Space between table rows in Mozilla

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Christopher Finke, Nov 1, 2003.

  1. Christopher Finke, Nov 1, 2003

  2. "Christopher Finke" <> wrote:

    > Does anyone know why this page: http://www.emanuelhamburg.org/index.html
    > has white spaces between the table rows in Mozilla and not in IE?

    Apparently Mozilla allocates heights for the cells differently from what we
    might expect. But after quite some study of this situation, I found:

    If you remove the doctype declaration, the problem vanishes. Mozilla is
    doing some doctype sniffing. Naturally this means that for validation, you
    need to use an explicit doctype selection in a validator's user interface.

    I have no idea what Mozilla is doing this time. Doctype sniffing generally
    means that it tries to simulate bugs in older browsers. But sometimes it
    just gets confused. And, after all, doing pixel-exact table layout doesn't
    really comply with the spirit of Strict (X)HTML, even if the markup (almost)
    validates as Strict, so asking for old-timer tag soup processing is logical.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 2, 2003

  3. Christopher Finke

    altamir Guest

    altamir, Nov 2, 2003
  4. Re: Space between table rows in Mozilla - Resolved

    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message
    > "Christopher Finke" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone know why this page: http://www.emanuelhamburg.org/index.html
    > > has white spaces between the table rows in Mozilla and not in IE?

    [snip]

    > doing pixel-exact table layout doesn't
    > really comply with the spirit of Strict (X)HTML, even if the markup

    (almost)
    > validates as Strict, so asking for old-timer tag soup processing is

    logical.

    That's true, as well as insightful. I do believe that I will be rewriting
    the page in order to rid it of its table-based layout in favor of CSS only
    or an image map. But in the mean time, altamir's suggestion of using {
    display: block; } for the images in that table worked like a charm. Thanks
    all!

    Christopher Finke

    Christopher Finke, Nov 2, 2003