Special C Preprocessing Tool Needed for Pruning of #ifdefs in code

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by jvankay, Jan 11, 2005.

  1. jvankay

    jvankay Guest

    Does any C guru out there know of a C pre-processing tool that will allow
    limited pruning of C source based on a single #define variable.

    That is, in the code fragment below:

    XXX
    #ifdef UndesirableTag
    YYY
    #ifdef TagB
    ZZZ
    #endif
    AAA
    #endif
    BBB
    #ifdef TagC
    CCC.
    #endif
    DDD

    If "UndesirableTag" and all of its code is to be removed from a file (with
    other #defines in it), then the outer #ifdef and the code all the way to the
    2nd #endif inclusive should be removed, but nothing else touched.

    Cpp is not suitable because it will remove all the defines and inline the
    #includes. Ideally the tool will handle ifdef, ifndef, else, elif, endif,
    if Defined, if expr, and nested ifs. We need this for a project with many
    source files and many defines in the project.

    Anyone know of a tool that will do this, or something close to this?

    Any help would be appreciated. Please email to .

    Thanks and best regards.

    jvankay, Jan 11, 2005

  2. On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:36:56 -0500, jvankay
    <> wrote:

    > Does any C guru out there know of a C pre-processing tool that will allow
    > limited pruning of C source based on a single #define variable.
    >
    > That is, in the code fragment below:
    >
    > XXX
    > #ifdef UndesirableTag
    > YYY
    > #ifdef TagB
    > ZZZ
    > #endif
    > AAA
    > #endif
    > BBB
    > #ifdef TagC
    > CCC.
    > #endif
    > DDD
    >
    > If "UndesirableTag" and all of its code is to be removed from a file (with
    > other #defines in it), then the outer #ifdef and the code all the way to the
    > 2nd #endif inclusive should be removed, but nothing else touched.

    Yes. You can look for things called rmif and scpp, if you can get them
    to compile and run on your system. Or I have one which I wrote
    recently:

    http://www.keristor.co.uk/stuff/xcpp-0.4.0.tar.gz

    Mine is ISO C89 (other versions are pre-ISO, as I recall). It's coped
    with everything I've thrown at it, I'd be interested if you find any
    bugs in it or any problems compiling it on some platform, I'd like to
    fix them if found. It also handles things like limits.h, float.h and
    autoconf type config.h files which use #define and #undef, which the
    others don't, as well as -D and -U to defined and undefine macros. It
    doesn't hadle macros with varargs but I doubt you want that...

    > Cpp is not suitable because it will remove all the defines and inline the
    > #includes. Ideally the tool will handle ifdef, ifndef, else, elif, endif,
    > if Defined, if expr, and nested ifs. We need this for a project with many
    > source files and many defines in the project.

    Yup, that's what mine is designed for. It's released as Free Software
    (Zlib type licence).

    > Anyone know of a tool that will do this, or something close to this?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. Please email to .

    Emailed as well as posted.

    Chris C

    Chris Croughton, Jan 11, 2005

  3. On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:53:01 +0000, Chris Croughton
    <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:36:56 -0500, jvankay
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Does any C guru out there know of a C pre-processing tool that will allow
    >> limited pruning of C source based on a single #define variable.

    > Yes. You can look for things called rmif and scpp, if you can get them
    > to compile and run on your system. Or I have one which I wrote
    > recently:
    >
    > http://www.keristor.co.uk/stuff/xcpp-0.4.0.tar.gz

    Oops, that should be

    http://www.keristor.co.uk/stuff/xcpp-0.5.0.tar.gz

    I fixed some bugs and uploaded it to the website but didn't regenerate
    my web page to indicate the latest version.

    Emailed as well as posted.

