Source control and deployment

Guest

Hi,
I need to deploy my web app (using XCOPY), but first need to put all of the
source under source control (not vss).

I guess the question is, "Q1) what files need to go under source control?"
Should it be the all of the files under inetpub\wwwrot\myapp? or a sub set?

following this, "what files should be deployed?"
Do the .VB files need to be deployed?

Most of the MS documentation I have come accross seems to assume you deveop
and deploy, without putting stuff under source control (for testing etc)
which i find mildly alarming, or use the copy project option. We develop on a
development network, and live is altogether seperate, so this isn't an option.

Any ideas most appreciated. I know I can't be the only one to be in this
possition.
:)

Curt_C [MVP]

Andy said:
Hi,
I need to deploy my web app (using XCOPY), but first need to put all of the
source under source control (not vss).

I guess the question is, "Q1) what files need to go under source control?"
Should it be the all of the files under inetpub\wwwrot\myapp? or a sub set?

following this, "what files should be deployed?"
Do the .VB files need to be deployed?

Most of the MS documentation I have come accross seems to assume you deveop
and deploy, without putting stuff under source control (for testing etc)
which i find mildly alarming, or use the copy project option. We develop on a
development network, and live is altogether seperate, so this isn't an option.

Any ideas most appreciated. I know I can't be the only one to be in this
possition.
:)

look up UnLeashIT
Takes the worries out
http://www.eworldui.net/UnleashIt/

Guest

Andy,

I would put any files that are associated with your application under source
control (aspx, ascx, htm, asax, vb, css, etc). I store just about everything
in there because what's the harm?

When deploying you will not need the .vb files since those are what make up
your .dll(s). These are the main asp.net files you would need:

..dll
..aspx
..ascx
..asax
..asmx
..config
..css
..html
..htm

Actually I think the documentation assumes you are running under source
control since it is free with Visual Studio but that is besides the point.
Source control has little to do with deployment typically.

XCOPY is what I use to go from Development to Test and then from Test to
Production. This gives me control over what files get copied.

Hope this helps.