Special Characters (Unicode, Ascii) in Python and MySQL

ronrsr

I have an MySQL database called zingers. The structure is:

zid - integer, key, autoincrement
keyword - varchar
citation - text
quotation - text

I am having trouble storing text, as typed in latter two fields.
Special characters and punctuation all seem not to be stored and
retrieved correctly.

Special apostrophes and single quotes from Microsoft Word are causing a
special problem, even though I have ''ed all 's

perhaps the encoding of the database itself should be different? it is
currenlty latin_swedish_ci

Input and output is through a browser.

I think my problem may be that I need to encode the string before
saving it in the databse. Can anyone point me in the right direction
here?

here's the error message:

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position
95: ordinal not in range(128)
args = ('ascii', "update zingers set keywords =
'a;Action;b;Religi... \n \n \n ' where zid = 422", 95, 96, 'ordinal not
in range(128)')
encoding = 'ascii'
end = 96
object = "update zingers set keywords = 'a;Action;b;Religi... \n
\n \n ' where zid = 422"
reason = 'ordinal not in range(128)'
start = 95

the characters I am trying to add are startquote and endquote copied
and pasted from Microsoft Word.

Can anyone help me on this?

bests,

-rsr-

Carsten Haese

[...]

Apparently not, since you've already posted this problem on December
18th and got various responses. Did you read
http://effbot.org/pyfaq/how-do-i-escape-sql-values-when-using-the-db-api.htm as Fredrik suggested in the earlier thread?

-Carsten