    James Britt

    "A principle or axiom is of no value without the rules for applying it."
    - Len Bullard
    James Britt, Oct 28, 2006

  2. James Britt

    Adam Keys Guest

    On Oct 27, 2006, at 8:32 PM, James Britt wrote:
    > Is anyone aware of, or interested in helping prepare, plans for a
    > U.S. SouthWest RubyConf 2007?

    I'm toying with the idea of organizing one in Dallas, TX. Not sure
    if that counts, Texas being its own country and all that ;)

    --
    ~akk
    http://therealadam.com
    Adam Keys, Oct 30, 2006

  3. James Britt

    pat eyler Guest

    On 10/27/06, James Britt <> wrote:
    > Is anyone aware of, or interested in helping prepare, plans for a U.S.
    > SouthWest RubyConf 2007?

    Depending on when and where, I'd likely be interested in helping out.

    --
    thanks,
    -pate
    pat eyler, Oct 30, 2006
  4. James Britt

    Guest

    Hi --

    On Tue, 31 Oct 2006, Adam Keys wrote:

    > On Oct 27, 2006, at 8:32 PM, James Britt wrote:
    >> Is anyone aware of, or interested in helping prepare, plans for a U.S.
    >> SouthWest RubyConf 2007?
    >>

    > I'm toying with the idea of organizing one in Dallas, TX. Not sure if that
    > counts, Texas being its own country and all that ;)

    Since we had a RubyConf in Austin, I guess RubyConf is "really
    international", or whatever it is that people keep saying we aren't
    :)

    David

    --
    David A. Black |
    , Oct 30, 2006
  5. James Britt wrote:
    > Is anyone aware of, or interested in helping prepare, plans for a U.S.
    > SouthWest RubyConf 2007?

    I would be willing to run the idea up the flagpole around Durango,
    Colorado, but that's pretty remote.
    Chris McMahon, Oct 30, 2006
  6. James Britt

    Sammy Larbi Guest

    I'm in Houston, TX, so I would be interested ... pending knowledge of
    the date such an event would be held.

    Sammy Larbi, Oct 30, 2006
  7. James Britt

    Mike Guest

    Yeah - I'm interested in helping.

    Mike, Oct 30, 2006
  8. I'd add a tentative +1 to this, since I missed the one in Denver.

    --
    Giles Bowkett
    http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
    Giles Bowkett, Oct 31, 2006
  9. James Britt

    pat eyler Guest

    On 10/30/06, Giles Bowkett <> wrote:
    > I'd add a tentative +1 to this, since I missed the one in Denver.

    Not to dissuade you from helping with a Southwest RubyConf,
    but the MountainWest RubyConf is likely closer to you (and the
    Denver/Colorado groups are helping with it).

    That said, I'm hoping to help with/go to the Southwest conference
    if there's any way I can make it happen.

    --
    thanks,
    -pate
    pat eyler, Oct 31, 2006
  10. pat eyler wrote:
    > Not to dissuade you from helping with a Southwest RubyConf,
    > but the MountainWest RubyConf is likely closer to you (and the
    > Denver/Colorado groups are helping with it).
    >
    > That said, I'm hoping to help with/go to the Southwest conference
    > if there's any way I can make it happen.

    Yeah ... MountainWest could easily cover the whole Mountain and Pacific
    Time Zones, I would think. You're very close to Colorado, Nevada and
    Arizona and "close enough" to Oregon and California. It might be a bit
    far for the folks in Seattle and in Texas, but they may have enough
    momentum to do their own conferences.
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Oct 31, 2006
  11. On 10/30/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <> wrote:
    > pat eyler wrote:
    > > Not to dissuade you from helping with a Southwest RubyConf,
    > > but the MountainWest RubyConf is likely closer to you (and the
    > > Denver/Colorado groups are helping with it).
    > >
    > > That said, I'm hoping to help with/go to the Southwest conference
    > > if there's any way I can make it happen.

    > Yeah ... MountainWest could easily cover the whole Mountain and Pacific
    > Time Zones, I would think. You're very close to Colorado, Nevada and
    > Arizona and "close enough" to Oregon and California. It might be a bit
    > far for the folks in Seattle and in Texas, but they may have enough
    > momentum to do their own conferences.

    OK. There's two things going on here. Firstly, everybody seems to know
    where I live. I find this kind of unnerving. Secondly, there seems to
    be some kind of RubyConf cell division occuring that I totally missed.

    --
    Giles Bowkett
    http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
    Giles Bowkett, Oct 31, 2006
  12. > That's the goal, at least. Have more Ruby events, smaller and more
    > accessible than the One True Conference. As of right now I'm planning
    > on attending the MountainWest conf (and would submit a talk proposal if
    > I could think of something novel to present).

    This does seem like a good thing. I may be planning to go to
    MountainWest, but then again, I was planning to make RubyConf, too.

    One request, there's a music conference in Miami that same month, the
    20th to the 25th. Scheduling overlap would be a bad thing.

    --
    Giles Bowkett
    http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
    Giles Bowkett, Oct 31, 2006
  13. James Britt

    pat eyler Guest

    On 10/31/06, Giles Bowkett <> wrote:
    > > That's the goal, at least. Have more Ruby events, smaller and more
    > > accessible than the One True Conference. As of right now I'm planning
    > > on attending the MountainWest conf (and would submit a talk proposal if
    > > I could think of something novel to present).

    > This does seem like a good thing. I may be planning to go to
    > MountainWest, but then again, I was planning to make RubyConf, too.
    >
    > One request, there's a music conference in Miami that same month, the
    > 20th to the 25th. Scheduling overlap would be a bad thing.

    The 20th through Easter are all bad times here as well.

    --
    thanks,
    -pate
    pat eyler, Oct 31, 2006
  14. James Britt

    James Britt Guest

    pat eyler wrote:
    > On 10/30/06, Giles Bowkett <> wrote:

    >> Secondly, there seems to
    >> be some kind of RubyConf cell division occuring that I totally missed.

    Oh, nothing of the kind. Pat hit the nail on the head:

    > Well, there's a desire to run regional RubyConferences to make it easier
    > to let a lot of folks attend. RubyCentral has announced a program to
    > sponsor regional conferences, and a number of groups have looked
    > at holding one (with or withough RubyCentral's help). The one, true
    > "International RubyConf" is still, and will still be a floating October
    > event. All the rest of us are trying to bring a little bit of that
    > closer to
    > home.
    >
    > As for me, I'd love to see 4-6 regional conferences around the USA
    > every year in addition to RubyConf ... If at all possible, I'd like to
    > attend
    > several of them, but then again, I'm just a Ruby addict.

    That's the goal, at least. Have more Ruby events, smaller and more
    accessible than the One True Conference. As of right now I'm planning
    on attending the MountainWest conf (and would submit a talk proposal if
    I could think of something novel to present).

    But I also want something closer to home.

    The more the merrier.

    --
    James Britt

    "Inside every large system there's a small system trying to get out".
    - Chet Hendrickson
    James Britt, Nov 1, 2006