species counterpoint source code?

isbat1

I tried asking this on rec.music.theory, but it devolved immediately
into a reflexive revilement against algorithmic composition. I'll try
again here. Please allow me to quote myself:

I'm experimenting with computer generated music, and I'd like to see
source code for any application that can automatically write
Fux-compliant species counterpoint, without human intervention. Any
language is okay, but Java would be best.

Can anybody point me toward what I'm looking for?

Eike Preuss

I tried asking this on rec.music.theory, but it devolved immediately
into a reflexive revilement against algorithmic composition. I'll try
again here. Please allow me to quote myself:

I'm experimenting with computer generated music, and I'd like to see
source code for any application that can automatically write
Fux-compliant species counterpoint, without human intervention. Any
language is okay, but Java would be best.

Can anybody point me toward what I'm looking for?
Personally I would try to find people doing mathematical music theory at
university, computer science department probably, and ask them. I happen
to know that there is such a group at the technical university berlin:
http://flp.cs.tu-berlin.de/MaMuTh/
Site is (mostly) in german, sorry! But they all speak english, if you
contact them by email...
But I don't know wether they have, or can point you to, what you want.
++ Eike

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Daniel_Sj=F6blom?=

This is would be an interesting program to write. I didn't have much
luck finding automatic species writers, but I found a program for
checking correctness of user supplied counterpoint (with java source
code), that could perhaps be of some interest:

http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~cmckay/software/musictech/SpeciesChecker.html

A widely referenced paper on the topic seems to be Automatic Species
Counterpoint by Bill Schottstaedt at Stanford, which is available online at:

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/STANM/stanms/stanm19/index.html

It contains source code in some pascalish(?) language, but it is mixed
in with the other writing.

HTH,
Daniel Sjöblom

Thomas G. Marshall

(e-mail address removed) coughed up:
I tried asking this on rec.music.theory, but it devolved immediately
into a reflexive revilement against algorithmic composition. I'll try
again here. Please allow me to quote myself:

I'm experimenting with computer generated music, and I'd like to see
source code for any application that can automatically write
Fux-compliant species counterpoint, without human intervention. Any
language is okay, but Java would be best.

Can anybody point me toward what I'm looking for?

Post this in comp.programming. You'll likely get a far larger set of useful