SourceForge blocking access to users from "unwanted countries"

Lars Uffmann

This just came to my attention and I think as many open-source
developers and users as possible should know about it:

SourceForge apparently has started blocking project sites to users from
countries that are on an exclusion list of the US-administration. You
might want to read the following articles & statements by sourceforge.

http://arabcrunch.com/2010/01/follo...ea-cuba-is-open-source-still-really-open.html
http://sourceforge.net/blog/clarify...or-certain-persons-in-accordance-with-us-law/
http://sourceforge.net/blog/some-good-news-sourceforge-removes-blanket-blocking/

I fully support a boycott of sourceforge and migrating all open source
projects to non-censoring sites.

Best Regards,

Lars

Alf P. Steinbach

* Lars Uffmann, on 15.06.2010 11:20:
This just came to my attention and I think as many open-source
developers and users as possible should know about it:

SourceForge apparently has started blocking project sites to users from
countries that are on an exclusion list of the US-administration. You
might want to read the following articles & statements by sourceforge.

http://arabcrunch.com/2010/01/follo...ea-cuba-is-open-source-still-really-open.html

http://sourceforge.net/blog/clarify...or-certain-persons-in-accordance-with-us-law/

http://sourceforge.net/blog/some-good-news-sourceforge-removes-blanket-blocking/

I fully support a boycott of sourceforge and migrating all open source
projects to non-censoring sites.

Uh, bad, but also off-topic!

But out of curiosity, given that SourceForge has gone political, which may make
this question moot since idiots can do anything without any good reason, why are
they doing such a counter-productive thing as blocking the countries that really
could benefit from an infusion of world culture?

It sort of reminds of the "Cocom" blacklist in the old days, where you could not
export polysterene printer covers to Russia because it was allegedly high
technology -- presumably Russia's war capability would be at least somewhat
degraded by the Russians having to listen to all that printer noise, 'cause it
was unthinkable that they could manufacture covers themselves, the primitives.

Cheers,

- Alf

Lars Uffmann

Alf said:
Uh, bad, but also off-topic!

Yes, in a way. But then only partly :) I think I do reach a whole lot of
open-source programmers right here in this newsgroup, just think about
the amount of open source software being written in C++.

But I do not want to stir up a discussion obfuscating the actual
important message. So I'll gladly admit it is off-topic, and I posted it
here to reach a wide proper audience.

Best Regards,

Lars

Keith H Duggar

Uh, bad, but also off-topic!

But out of curiosity, given that SourceForge has gone political, which may make

They didn't "go political". It was a legal issue ie they were
making sure they complied with the law of their host country
so that we don't all lose access from them being shutdown for
violating it.
this question moot since idiots can do anything without any good reason, why are

Exactly, like posting idiotic non-sense without bothering to
understand the issues you are commenting on.
they doing such a counter-productive thing as blocking the countries that really
could benefit from an infusion of world culture?

Did you even bother to read their statements?
It sort of reminds of the "Cocom" blacklist in the old days, where you could not
export polysterene printer covers to Russia because it was allegedly high
technology  --  presumably Russia's war capability would be at least somewhat
degraded by the Russians having to listen to all that printer noise, 'cause it
was unthinkable that they could manufacture covers themselves, the primitives.

Given your above misunderstand of SourceForge actions, it's hard
to believe you actually understand the Cocom issues either.

Can you please try understanding and at the very least READING
material before responding to it?

KHD

Alf P. Steinbach

* Keith H Duggar, on 15.06.2010 17:17:
They didn't "go political". It was a legal issue ie they were
making sure they complied with the law of their host country
so that we don't all lose access from them being shutdown for
violating it.

Exactly, like posting idiotic non-sense without bothering to
understand the issues you are commenting on.

Hm, I'm considering plonking you.

You do have some good insights sometimes, and when you're posting about
technical stuff you generally know what you're talking about.

But then so was the case with Usenet provocateur extraordinaire Erik Naggum
(RIP), except that he was more often correct wrt. to the technical than you, and
except that AFAIK you have yet to ask the perceived weakest you encounter to
suicide to improve the world -- but it's the same kind of effluence.

Did you even bother to read their statements?

Yes, you're definitely on the edge.

Given your above misunderstand of SourceForge actions, it's hard
to believe you actually understand the Cocom issues either.

Can you please try understanding and at the very least READING
material before responding to it?

Look in a mirror, Keith.

Cheers & hth.

- Alf

Öö Tiib

They didn't "go political". It was a legal issue ie they were
making sure they complied with the law of their host country
so that we don't all lose access from them being shutdown for
violating it.

They now are sort of less free than Chinese and will be shut down for
hosting open source projects in internet?

ROFL. I remember when i first got access to internet and some USA
student told me in some chat that they are most free people in the
world. I asked how the heck they are free? Answer was that they may
carry a firearm. That sounded like terrible medieval nonsense. Some
Finnish guy joined discussion and explained to him that for them
carrying a gun is symbol of their freedom while for us it is
troublesome everyday necessity. Damn polar bears will just eat us
otherwise. :D
Exactly, like posting idiotic non-sense without bothering to
understand the issues you are commenting on.

OP made quite good suggestion to remove the open source projects from
servers that are either run by idiots or are located in countries
ruled by idiots. There are idiots involved on both cases look how you
look. Alf's remark did hit the bulls eye AFAICS. Why you are
responding so angrily?

There still remains porn, software patents, youtube and spam ...
actual everyday internet culture does not get damaged that much. May
they still carry firearms?

Keith H Duggar

* Keith H Duggar, on 15.06.2010 17:17:

Yes, you're definitely on the edge.

