match="Entry">
    <xsl:variable name="entry_date">
    <xsl:value-of select="number( concat(
    substring(Date,1,4),substring(Date,6,2),substring(Date,9,2) ) )"/>
    </xsl:variable>

    <!-- This is just simple display - trimmed down -->
    style="border:none">
    <tbody>
    <a>
    <xsl:attribute name="href">
    <xsl:text>?action=view&amp;id=</xsl:text>
    <xsl:value-of select="@id"/>
    </xsl:attribute>
    <xsl:value-of select="Title"/>
    </a>
    <xsl:if test="$entry_date &gt;= ($date - 30)">
    </xsl:if>
    <xsl:value-of select="LinkData/Hits/@count"/>

    <xsl:value-of select="format-number( ( sum(LinkData/Rates/rate) ) div
    ( count(LinkData/Rates/rate) ),'0.0')"/>

    </tbody>
    </xsl:template>

    Let's say we have this data:
    - id=1 & id=2 are old entries
    - id=3 & id=4 are new entries
    - id=2 has hits=2
    - id=3 has rate=2
    - 2 links per page
    After sorting the order is 2-3-4-1, which is correct. But right now I get it
    only this way. What I need is 3-4-2-1... The two entries for apply-templates
    were used for some conditional choices, but it didn't work out exactly what
    was expected. The selects are working, but now I need to put them somewhere
    else to group the nodes.

    --

    __ .: Radoslaw Loboda :. | Cool stuff !!!
    (oo) | --------------------

    p0wer, Sep 10, 2003
  4. Re: Sorting (long)

    Your problem is that you are combining several problems in one and are
    trying to solve them at once.

    This can be solved by addressing each problem individually and then
    combining the solutions. Probably a multi-pass solution will be one of the
    easiest possible.

    However, the problem in your code is not at all the sorting.

    It seems to me that your date arithmetic is not OK.

    In particular:

    > <xsl:apply-templates select="current()[number( concat(
    > substring(Date,1,4),substring(Date,6,2),substring(Date,9,2) ) ) &gt;=
    > ($date - $new_days)]"/>
    > <xsl:apply-templates select="current()[number( concat(
    > substring(Date,1,4),substring(Date,6,2),substring(Date,9,2) ) ) &lt;
    > ($date - $new_days)]"/>

    the above calculation of "new" and "old" links will not work correctly in
    most of the cases.

    So, I would recommend that you try to split the task into sub-problems,
    which are more realistic and manageable and then you have greater chances to
    succeed.

    You may find a dates/time library of templates useful. One such library is
    the datetime_lib.xsl library, which comes with the XSelerator and can be
    downloaded with the trial version of the product.

    =====

    Dimitre Novatchev, Sep 10, 2003
  5. p0wer

    p0wer Guest

    Re: Sorting (long)

    U¿ytkownik "Dimitre Novatchev" <> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
    > Your problem is that you are combining several problems in one and are
    > trying to solve them at once.
    >
    > This can be solved by addressing each problem individually and then
    > combining the solutions. Probably a multi-pass solution will be one of the
    > easiest possible.

    And trying to do multi-pass in one XSLT document? Interesting, have some
    good/advanced examples?

    > However, the problem in your code is not at all the sorting.
    >
    > It seems to me that your date arithmetic is not OK.
    >
    > In particular:
    >
    > > <xsl:apply-templates select="current()[number( concat(
    > > substring(Date,1,4),substring(Date,6,2),substring(Date,9,2) ) ) &gt;=
    > > ($date - $new_days)]"/>
    > > <xsl:apply-templates select="current()[number( concat(
    > > substring(Date,1,4),substring(Date,6,2),substring(Date,9,2) ) ) &lt;
    > > ($date - $new_days)]"/>

    > the above calculation of "new" and "old" links will not work correctly in
    > most of the cases.

    I said it works OK. I know that when I want one month back I have to pass
    100 as new_days. I suppose you thought that a bit better would be supplying
    a timestamp and playing with it. Anyway, the select staatements could be
    used in some other place, but still trying to make up where will they fit...

    > So, I would recommend that you try to split the task into sub-problems,
    > which are more realistic and manageable and then you have greater chances

    > succeed.

    The version which I have supplied is indeed a mix of all the separate stuff.

    > You may find a dates/time library of templates useful. One such library is
    > the datetime_lib.xsl library, which comes with the XSelerator and can be
    > downloaded with the trial version of the product.

    I might try installing some extensions, but what if I move it to the server
    which does not support them? Admins are unlikely to do it for one user and
    this site is made for other person. Instead, I am trying to get it work
    without any extensions...

