  1. how can we use Sourcesafe in any dotnet project

    thnx & rgds
    Raghvendra Shukla
    Raghvendra Shukla, Jun 2, 2004

  2. Raghvendra Shukla

    Steven H Guest

    On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 12:13:43 +0530, Raghvendra Shukla wrote:

    > how can we use Sourcesafe in any dotnet project

    If you want something that wont destroy years worth of your data i would
    choose something else.

    what is that something else? i am glad you asked ;P

    Windows Shell Extension for Subversion - http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/
    VS.NET Addin for Subversion - http://ankhsvn.tigris.org/

    there all open source projects which have a lot of active development done
    on them. if something doesnt work the people on the user & dev lists will
    do their best to guide you in getting it working.

    what i am trying to say is please use something other than that pile of
    rotting binary called "SourceSafe".

    if you need any more reasoning for you to use something (anything - even
    cvs) then check out - http://www.wadhome.org/svn_vs_vss.txt

    Steven H, 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic

    ..net Geek
    Steven H, Jun 3, 2004

  3. the best tool for securing your source code is using Sourcesafe tool from
    microsoft.
    when you create any project in VS .Net, just right click on the project or
    goto file menu and select the source control.
    there you select the add to source control. with this, your project files,
    solutions and any references to your project will be under the source
    control.

    Regards,
    Samudrala

    Sreenivasulu Samudrala, Jun 5, 2004
  4. > the best tool for securing your source code is using Sourcesafe tool from

    Is it any wonder that outsourcing projects to India fails?

    DM McGowan II, Jun 6, 2004
  5. Raghvendra Shukla

    Sahil Malik Guest

    Raghvendra Shukla,

    Cutting clear of the bullshit replies before me, here's a real answer.

    In Visual Studio.NET you can bind or unbind your projects to VSS using a
    menu item under VSS. To initially configure them to use with VSS, just drag
    drop them into VSS while checking the "recursive" option.

    Now for the practicality part of it all. Sourcesafe uses as it's DB access
    technology a much loved/hated Microsoft technology called "jet". Jet while
    is perfect for 5ish user scenarios, is not ideal for large scale projects.
    It does have it's advantages though, but that is another discussion. If you
    want something for free (included in your MSDN universal .... otherwise
    around $499), Visual Sourcesafe is a good choice. But if you are running an
    Enterprise level project, with 20-200 developers, you might want to look
    elsewhere. My personal favorites are Rational, PVCS, and what I like the
    best Borland Starteam.

    Might I add, Microsoft doesn't use VSS for it's own largescale projects
    because S.Safe is just not the right tool for that. But MS isn't ignoring
    S.Safe anymore, with Vstudio 2005, you are gonna have a fairly reworked
    s.safe with web access etc. but it's target market is still small projects
    (as far as I know).

    S.safe isn't necessarily a bad tool, it's simple and ideal for a small
    project. All other alternatives I mentioned above are ridiculously expensive
    in comparison.

    - Sahil Malik
    Independent Consultant
    You can reach me thru my blog at -
    http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/weblog/sahilmalik/

    Sahil Malik, Jun 21, 2004
  6. Raghvendra Shukla

    Sahil Malik Guest

    S.Safe was made and developed by an American company.

    Sahil Malik, Jun 21, 2004
  7. Raghvendra Shukla

    Sahil Malik Guest

    Raghvendra Shukla,

    The newsgroups ate my real reply .. so here it is again.

    You can simply drag drop stuff into VSS from your windows explorer to make
    Vstudio work with VSS. Then under File menu there is an option to
    bind/unbind/work in disconnected mode etc.

    Then there is a question of practicality. S.safe is based on a much
    loved/hated technolgy called "Jet". Jet is not the ideal tool for heavy
    loads, but for under 5 users it beats the options. (in my opinion even
    msde). S.safe's database engine is based around Jet, which makes it
    unsuitable for heavy duty 200 developer projects. Might I mention that
    Microsoft itself doesn't use S.safe for it's final check-in's. Though S.Safe
    is about the best and cheapest option you will find to get it running out of
    the box.

    Other options I personally like are Borland StarTeam (favorite), Rational,
    PVCS.

    Also. S.safe is being overhauled in vstudio 2005, finally there will be a
    web based support (so I hear, haven't seen it yet).

    Sahil Malik, Jun 21, 2004
  8. Raghvendra Shukla

    lotusflower

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Can you please let me know how to unbind a project from Source Safe as our team has moved away from using VSS to another version control tool? I looked for the option in change source control and even after unchecking the Bind checkbox, the project does not get loaded correctly.

    Thanks in advance
    lotusflower, Apr 21, 2008
  9. Raghvendra Shukla

    catherine sea

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Messages:
    4
    Please try these steps: click the Unbind button in Change Source Control dialog, click OK and then close VS. Then open VS, select the new source control plugin at Tools -> Options -> Source Control and add the solution to source control.

    If it does not work, please let me know more info about your problem.

    You may also visit kevingao.net. There is an article explaining how to switch projects from SourceSafe to other SCC tools in details.

    Thanks.
    catherine sea, Nov 12, 2009
  10. Raghvendra Shukla

    catherine sea

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Messages:
    4
    You can also try Dynamsoft SourceAnywhere, which is a SQL-based source control solution designed as a replacement of SourceSafe.

    Regards.
    catherine sea, Jun 9, 2010