    Chris C

    Chris Croughton, Jan 11, 2005
  4. jvankay

    Ira Baxter Guest

    "jvankay" <> wrote in message
    > Does any C guru out there know of a C pre-processing tool that will allow
    > limited pruning of C source based on a single #define variable.
    >
    > That is, in the code fragment below:
    >
    > XXX
    > #ifdef UndesirableTag
    > YYY
    > #ifdef TagB
    > ZZZ
    > #endif
    > AAA
    > #endif
    > BBB
    > #ifdef TagC
    > CCC.
    > #endif
    > DDD
    >
    > If "UndesirableTag" and all of its code is to be removed from a file (with
    > other #defines in it), then the outer #ifdef and the code all the way to

    the
    > 2nd #endif inclusive should be removed, but nothing else touched.
    >
    > Cpp is not suitable because it will remove all the defines and inline the
    > #includes. Ideally the tool will handle ifdef, ifndef, else, elif, endif,
    > if Defined, if expr, and nested ifs. We need this for a project with many
    > source files and many defines in the project.
    >
    > Anyone know of a tool that will do this, or something close to this?

    See http://www.semanticdesigns.com/Products/Tools.html

    -- IDB

    Ira Baxter, Jan 12, 2005
  5. jvankay

    jvankay Guest

    Thank you very much Chris,

    We will try yours out

    Regards,

    Joseph V.

    jvankay, Jan 12, 2005
  6. jvankay

    jvankay Guest

    Thank you Chris. We will try out your tool on some nasty code

    jvankay, Jan 12, 2005
  7. jvankay

    CBFalconer Guest

    Chris Croughton wrote:
    > <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does any C guru out there know of a C pre-processing tool that
    >>> will allow limited pruning of C source based on a single #define
    >>> variable.

    >> Yes. You can look for things called rmif and scpp, if you can
    >> get them to compile and run on your system. Or I have one which
    >> I wrote recently:
    >>
    >> http://www.keristor.co.uk/stuff/xcpp-0.4.0.tar.gz

    > Oops, that should be
    >
    > http://www.keristor.co.uk/stuff/xcpp-0.5.0.tar.gz
    >
    > I fixed some bugs and uploaded it to the website but didn't
    > regenerate my web page to indicate the latest version.

    You may or may not be interested to know that it compiled out of
    the box under DJGPP. However note the warnings below. I haven't
    attempted to do anything about them. Offhand it looks like a well
    done piece.

    It would also be pleasant to have the man page in info format.

    c:\dnld\scratch\junk>make
    gcc -g -Wall -W -pedantic -ansi -c -o xcpp.o xcpp.c
    xcpp.c: In function `tracemem':
    xcpp.c:2712: warning: int format, long unsigned int arg (arg 3)
    xcpp.c:2713: warning: int format, long unsigned int arg (arg 3)
    xcpp.c:2714: warning: int format, long unsigned int arg (arg 3)
    xcpp.c:2716: warning: int format, long unsigned int arg (arg 3)
    xcpp.c: In function `main':
    xcpp.c:2811: warning: int format, long unsigned int arg (arg 3)
    gcc -g -Wall -W -pedantic -ansi -c -o xcppopt.o xcppopt.c
    gcc -g -Wall -W -pedantic -ansi -c -o xcppmem.o xcppmem.c
    gcc -g -Wall -W -pedantic -ansi -c -o xcppmath.o xcppmath.c
    gcc -g -Wall -W -pedantic -ansi -o xcpp xcpp.o xcppopt.o xcppmem.o
    xcppmath.o

    You might also want to look on my page (URL below), download
    section, for id2id-20.zip. It contains a simple technique for
    automatic help when stdin on filters has not been redirected.
    Steal it.

    --
    Chuck F () ()

    CBFalconer, Jan 12, 2005
  8. On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:05:18 GMT, CBFalconer
    <> wrote:

    > Chris Croughton wrote:
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Yes. You can look for things called rmif and scpp, if you can
    >>> get them to compile and run on your system. Or I have one which
    >>> I wrote recently:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.keristor.co.uk/stuff/xcpp-0.4.0.tar.gz

    >> Oops, that should be
    >>
    >> http://www.keristor.co.uk/stuff/xcpp-0.5.0.tar.gz
    >>
    >> I fixed some bugs and uploaded it to the website but didn't
    >> regenerate my web page to indicate the latest version.