    --

    __ .: Radoslaw Loboda :. | Cool stuff !!!
    (oo) | --------------------

    p0wer, Sep 10, 2003
  6. Re: Sorting (long)

    > > It seems to me that your date arithmetic is not OK.
    > >
    > > In particular:
    > >
    > > > <xsl:apply-templates select="current()[number( concat(
    > > > substring(Date,1,4),substring(Date,6,2),substring(Date,9,2) ) ) &gt;=
    > > > ($date - $new_days)]"/>
    > > > <xsl:apply-templates select="current()[number( concat(
    > > > substring(Date,1,4),substring(Date,6,2),substring(Date,9,2) ) ) &lt;
    > > > ($date - $new_days)]"/>

    > > the above calculation of "new" and "old" links will not work correctly

    in
    > > most of the cases.

    > I said it works OK. I know that when I want one month back I have to pass
    > 100 as new_days. I suppose you thought that a bit better would be

    supplying
    > a timestamp and playing with it. Anyway, the select staatements could be
    > used in some other place, but still trying to make up where will they

    fit...

    But one month can be 28, 29, 30 or 31 days...

    What about going from December to January?

    > > You may find a dates/time library of templates useful. One such library

    is
    > > the datetime_lib.xsl library, which comes with the XSelerator and can be
    > > downloaded with the trial version of the product.

    > I might try installing some extensions, but what if I move it to the

    server
    > which does not support them? Admins are unlikely to do it for one user and
    > this site is made for other person. Instead, I am trying to get it work
    > without any extensions...

    What I recommended is not extensions -- it is pure XSLT 1.0 and you don't
    have to install anything -- just copy this .xsl file in your folder.

    =====
    Cheers,

    Dimitre Novatchev.

    Dimitre Novatchev, Sep 10, 2003
  7. p0wer

    > But one month can be 28, 29, 30 or 31 days...
    >
    > What about going from December to January?

    The year also changes :) Didn't notice? Stripping slashes gives a number
    like 20030911.

    > What I recommended is not extensions -- it is pure XSLT 1.0 and you don't
    > have to install anything -- just copy this .xsl file in your folder.

    I will give it a try tommorow, although current version of PHP DOMXML
    (4.3.2rc3) is said to be having problems with including XSLT's inside other
    XSLT's ("The method can not perform an XSLT transformation, where an XSL
    uses imported XSL")

    --

    __ .: Radoslaw Loboda :. | Cool stuff !!!
    (oo) | --------------------

    p0wer, Sep 10, 2003
  8. Re: Sorting (long)

    > U¿ytkownik "Dimitre Novatchev" <> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
    > > But one month can be 28, 29, 30 or 31 days...
    > >
    > > What about going from December to January?

    > The year also changes :) Didn't notice? Stripping slashes gives a number
    > like 20030911.

    Yes, I know this. But how do you add 15 days to 20021217 ?

    =====
    Cheers,

    Dimitre Novatchev.

    Dimitre Novatchev, Sep 11, 2003
  9. p0wer

    > "p0wer" <p0wer@bojko_krakow_pl> wrote in message
    > > The year also changes :) Didn't notice? Stripping slashes gives a number
    > > like 20030911.

    > Yes, I know this. But how do you add 15 days to 20021217 ?

    The functions you are talking about are quite nice. In fact I was thinking
    exactly the same - julian date can be also calculated as integer part of
    (timestamp/86400) (I think so...). I wonder how could I use these functions
    for every date in each entry... Define a variable inside foreach? Please
    help me with this algorithm...

    --

    __ .: Radoslaw Loboda :. | Cool stuff !!!
    (oo) | --------------------

    p0wer, Sep 14, 2003
  10. Re: Sorting (long)

    > U¿ytkownik "Dimitre Novatchev" <> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
    > > "p0wer" <p0wer@bojko_krakow_pl> wrote in message
    > > > The year also changes :) Didn't notice? Stripping slashes gives a

    number
    > > > like 20030911.

    > > Yes, I know this. But how do you add 15 days to 20021217 ?

    > The functions you are talking about are quite nice. In fact I was thinking
    > exactly the same - julian date can be also calculated as integer part of
    > (timestamp/86400) (I think so...). I wonder how could I use these

    functions
    > for every date in each entry... Define a variable inside foreach? Please
    > help me with this algorithm...

    See the code of my Calendar Application, available at:

    http://www.topxml.com/code/default.asp?p=3&id=v20020711152545

    This XSLT app displays the quarters, months, weeks, calendar and weekdays of
    the current year. Today's date and any date from the Holidays.xml file are
    highlighted. Placing the cursor over a specific holiday produces a tip,
    describing this event. You can customize it by editing the Holidays.xml file
    and specifying your own holidays/events data there.

    =====
    Cheers,

    Dimitre Novatchev.

    Dimitre Novatchev, Sep 14, 2003