span versus div

rf

Spartanicus whined:
but there's nothing like exaggeration to make it appear
like you have a point.
you have a fundamentally wrong view of how the 2 work.

Apparently you have eye sight issues to boot.
Your ignorance may be beyond salvation,
You really are clueless.

Hmmm. Total stawman argument.

The tone of my posts may be just a little forcefull, if only because that is
the way your subthread here started. Nowhere however did I resort to
personal insult. If you took any of it that way then my apologies.

This latest post of yours makes you appear to be simply an ignorant and
arrogant pompous ass.

There is no longer any point in "discussing" *anything* with you.

Neal

Got a reason to go with that?

Float is only explicitly meant for allowing content to flow to the side
and below if you look at it with a closed mind.

"A float is a box that is shifted to the left or right on the current
line. The most interesting characteristic of a float (or "floated" or
"floating" box) is that content may flow along its side (or be prohibited
from doing so by the 'clear' property)."

The first sentence serves to define. The second merely serves to point out
a feature. If you do not intend to use that feature, it is not necessarily
wrong.
Another of my favorite bugbears, inappropriate usage of absolute
positioning.

"Absolute positioning. In the absolute positioning model, a box is removed
from the normal flow entirely (it has no impact on later siblings) and
assigned a position with respect to a containing block."

Please show where it is said that absolute positioning is inappropriate
when you intend a box to be rendered in a position out of normal flow, and
to remove it from normal flow.

Spartanicus

rf said:
So what would be an *appropriate* use of absolute positioning?

Use of absolute positioning *might* be appropriate if content cannot be
appropriately positioned on screen through normal flow whilst
maintaining correct content linearity. All subject to a proper
benefit/drawback analysis because of the intrinsic drawbacks.

Neal

Spartanicus said:
Use of absolute positioning *might* be appropriate if content cannot be
appropriately positioned on screen through normal flow whilst
maintaining correct content linearity. All subject to a proper
benefit/drawback analysis because of the intrinsic drawbacks.

What drawbacks?

And where does the recommendation restrict our use of absolute positioning
in this manner?

Spartanicus

Neal said:
Float is only explicitly meant for allowing content to flow to the side
and below if you look at it with a closed mind.

"A float is a box that is shifted to the left or right on the current
line. The most interesting characteristic of a float (or "floated" or
"floating" box) is that content may flow along its side (or be prohibited
from doing so by the 'clear' property)."

The first sentence serves to define. The second merely serves to point out
a feature. If you do not intend to use that feature, it is not necessarily
wrong.

It is not a binary issue (right/wrong), the question is what is the most
appropriate way to code it. To figure that out there is little point in
looking in the spec for a recommendation as to what technique to use for
a given situation, it needs to be derived from an understanding of the
methods available and their respective drawbacks.
"Absolute positioning. In the absolute positioning model, a box is removed
from the normal flow entirely (it has no impact on later siblings) and
assigned a position with respect to a containing block."

Please show where it is said that absolute positioning is inappropriate
when you intend a box to be rendered in a position out of normal flow, and
to remove it from normal flow.

Removing elements from the flow *is* the problem. Issues that result
from it:

1) Absolutely positioned elements are not repositioned when the flow
changes (for example the user increases the font size), this results in
elements overlapping each other.
2) A browser will not produce scroll bars when needed if the content is
not in the flow.

Similar problems occur with floats plus they can cause vertical
displacement of the content.

The CSS table solution doesn't suffer from any of these problems since
it remains in the flow, hence it's "the proper tool for this job".

The flow is your friend, don't forsake it without careful consideration
of the consequences.

Spartanicus

rf said:
Hmmm. Total stawman argument.

The tone of my posts may be just a little forcefull, if only because that is
the way your subthread here started. Nowhere however did I resort to
personal insult. If you took any of it that way then my apologies.

This latest post of yours makes you appear to be simply an ignorant and
arrogant pompous ass.

My reaction reflects the fact that you've been making some outrages
claims:

HTML has no semantics:
there is nothing different
between <span style="font-size: 2em; font-weight: bolder; display: block;
margin: .67em 0;"> and <h1>.
An *optional* *style* language should be parsed to derive semantics:
CSS tables allow an author to reproduce HTML tables.

Put your foot in it and you'll be corrected in this group, it happens to
all of us regardless of persona. You are amongst the first to come down
hard on people who display a fundamental misunderstanding of the issues,
but when it is you making such elementary mistakes you can't handle
being on the receiving end.

Lauri Raittila

No, it certainly is. This is not possible using table or absolute
positioning. This is whta float is for.

fjdfkdbsfj eregrer erfes
rgferg krbsrgkerg
e 0-232424242

fjdfkdbsfj eregrer erfes
rgferg krbsrgkerg e
0-232424242

Seems to be exact idea of float.

There is lots of stupid use of absolute positioning, but, inappropiate, I
wouldn't think there can be...
"Absolute positioning. In the absolute positioning model, a box is removed
from the normal flow entirely (it has no impact on later siblings) and
assigned a position with respect to a containing block."

So, this is hack:
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~laurirai/www/css/splitmenu/

(uses both float and absolute positioning)