    > You may or may not be interested to know that it compiled out of
    > the box under DJGPP. However note the warnings below. I haven't
    > attempted to do anything about them. Offhand it looks like a well
    > done piece.

    Thanks. DJGPP is a version of gcc, so it should have compiled, but it
    probably has different memory options from the Linux and Cygwin
    versions. Borland C 5.6 gives a load of warnings about unused variables
    which I need to check sometime (and I may include a Borland makefile
    with the next version).

    > It would also be pleasant to have the man page in info format.

    I'll have to learn the texinfo stuff sometime. Or there might be a tool
    which does the conversion.

    > c:\dnld\scratch\junk>make
    > gcc -g -Wall -W -pedantic -ansi -c -o xcpp.o xcpp.c
    > xcpp.c: In function `tracemem':
    > xcpp.c:2712: warning: int format, long unsigned int arg (arg 3)
    > xcpp.c:2713: warning: int format, long unsigned int arg (arg 3)
    > xcpp.c:2714: warning: int format, long unsigned int arg (arg 3)
    > xcpp.c:2716: warning: int format, long unsigned int arg (arg 3)
    > xcpp.c: In function `main':
    > xcpp.c:2811: warning: int format, long unsigned int arg (arg 3)

    Ah yes. I wonder why gcc didn't report them for me. Which version of
    gcc are you using (which base version, that is)? Neither 2.95.4 (Debian
    GNU/Linux) nor 3.3.3 (Cygwin) produce any of those warnings with those
    options. Which is odd, since I know I've seen gcc complain about printf
    mismatches before. Perhaps they don't care because long and int are the
    same size on those platforms?

    > gcc -g -Wall -W -pedantic -ansi -c -o xcppopt.o xcppopt.c
    > gcc -g -Wall -W -pedantic -ansi -c -o xcppmem.o xcppmem.c
    > gcc -g -Wall -W -pedantic -ansi -c -o xcppmath.o xcppmath.c
    > gcc -g -Wall -W -pedantic -ansi -o xcpp xcpp.o xcppopt.o xcppmem.o
    > xcppmath.o
    >
    > You might also want to look on my page (URL below), download
    > section, for id2id-20.zip. It contains a simple technique for
    > automatic help when stdin on filters has not been redirected.
    > Steal it.

    It seems to use non-C POSIX functions fileno() and isatty() to determine
    whether stdin has been redirected, which makes it not standard C (it's
    not often I get to tease /you/ about being off-topic <g>). AS far as I
    know there is no portable way to do it. I might just disable the
    automatic filter mode since an argument of just '-' means "use stdin"
    anyway (indeed, when it finds there are no arguments it just calls the
    function which does the work with "-").

    Chris C

    Chris Croughton, Jan 12, 2005
  9. jvankay

    CBFalconer Guest

    Chris Croughton wrote:
    > <> wrote:

    .... snip ...

    >> You might also want to look on my page (URL below), download
    >> section, for id2id-20.zip. It contains a simple technique for
    >> automatic help when stdin on filters has not been redirected.

    > Steal it.
    >
    > It seems to use non-C POSIX functions fileno() and isatty() to
    > determine whether stdin has been redirected, which makes it not
    > standard C (it's not often I get to tease /you/ about being
    > off-topic <g>). AS far as I know there is no portable way to
    > do it. I might just disable the automatic filter mode since an
    > argument of just '-' means "use stdin" anyway (indeed, when it
    > finds there are no arguments it just calls the function which
    > does the work with "-").

    The routine is labelled as non-standard, but organized to co-exist
    with the -pedantic option. If it can't be used on a system all you
    have to do is return 0 from a replacement routine, and you are back
    to the existing situation. At any rate, most of the time our
    systems are running on something that has Posix functions
    available, and this takes advantage of that without insisting on
    it.

    The other way you have to put in code to handle the '-' and
    remember to use that argument in any chained commands, etc.

