South eastern tech cities

AaronLS

I'm researching what southeastern cities have a high demand for java/
C# programmers. I've looked at Atlanta, DC, Houston and several
others in Texas, Mobile AL, Huntsville AL.

If anyone has any ideas of other cities I should check out.

So far Huntsville looks appealing because the cost of housing is low,
very low crime rates, but average salaries/job demand is so-so.

Houston looks great, with great salaries, lower cost of housing(some
big cheap houses), but somewhat worse crime rates. It's kind strange,
I would think that a place paying higher salaries would have more
expensive housing. Is there something about Houston that people don't
wanna live there, such that the houses are worth less and jobs pay
more?

RedGrittyBrick

AaronLS said:
I'm researching what southeastern cities have a high demand for java/
C# programmers. I've looked at Atlanta, DC, Houston and several
others in Texas, Mobile AL, Huntsville AL.

If anyone has any ideas of other cities I should check out.

London and Chennai are South-Eastern cities with high demand for Java
programmers.

Arne Vajhøj

RedGrittyBrick said:
London and Chennai are South-Eastern cities with high demand for Java
programmers.

But London does not have cheap houses !

:)

Arne

AaronLS

But London does not have cheap houses !

:)

Arne

Are we talking London England, and Chennai in Africa?

I have a feeling I should have specified southeastern United States :)

Hal Rosser

If anyone has any ideas of other cities I should check out.

So far Huntsville looks appealing because the cost of housing is low,
very low crime rates, but average salaries/job demand is so-so.

Houston looks great, with great salaries, lower cost of housing(some
big cheap houses), but somewhat worse crime rates. It's kind strange,
I would think that a place paying higher salaries would have more
expensive housing. Is there something about Houston that people don't
wanna live there, such that the houses are worth less and jobs pay
more?

Look also at Columbus, Ga (Insurance companies) and the I-85 corridor
(Greenvile, Spartanburg, Charlotte.)

Lew

Arne said:
But London does not have cheap houses !

:)

I'm having a hard time with the characterization of Houston as a
"southeastern" city. It's about fifty miles closer to San Diego than to New
York City.

Lew

Are we talking London England, and Chennai in Africa?

Chennai is NOT in Africa. Unless you are talking about a much, much less
well-known "Chennai".

There are many places called "London". London, Ontario, is more or less in
southeastern Canada. London, Kentucky, could be considered to be in the
southeastern U.S., and it's not far from Lexington. Well, maybe a tad too far
for a good commute. There's a New London in southeastern Connecticut.
I have a feeling I should have specified southeastern United States :)

How do you figure that Houston, Texas, is in the southeastern U.S.? Unless
you are talking about a much, much less well-known "Houston".

Arne Vajhøj

AaronLS said:
Are we talking London England, and Chennai in Africa?

I have a feeling I should have specified southeastern United States :)

I think we all knew that.

We were just having some fun.

Arne

PS: The Chennai in the IT world is in India not Africa.

AaronLS

I'm having a hard time with the characterization of Houston as a
"southeastern" city.  It's about fifty miles closer to San Diego than to New
York City.

I wouldn't use distance from New York as a benchmark because it is in
the north. I am using North Florida as my point of reference because
it is the most south eastern state, and I have family that lives there
(hence the reason to stay in the south eastern region).

Houston is about 9 hours from Florida, and New York is 18 hours from
Florida.

Lew

I wouldn't use distance from New York as a benchmark because it is in
the north.  I am using North Florida as my point of reference because
it is the most south eastern state, and I have family that lives there
(hence the reason to stay in the south eastern region).

Houston is about 9 hours from Florida, and New York is 18 hours from
Florida.

Man, you drive slow.

Google Maps has Jacksonville, FL, to Houston, TX, as 869 mi, 13h4m;
Jacksonville to NYC as 932 mi, 14h49m.

Miami, FL, to Houston, TX as 1,186 mi, 17h46m; Miami to NYC as 1,277
mi, 20h0m.

I have never, ever heard of Houston referred to as being in the
"southeast" of the U.S. before. Most of us Americans think of it as
being in the southwestern U.S., or perhaps south central. Have you
ever heard the expression, "West of the Mississippi"? The Mississippi
River is the conventional dividing line between eastern and western
U.S.

vk02720

I'm researching what southeastern cities have a high demand for java/
C# programmers.  I've looked at Atlanta, DC, Houston and several
others in Texas, Mobile AL, Huntsville AL.

If anyone has any ideas of other cities I should check out.

So far Huntsville looks appealing because the cost of housing is low,
very low crime rates, but average salaries/job demand is so-so.

Houston looks great, with great salaries, lower cost of housing(some
big cheap houses), but somewhat worse crime rates.  It's kind strange,
I would think that a place paying higher salaries would have more
expensive housing.  Is there something about Houston that people don't
wanna live there, such that the houses are worth less and jobs pay
more?

You can setup a job search profile in some of the job sites with
keywords Java, C# etc. and your choice of some cities and have the
results emailed to you and watch it for a while to see how the demand
is.

Tampa/St. Petersburg area is nice if I had to choose.
Agree with others that Houston cannot be particularly considered
Southeast :)
If you get a perm job with a stable (cannot say what that means
nowadays!) company then a smaller city can be ok but if you need more
flexibility then something like Atlanta maybe an option.