span top bottom border missing

David Graham

Hi
I am a bit confused about the way a page suggested by Toby renders in
different browsers

http://p0c79.phpwebhosting.com/~p0c79/test.html

In IE6 the dashed top and bottom border of the span is missing. In Mozilla
1.4 and Opera 7.1 the top and bottom dashed border are present but they are
external to the containing div. What is responsible for the different
appearance between browsers and why is the containing div not containing the
span in Mozilla/Opera?

BTW - I turned a border on for the div so I could see it. I tried adding a
height property to the div, this makes the div extend downwards revealing
the bottom dashed border in IE but the top dashed border remains hidden.

David Graham