Source Code (C++) Comprehension Tools

Discussion in 'C++' started by kewlemer, Oct 7, 2005.

  1. kewlemer

    kewlemer Guest

    Folks,

    I am looking for open source Source Code Comprehension Tools (tools
    that can be used to browse source code, class diagrams etc).

    I am basically a VIM user, but the large number of classes in the
    project I am currently dealing with necessiates me to use such a tool
    to better understand the class relationships.

    The only good link Googling gave was:-
    http://grok2.tripod.com/code_comprehension.html

    However none of the free code browsers here handled C++ (the demo
    versions are no use since they expire).

    The only open source tool I found was Red Hat's Source Navigator - but
    this was buggy when I tried and is not updated since 2001.

    I am hoping you folks can shed some light on such available tools.

    Thanks,

    PS :- Does Eclipse give class diagrams ?

    kewlemer, Oct 7, 2005

  2. kewlemer

    Imre Palik\ Guest

    "kewlemer" <> writes:

    > I am basically a VIM user, but the large number of classes in the
    > project I am currently dealing with necessiates me to use such a tool
    > to better understand the class relationships.

    According to ctags --help ctags can also tag C++ files. You should be able
    to use that with VIM (I am using etags with emacs).

    Doxygen can generate quite nice diagramms showing certain dependency
    structures in the source code, if you have graphwiz installed.

    New Emacsen are shipped with some sort of class browser, but it was too
    slow for my needs when I last checked.

    I.

    Imre Palik\, Oct 7, 2005

  3. kewlemer

    PravinT Guest

    Try Source-Navigator
    http://sourcenav.sourceforge.net/
    it is an GNU project.

    Source-Navigator scans your source code and loads the extracted
    information into a project database. This database stores all
    information about file names, symbol elements, and symbol relationships
    (functions and global variables are examples of symbols).
    Source-Navigator provides you with different browsers (graphical views)
    into the project database.

    I am using it as an IDE. And it is very good and cogent.

    Pravin.

    PravinT, Oct 7, 2005