Source Code Mangament in a Team Environment

Matt C

We are in the design phase of a web-based Java/Struts project. The
actual coding will be divided between 4 programmers and we're using
SourceSafe for source code control.

My question is what is the best way to handle the shared repository of
code? Should we leave the code in exploded form as we go through the
coding process and then put it in a war file just before going to QA
testing? Is there a better way to approach this?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Bryce

We are in the design phase of a web-based Java/Struts project. The
actual coding will be divided between 4 programmers and we're using
SourceSafe for source code control.

My question is what is the best way to handle the shared repository of
code? Should we leave the code in exploded form as we go through the
coding process and then put it in a war file just before going to QA
testing? Is there a better way to approach this?

Generally, in our environment, each developer checks out the code
he/she needs from CVS (another source code control) to their machine.
Checked in when done.

Generally, a particular project is partitioned so:
project
-- src
-- test
-- build
-- webroot
--WEB-INF
web.xml
etc...

Each developer can test on their own machine. Only source files are
checked into CVS. Using Ant, projects can be deployed for unit testing
automatically (and using JUnit). Each developer is responsible for
their own unit test, and ensuring changes don't break the build. We
have an daily build test that's executed automatically using
CruiseControl. Its executed at night, and runs existing JUnit tests.

Someone is responsible for getting a build to QA. For a Java/Struts
project, we distribute a war file, with just the .class files (and any
other files needed, such as descriptors, .properties, resource
bundles, etc). This build is managed using Ant.

Scott Ellsworth

My question is what is the best way to handle the shared repository of
code? Should we leave the code in exploded form as we go through the
coding process and then put it in a war file just before going to QA
testing? Is there a better way to approach this?

I would strongly consider a move from SourceSafe, but that may just be
because SS has bitten me more than once.

As far as your _real_ question, we usually have each developer check out
the code to their own machine, build in situ, and then check changes
back in. Each night, we have a seperate machine with a known
configuration check out the code from scratch, build from scratch, and
deploy the resulting jar/war to a known spot. For some webapps, it has
also deployed the resulting app to the running server. We use ANT for
this, and it works great. (NB - it also means that bringing someone new
into the project requires only installing Java and ant, and possibly
Tomcat. Edit a couple of properties in a local.properties file, and off
they go.)

I would make sure that each developer's build process produces the build
artifact you wish to have qa test - so if you are going to build a war
that deploys to tomcat, then make sure that their standard build creates
the war and deploys it, as then their testing is against what you want,
not what they hand assembled..

Scott