It is a simple, honest, and legitimate question. Did you read

http://sourceforge.net/blog/clarify...or-certain-persons-in-accordance-with-us-law/
http://sourceforge.net/blog/some-good-news-sourceforge-removes-blanket-blocking/

before you wrote
But out of curiosity, given that SourceForge has gone political, which may make
this question moot since idiots can do anything without any good reason, why are
they doing such a counter-productive thing as blocking the countries that really
could benefit from an infusion of world culture?

? I think the answer is no as that would explain a lot.

Also, I suppose I should ask for another clarification. Who does
the "they" in the following phrase refer to

"why are they doing such a counter-productive thing ..."

? Given the context the obvious interpretation to me was SourceForge,
but perhaps you meant the Obama administration? Who exactly are the
"idiots" you referred to?

KHD

Bo Persson

Keith said:
It is a simple, honest, and legitimate question. Did you read

http://sourceforge.net/blog/clarify...or-certain-persons-in-accordance-with-us-law/
http://sourceforge.net/blog/some-good-news-sourceforge-removes-blanket-blocking/

before you wrote

? I think the answer is no as that would explain a lot.

Also, I suppose I should ask for another clarification. Who does
the "they" in the following phrase refer to

"why are they doing such a counter-productive thing ..."

? Given the context the obvious interpretation to me was
SourceForge,
but perhaps you meant the Obama administration? Who exactly are the
"idiots" you referred to?

All of them, I guess. Who, in their right mind, believe that blocking
access to SourceForge will stop the Cuban government from getting the
code? What is the general idea?

Bo Persson

Öö Tiib

? I think the answer is no as that would explain a lot.

Also, I suppose I should ask for another clarification. Who does
the "they" in the following phrase refer to

   "why are they doing such a counter-productive thing ..."

? Given the context the obvious interpretation to me was SourceForge,
but perhaps you meant the Obama administration? Who exactly are the
"idiots" you referred to?

Think. Lets say there was someone smart involved. Someone who did
achieve "doing such counter-productive thing" to discredit that
country, its laws, its authorities, public services in internet
provided from there and/or particularly SourceForge. Discredit as both
evil and idiotic. Other scenarios involve "idiots can do anything
without any good reason" making the question moot. Information
provided in links posted does not answer who exactly is an idiot there
or only is enforced to look like an idiot. Being far and not involved
the people may think that "all of them". Such a good public image
among intelligent people all over the world. People who can both write
software and have spare time to do it for free.

Victor Bazarov

Think. Lets say there was someone smart involved. Someone who did
achieve "doing such counter-productive thing" to discredit that
country, its laws, its authorities, public services in internet
provided from there and/or particularly SourceForge. Discredit as both
evil and idiotic. Other scenarios involve "idiots can do anything
without any good reason" making the question moot. Information
provided in links posted does not answer who exactly is an idiot there
or only is enforced to look like an idiot. Being far and not involved
the people may think that "all of them". Such a good public image
among intelligent people all over the world. People who can both write
software and have spare time to do it for free.

I'm reading your discussion and can't help but wonder, how long
conspiracy theories are going to be the first resort to which people go
for when talking about things on which they lack information. Think.
What is the simplest explanation? Could it be an overzealous lawyer who
decided to go "by the book" and make sure all laws are obeyed? Export
regulations concerning high tech in the US are in place since the Cold
War, probably. Quite possible some of them even run against more modern
ideas of globalization, etc. Changing those laws takes LOTS of effort,
which Congress probably just doesn't have at this point.

Put it to rest or move it to a political discussion forum, please.
Enough of this in the mass media; I want to come here and talk *shop*
not what current US administration is incapable of doing or who are all
those hell-bent on making them look bad.

And, yes, I am killfiling this thread, thank you.

Krice

and make sure all laws are obeyed?

Some laws can suck and US has a bad reputation of creating
stupid laws that are insulting mankind. SourceForge is not
to blame here. Some countries try to limit the freedom of
internet and freedom of speech. When did US became one of
those countries?

Bo Persson

Paavo said:
Well, I did read those links and I have to say this is most
unconvincing crap. They do not mention what exact law points they
think they have broken and with which code, they do not mention any
threats from authorities, in short, they don't mention any problem
which they are supposedly trying to solve. I also think any code
typed in in Europe for example should not be blocked by any US
laws. The second link is even more crap - they try to shift the
responsibility to project owners. If they are thinking they can
shift away responsibility just like that, why they are bothering to
take it in the first place?

This is a bit sensitive issue for me as as I live in a country to
where amazon.uk refused to deliver even board games, just few years
ago.

Paavo

Yes, when I did my military service (in the 1900s :) you guys were
the enemy! Now we are both EU citizens.

Perhaps it is time for the US to recognize that the world has changed?

After 50 years of blockading the Castro regime in Cuba, it might be
time to evaluate the effectiveness?

Bo Persson

Puppet_Sock

Yes, in a way. But then only partly :) I think I do reach a whole lot of
open-source programmers right here in this newsgroup, just think about
the amount of open source software being written in C++.

You are a Trip to Holland with an Indigo Child.
Socks

   http://sourceforge.net/blog/clarifying-sourceforgenets-denial-of-site...
   http://sourceforge.net/blog/some-good-news-sourceforge-removes-blanke...

before you wrote

? I think the answer is no as that would explain a lot.

Also, I suppose I should ask for another clarification. Who does
the "they" in the following phrase refer to

   "why are they doing such a counter-productive thing ..."

? Given the context the obvious interpretation to me was SourceForge,
but perhaps you meant the Obama administration? Who exactly are the
"idiots" you referred to?

Yeah, that's what I thought. Busted in plain sight responding
without first bothering to read yet again just as you did here

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c++/msg/3983a28ee6794f18

At least that time you had the guts to come forward and admit
that you only "skimmed" the material. At least you provided a
rather clear example of an Artful Dodger

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/artfuldodger.htm

KHD