SouthWest RubyConf?

James Britt

Is anyone aware of, or interested in helping prepare, plans for a U.S.
SouthWest RubyConf 2007?

Adam Keys

Is anyone aware of, or interested in helping prepare, plans for a
U.S. SouthWest RubyConf 2007?

I'm toying with the idea of organizing one in Dallas, TX. Not sure
if that counts, Texas being its own country and all that ;)

pat eyler

Is anyone aware of, or interested in helping prepare, plans for a U.S.
SouthWest RubyConf 2007?

Depending on when and where, I'd likely be interested in helping out.

dblack

Hi --

I'm toying with the idea of organizing one in Dallas, TX. Not sure if that
counts, Texas being its own country and all that ;)

Since we had a RubyConf in Austin, I guess RubyConf is "really
international", or whatever it is that people keep saying we aren't
:)

David

--
David A. Black | (e-mail address removed)

Chris McMahon

James said:
Is anyone aware of, or interested in helping prepare, plans for a U.S.
SouthWest RubyConf 2007?

I would be willing to run the idea up the flagpole around Durango,
Colorado, but that's pretty remote.

Sammy Larbi

I'm in Houston, TX, so I would be interested ... pending knowledge of
the date such an event would be held.

pat eyler

I'd add a tentative +1 to this, since I missed the one in Denver.

Not to dissuade you from helping with a Southwest RubyConf,
but the MountainWest RubyConf is likely closer to you (and the
Denver/Colorado groups are helping with it).

That said, I'm hoping to help with/go to the Southwest conference
if there's any way I can make it happen.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

pat said:
Not to dissuade you from helping with a Southwest RubyConf,
but the MountainWest RubyConf is likely closer to you (and the
Denver/Colorado groups are helping with it).

That said, I'm hoping to help with/go to the Southwest conference
if there's any way I can make it happen.

Yeah ... MountainWest could easily cover the whole Mountain and Pacific
Time Zones, I would think. You're very close to Colorado, Nevada and
Arizona and "close enough" to Oregon and California. It might be a bit
far for the folks in Seattle and in Texas, but they may have enough
momentum to do their own conferences.

Giles Bowkett

Yeah ... MountainWest could easily cover the whole Mountain and Pacific
Time Zones, I would think. You're very close to Colorado, Nevada and
Arizona and "close enough" to Oregon and California. It might be a bit
far for the folks in Seattle and in Texas, but they may have enough
momentum to do their own conferences.

OK. There's two things going on here. Firstly, everybody seems to know
where I live. I find this kind of unnerving. Secondly, there seems to
be some kind of RubyConf cell division occuring that I totally missed.

Giles Bowkett

That's the goal, at least. Have more Ruby events, smaller and more
accessible than the One True Conference. As of right now I'm planning
on attending the MountainWest conf (and would submit a talk proposal if
I could think of something novel to present).

This does seem like a good thing. I may be planning to go to
MountainWest, but then again, I was planning to make RubyConf, too.

One request, there's a music conference in Miami that same month, the
20th to the 25th. Scheduling overlap would be a bad thing.

pat eyler

This does seem like a good thing. I may be planning to go to
MountainWest, but then again, I was planning to make RubyConf, too.

One request, there's a music conference in Miami that same month, the
20th to the 25th. Scheduling overlap would be a bad thing.

The 20th through Easter are all bad times here as well.

James Britt

Oh, nothing of the kind. Pat hit the nail on the head:
Well, there's a desire to run regional RubyConferences to make it easier
to let a lot of folks attend. RubyCentral has announced a program to
sponsor regional conferences, and a number of groups have looked
at holding one (with or withough RubyCentral's help). The one, true
"International RubyConf" is still, and will still be a floating October
event. All the rest of us are trying to bring a little bit of that
closer to
home.

As for me, I'd love to see 4-6 regional conferences around the USA
every year in addition to RubyConf ... If at all possible, I'd like to
attend
several of them, but then again, I'm just a Ruby addict.

That's the goal, at least. Have more Ruby events, smaller and more
accessible than the One True Conference. As of right now I'm planning
on attending the MountainWest conf (and would submit a talk proposal if
I could think of something novel to present).

But I also want something closer to home.

The more the merrier.