    "something | operate thing"

    is easier to remember or create than

    "something | operate thing -"

    especially when you are used to using operate with redirection.

    --
    Chuck F () ()

    CBFalconer, Jan 12, 2005
  10. Re: Special C Preprocessing Tool Needed for Pruning of #ifdefs incode

    Chris Croughton <> writes:
    [...]
    > Oops, that should be
    >
    > http://www.keristor.co.uk/stuff/xcpp-0.5.0.tar.gz

    I haven't tried it, but I did download it, and the packaging is a bit
    odd. Generally a tarball named "xcpp-0.5.0.tar.gz" should contain a
    directory called "xcpp-0.5.0"; yours contains all the files directly.
    Also, one of the files is called "xcpp-0.5.0.tar.gz", which causes
    problems when I unpack it into the current directory.

    Keith Thompson, Jan 12, 2005
  11. On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 01:34:31 -0500, jvankay
    <> wrote:

    > Thank you very much Chris,
    >
    > We will try yours out

    I've found and fixed a bug with nested #else when the code was being
    compiled out, removed the warnings some compilers gave, and the tar now
    extracts to a subdirectory (as Keith pointed out) and doesn't contain
    the previous targzball.

    http://www.keristor.co.uk/stuff/xcpp-0.5.2.tar.gz

    (Posted and mailed)

    Chris C

    Chris Croughton, Jan 17, 2005
  12. jvankay

    CBFalconer Guest

    Chris Croughton wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > I've found and fixed a bug with nested #else when the code was being
    > compiled out, removed the warnings some compilers gave, and the tar
    > now extracts to a subdirectory (as Keith pointed out) and doesn't
    > contain the previous targzball.
    >
    > http://www.keristor.co.uk/stuff/xcpp-0.5.2.tar.gz

    Grabbed it but haven't looked inside. For some reason it arrives
    here with an extra .tar appended to the filename. The other thing
    is why is it so much smaller than the previous?

    1-11-05 17:46 70,443 xcpp-0.5.0.tar.gz
    1-17-05 21:57 33,307 xcpp-0.5.2.tar.gz

    I ran your older one with --version (nothing happened) and with -h,
    which told me something, but not the version. Neither did -V. :-(

    CBFalconer, Jan 18, 2005
  13. Re: Special C Preprocessing Tool Needed for Pruning of #ifdefs incode

    CBFalconer <> writes:
    > Chris Croughton wrote:
    >>

    > ... snip ...
    >>
    >> I've found and fixed a bug with nested #else when the code was being
    >> compiled out, removed the warnings some compilers gave, and the tar
    >> now extracts to a subdirectory (as Keith pointed out) and doesn't
    >> contain the previous targzball.
    >>
    >> http://www.keristor.co.uk/stuff/xcpp-0.5.2.tar.gz

    > Grabbed it but haven't looked inside. For some reason it arrives
    > here with an extra .tar appended to the filename.

    It works for me. (I used "wget" to download it; maybe your browser is
    doing something funny.)

    > The other thing
    > is why is it so much smaller than the previous?
    >
    > 1-11-05 17:46 70,443 xcpp-0.5.0.tar.gz
    > 1-17-05 21:57 33,307 xcpp-0.5.2.tar.gz

    The previous one had an extraneous copy of xcpp-0.5.0.tar.gz within
    it. (Presumably not an identical copy, but I didn't check.)

    Keith Thompson, Jan 18, 2005
  14. On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 04:54:59 GMT, CBFalconer
    <> wrote:

    > Chris Croughton wrote:
    >>

    > ... snip ...
    >>
    >> I've found and fixed a bug with nested #else when the code was being
    >> compiled out, removed the warnings some compilers gave, and the tar
    >> now extracts to a subdirectory (as Keith pointed out) and doesn't
    >> contain the previous targzball.
    >>
    >> http://www.keristor.co.uk/stuff/xcpp-0.5.2.tar.gz

    > Grabbed it but haven't looked inside. For some reason it arrives
    > here with an extra .tar appended to the filename.

