    how i can use the space bar then?

    --
    http://www.telefonica.net/web2/burch

    RBB, Mar 25, 2005

  2. In article <42443af8$-privat.org>,
    says...
    > hello
    > when i write in the html editor like dreamweave.
    > when i press the space bar the cursor does not move,
    > so i had to use word to do it.
    >
    > how i can use the space bar then?

    The HTML editor is probably ignoring the space bar because white space
    is compressed to a single space. Try something like this in a HTML
    document then compare them in the browser:

    This is one space : :
    This is ten spaces : :

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.

    Hywel Jenkins, Mar 25, 2005

  3. RBB

    RBB Guest

    excuse me but i dont understand you,
    the problem is that i want to write words and when i press
    space bar (in dreamweave mx) the cursor does not move,
    to be exactly does just one move but no more.
    example: i cant make this and then write, it only alows me
    one space between words, thats not the case when i use word
    in a html document

    RBB, Mar 25, 2005
  4. RBB

    Oli Filth Guest

    RBB wrote:
    > excuse me but i dont understand you,
    > the problem is that i want to write words and when i press
    > space bar (in dreamweave mx) the cursor does not move,
    > to be exactly does just one move but no more.
    > example: i cant make this and then write, it only alows me
    > one space between words, thats not the case when i use word
    > in a html document

    Yes, that's what Hywel was saying. In HTML, it's pointless to have more
    than one space in a row, cos they're collapsed down into one space.
    Dreamweaver presumably knows this, and only allows you (the editor) to
    create one space at a time. Any more would be pointless.

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Mar 25, 2005
  5. RBB

    RBB Guest

    ...so then if i want to writte words, i mean text and place spaces,
    then i have to do it with word? not with an html editor right?

    RBB, Mar 25, 2005
  6. RBB

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:37:04 +0100, "RBB" <> wrote:

    : ..so then if i want to writte words, i mean text and place spaces,
    : then i have to do it with word? not with an html editor right?

    This is dble-spaced:
    The &nbsp; cat &nbsp; jumped &nbsp; on &nbsp; my &nbsp; mouse.

    OR

    <pre>
    The cat jumped on my mouse.
    </pre>

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Mar 25, 2005
  7. RBB

    Oli Filth Guest

    RBB wrote:
    > ..so then if i want to writte words, i mean text and place spaces,
    > then i have to do it with word? not with an html editor right?

    No, that won't help. Even if you use Word and type something like:

    Hello world.

    into an HTML document, it will be shown in a web-browser as:

    Hello world.

    If you want multiple spaces to show up, you must use &nbsp;, e.g.:

    Hello &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; world.

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Mar 25, 2005
  8. RBB

    RBB Guest

    sorry about my ignorance, is just the first web page i have done,
    and no body is teaching me so i just practice and experiment,
    regarding word, finally i did wrote the words with it and no problem,
    after wards i saved the page as html, but also in word i can
    use the option to view as a html and then i can use the space bar
    as any normal text editor,
    you can have a look here

    --
    http://www.telefonica.net/web2/burch

    the page "about me" i did with word instead dreamweaver,
    and well is not very atractive tu use an html editor, imagine how simple
    is to click many times the space bar, imagine that for just une space i have to
    writte what you tell me, i mean "&nbsp", it is tedious then........
    but as i told you i know nothein about html editing, i am searching for
    the very basic tutorial, anyway, to be my first web is not that bad :))

    regards
    richard

    &nbsp

    RBB, Mar 25, 2005
  9. RBB wrote:
    > when i write in the html editor like dreamweave.
    > when i press the space bar the cursor does not move,
    > so i had to use word to do it.

    It is considered whitespace and ignored

    > how i can use the space bar then?

    Why are you trying to put a bunch of spaces in your document? Are you
    trying to do something like put 2 spaces after a period? If yu are
    trying t line things up then this will not work.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Mar 25, 2005
  10. RBB

    Kibo Guest

    In article <42444c5d$-privat.org>,
    says...
    > "Oli Filth" <> escribió en el mensaje news:jPX0e.178$...
    > > RBB wrote:
    > >> excuse me but i dont understand you,
    > >> the problem is that i want to write words and when i press
    > >> space bar (in dreamweave mx) the cursor does not move,
    > >> to be exactly does just one move but no more.
    > >> example: i cant make this and then write, it only alows me
    > >> one space between words, thats not the case when i use word
    > >> in a html document
    > >>

    > > Yes, that's what Hywel was saying. In HTML, it's pointless to have morethan one space in a row, cos they're collapsed down into
    > > one space. Dreamweaver presumably knows this, and only allows you (the editor) to create one space at a time. Any more would be
    > > pointless.

    > ..so then if i want to writte words, i mean text and place spaces,
    > then i have to do it with word? not with an html editor right?

    Why would you use spaces for placement? It won't work properly unless
    you have a fixed-width font in Word.

    Quote properly, while you're at it:

    http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.

