    For anyone speaking at the conference (or generally), I hope this will
    be helpful. Thanks!

    -eric

    Eric Snow, Jan 29, 2012

  2. Eric Snow

    Roy Smith Guest

    Wow. As somebody who has given plenty of talks, I can tell you this is an awesome checklist (and most of it not specific to PyCon).

    Let me add one suggestion -- never, ever, ever, type a URL into a browser connected to the internet in front of a live audience. You never know when you're going to make a typo and something *totally* not what you expected will fill the screen. If you absolutely insist on ignoring the good advice about not doing live demos, at least bookmark your urls and click on the bookmark. DAMHIKT.

    Roy Smith, Jan 30, 2012

  3. Eric Snow

    Roy Smith, Jan 30, 2012
  4. On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM, Roy Smith <> wrote:
    > Wow.  As somebody who has given plenty of talks, I can tell you thisis an awesome checklist (and most of it not specific to PyCon).
    >
    > Let me add one suggestion -- never, ever, ever, type a URL into a browserconnected to the internet in front of a live audience.  You never know when you're going to make a typo and something *totally* not what you expected will fill the screen.  If you absolutely insist on ignoring the good advice about not doing live demos, at least bookmark your urls and click on the bookmark.  DAMHIKT.

    I have to ask... was it python.com?

    -- Devin

    Devin Jeanpierre, Jan 30, 2012
  5. Eric Snow

    Guest

    Roy,

    > Let me add one suggestion -- never, ever, ever, type a URL into a browser connected to the internet in front of a live audience. You never know when you're going to make a typo and something *totally* not what you expected will fill the screen.

    Great advice!

    Years ago I did a presentation on Python and then launched a browser to
    give a tour of the Python website.

    When I went to enter the URL, I accidentally typed in python.com (which
    at the time was an adult website) vs. python.org.

    Talk about getting your audience's attention!!

    Malcolm

    BTW: Great tips Eric - thanks for sharing.

    , Jan 31, 2012
  6. On 29/01/2012 03:32, Eric Snow wrote:
    > This is my first year speaking at PyCon, so I solicited
    > speaking/preparation advice from a bunch of folks, particularly
    > focusing on the PyCon speaking experience. I've compiled the results
    > and put them online:
    >
    > http://ref.rtfd.org/speakers
    >
    > This is still rough, and feedback is welcome, as is more advice. :)
    > For anyone speaking at the conference (or generally), I hope this will
    > be helpful. Thanks!
    >
    > -eric

    Good general presentation tips, I have another suggestion:
    If you bring your own laptop, make sure to practice connecting it to the
    projector and have a special presentation account (which you also used
    for your practice and nothing else).

    --
    mph

    Martin P. Hellwig, Jan 31, 2012