    What are you using to fetch it? I've used both wget and Firefox, both
    get it with the correct name.

    > The other thing is why is it so much smaller than the previous?

    Because the previous one contained the previous targzball (34k
    uncompressable).

    > 1-11-05 17:46 70,443 xcpp-0.5.0.tar.gz
    > 1-17-05 21:57 33,307 xcpp-0.5.2.tar.gz
    >
    > I ran your older one with --version (nothing happened) and with -h,
    > which told me something, but not the version. Neither did -V. :-(

    True, --version/-V is one of the bits not implemented yet <g>. Along
    with decent help (all it does at present is list the options with no
    other information; my C++ help system can handle option types (whether
    they accept values etc.), do word wrapping on text for each option,
    etc., but I haven't rewritten it in C).

    Chris C

    Chris Croughton, Jan 18, 2005
  15. Re: Special C Preprocessing Tool Needed for Pruning of #ifdefs incode

    Chris Croughton <> writes:
    [...]
    > http://www.keristor.co.uk/stuff/xcpp-0.5.4.tar.gz

    It's not there.

    Keith Thompson, Jan 19, 2005
  16. On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 01:04:51 GMT, Keith Thompson
    <> wrote:

    > Chris Croughton <> writes:
    > [...]
    >> http://www.keristor.co.uk/stuff/xcpp-0.5.4.tar.gz

    > It's not there.

    Hmm, I don't know why it didn't get there, it got to my other servers
    and I didn't see an error from sitecpoy. I've just forced an upload and
    verified that I can fetch it from there now...

    Chris C

    Chris Croughton, Jan 19, 2005
  17. jvankay

    CBFalconer Guest

    Chris Croughton wrote:
    > <> wrote:
    >> Chris Croughton <> writes:
    >> [...]
    >>> http://www.keristor.co.uk/stuff/xcpp-0.5.4.tar.gz

    >> It's not there.

    > Hmm, I don't know why it didn't get there, it got to my other servers
    > and I didn't see an error from sitecpoy. I've just forced an upload and
    > verified that I can fetch it from there now...

    0.5.4 isn't there, but 0.5.3 is.

    CBFalconer, Jan 19, 2005
  18. On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:02:58 GMT, CBFalconer
    <> wrote:

    > Chris Croughton wrote:
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> Chris Croughton <> writes:
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> It's not there.

    >> Hmm, I don't know why it didn't get there, it got to my other servers
    >> and I didn't see an error from sitecpoy. I've just forced an upload and
    >> verified that I can fetch it from there now...

    > 0.5.4 isn't there, but 0.5.3 is.

    I just fetched 0.5.4 using the URL above from my work machine using
    Firefox, it's there...

    Chris C

    Chris Croughton, Jan 19, 2005
  19. jvankay

    Richard Bos Guest

    Chris Croughton <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:02:58 GMT, CBFalconer
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Chris Croughton wrote:

    > >> Hmm, I don't know why it didn't get there, it got to my other servers
    > >> and I didn't see an error from sitecpoy. I've just forced an upload and
    > >> verified that I can fetch it from there now...

    > > 0.5.4 isn't there, but 0.5.3 is.

    > I just fetched 0.5.4 using the URL above from my work machine using
    > Firefox, it's there...

    Just FTR, it exists for me as well, using Opera. This means that it's
    not just visible from within keristor.whatever.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Jan 19, 2005
  20. jvankay

    CBFalconer Guest

    Chris Croughton wrote:
    > <> wrote:
    >> Chris Croughton wrote:

    >>> Hmm, I don't know why it didn't get there, it got to my other
    >>> servers and I didn't see an error from sitecpoy. I've just
    >>> forced an upload and verified that I can fetch it from there now...

    >> 0.5.4 isn't there, but 0.5.3 is.

    > I just fetched 0.5.4 using the URL above from my work machine using
    > Firefox, it's there...

    It is now, it wasn't then.

    CBFalconer, Jan 19, 2005