    Kibo, Mar 25, 2005
  11. RBB

    Kibo Guest

    In article <42445ab3$-privat.org>,
    says...
    > sorry about my ignorance, is just the first web page i have done,
    > and no body is teaching me so i just practice and experiment,
    > regarding word, finally i did wrote the words with it and no problem,
    > after wards i saved the page as html, but also in word i can
    > use the option to view as a html and then i can use the space bar
    > as any normal text editor,
    > you can have a look here
    >
    > --
    > http://www.telefonica.net/web2/burch

    Sorry Richard, but that code is bloody awful. You should learn to write
    HTML properly.

    --
    http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.

    Kibo, Mar 25, 2005
  12. RBB

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Sid Ismail wrote:

    > This is dble-spaced:
    > The &nbsp; cat &nbsp; jumped &nbsp; on &nbsp; my &nbsp; mouse.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Mar 25, 2005
  13. RBB wrote:

    > sorry about my ignorance, is just the first web page i have done,
    > and no body is teaching me so i just practice and experiment,
    > regarding word, finally i did wrote the words with it and no problem,
    > after wards i saved the page as html, but also in word i can
    > use the option to view as a html and then i can use the space bar
    > as any normal text editor,
    > you can have a look here
    >
    > --
    > http://www.telefonica.net/web2/burch

    Richard,

    I know the way you feel like, but you won't be able to succeed without
    putting a bit of an effort into learning HTML.
    I you happen to read German, here's a good link to start off with:
    http://aktuell.de.selfhtml.org/

    Otherwise, use Google to search for English (or other languages) HTML
    tutorials which introduce you into writing internet pages.

    Mike

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.majaeger.de

    Michael Jaeger, Mar 26, 2005
  14. On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:22:50 +0100, "RBB" <> wrote:

    >hello
    >when i write in the html editor like dreamweave.
    >when i press the space bar the cursor does not move,
    >so i had to use word to do it.

    You have two problems; the shift key on newsreader doesn't work,
    either.

    Others have given you the reason why DW is doing this. If you describe
    in more detail what it is you are trying to achieve (e.g., more
    spacing between words, lining up text with something above it,
    indenting a paragraph, etc., ) then we can give you more detailed
    advice.

    Nick

    --
    Nick Theodorakis

    contact form:
    http://theodorakis.net/contact.html

    Nick Theodorakis, Mar 26, 2005
  15. RBB

    RBB Guest

    as i said, exuse my ignorance about html editing,
    i just wanted to make a text with dreamweaver,
    but when i want to separate some words with more
    spaces the space bar doeas not work, i cant write like
    a normal text editor, so i cant make text in dreamweaver,
    i just doit with word and then save it as an html.

    like making this message, if it was dreamweaver i cant make the
    spaces i want or so,
    it means that dreamweaver is not good to make text and separate
    words as you like in a simple way??

    RBB, Mar 26, 2005
  16. RBB

    Jim Royal Guest

    In article <-privat.org>, RBB
    <> wrote:

    > i just wanted to make a text with dreamweaver,
    > but when i want to separate some words with more
    > spaces the space bar doeas not work, i cant write like
    > a normal text editor, so i cant make text in dreamweaver,
    > i just doit with word and then save it as an html.
    >
    > like making this message, if it was dreamweaver i cant make the
    > spaces i want or so,
    > it means that dreamweaver is not good to make text and separate
    > words as you like in a simple way??

    It is not a Dreamweaver problem. Dreamweaver is very good to make web
    page text. Dreamweaver is working the way it should.

    The problem is that in a web page, you are not allowed to have more
    than one space. If you type more than one space, the extra spaces are
    removed automatically.

    If I type this in a web page:

    "This is a test."

    It will appear like this:

    "This is a test."

    You may be asking, why does it do this? Why does it not allow extra
    spaces? The reason is that extra spaces are very very bad.

    If you look at any professional publishing program (such as
    FrameMaker), you will see that these programs do not allow extra
    spaces. There are many tools available to control the spacing between
    words. These tools give you better control, and allow the document to
    be edited more easily in the future.

    In the case of web pages, you can use tables, or text-centering, or
    word-spacing, or the <PRE> element to control the spacing between
    words. Which one should you use? That depends on what you want the page
    to look like.

    I suggest that you buy a book about HTML and cascading style sheets
    before going any further. You will feel a lot less frustrated.

    --
    Jim Royal
    "Understanding is a three-edged sword"

    Jim Royal, Mar 26, 2005
  17. RBB

    Oli Filth Guest

    RBB wrote:
    > as i said, exuse my ignorance about html editing,
    > i just wanted to make a text with dreamweaver,
    > but when i want to separate some words with more
    > spaces the space bar doeas not work, i cant write like
    > a normal text editor, so i cant make text in dreamweaver,
    > i just doit with word and then save it as an html.
    >
    > like making this message, if it was dreamweaver i cant make the
    > spaces i want or so,
    > it means that dreamweaver is not good to make text and separate
    > words as you like in a simple way??

    Basically, yes. So if you want to do write some text that isn't HTML,
    don't use an HTML editor! (i.e. Dreamweaver)

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Mar 26, 2005
  18. RBB

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 14:57:12 +0100, "RBB" <> wrote:

    : it means that dreamweaver is not good to make text and separate
    : words as you like in a simple way??

    Didn't you read the previous posts?

    In HTML, a big fat cat
    will become "a big fat cat", DW or any other HTML editor.

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Mar 26, 2005