SOT: Turbo C 2 Question

Just Another Joe

Having failed to find an appropriate group for this question,
pointers to such would be welcome :).

Question: is there _any_ way at all to enable Turbo C 2.01 to
create/delete/open/close/read/write files/directories with long
filenames when running in a DOS window? Or Turbo C++ 1.0? I
own both these products.

If not, is there a Borland DOS C compiler that will? One that
can be downloaded from their site? (Where?)

Finally, I have Borland C++ Builder 1.0 with manuals, brand new,
still in box with original shrink-wrap, never been opened. Can
this compiler produce DOS stand alone executables that understand
long filenames when run in a DOS window? If not, is this box
worth anything as a collectors item? :)) ADVthanksANCE.

Les Cargill

Just said:
Having failed to find an appropriate group for this question,
pointers to such would be welcome :).

Question: is there _any_ way at all to enable Turbo C 2.01 to
create/delete/open/close/read/write files/directories with long
filenames when running in a DOS window? Or Turbo C++ 1.0? I
own both these products.

If not, is there a Borland DOS C compiler that will? One that
can be downloaded from their site? (Where?)

Google up DJGPP. I's a GNU type compiler, but it's pretty good.

Mark A. Odell

Having failed to find an appropriate group for this question,
pointers to such would be welcome :).

What's wrong with the Borland newsgroups? borland.public.*

Robert Bachmann

Just said:
Having failed to find an appropriate group for this question,
pointers to such would be welcome :).

See the borland newsgroup family. (served on nntp://newsgroups.borland.com)

Regards,
Robert

Just Another Joe

Thanks for the replies, guys :).

The borland.* groups were the first place I tried... over the last
couple days the number of real posts in the C(++) groups could be
counted on a hand, while the spams were at least an order of
magnitude greater.

I would prefer to stick with a Borland compiler. I have downloaded
the free Borland C++ 5.5 command-line tools compiler, which doesn't
do 16-bit, only 32-bit. But that will be okay for my application.
Now, I need to familiarize myself with using it--there is, of course
no IDE.

Any opinions on this Borland C++ Builder 1.0 package? Is it worth-
while installing? Or should I plunk down the $100 for version 6.0?

Mark A. Odell

The borland.* groups were the first place I tried... over the last
couple days the number of real posts in the C(++) groups could be
counted on a hand, while the spams were at least an order of
magnitude greater.

And that's our fault?

[snip]
Any opinions on this Borland C++ Builder 1.0 package? Is it worth-
while installing? Or should I plunk down the $100 for version 6.0?

What's your question about the C language?