Specific E-Mail Validation Script

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by ibizara, Jan 23, 2008.

  1. ibizara

    ibizara Guest

    Please could anyone help I need a validation script on and input field
    email to include/exclude the below?
    If it is even possible even??
    Many Thanks in advanced, Regards, Jason

    (Note " * " is NOT a wildcard in the instances below)

    include:
    a-Z 0-1 * _ - @ a-Z 0-1 _ - . a-Z 0-1

    exclude:
    *@hsbc.com
    *@barclays.com
    *@hotmail.com

    if (theForm.email.value == "")
    {
    alert("Please enter a valid email");
    theForm.email.focus();
    return (false);
    }

    var checkemail = "@.";
    var checkStr = theForm.email.value;
    var emailValid = false;
    var emailAt = false;
    var emailPeriod = false;
    for (i = 0; i < checkStr.length; i++)
    {
    ch = checkStr.charAt(i);
    for (j = 0; j < checkemail.length; j++)
    {
    if (ch == checkemail.charAt(j) && ch == "@")
    emailAt = true;
    if (ch == checkemail.charAt(j) && ch == ".")
    emailPeriod = true;
    if (emailAt && emailPeriod)
    break;
    if (j == checkemail.length)
    break;
    }

    if (emailAt && emailPeriod)
    {
    emailValid = true
    break;
    if (!emailValid)
    {
    alert("Please enter a valid email");
    theForm.email.focus();
    return (false);

    <form name="whitelist" method="post" action="submit.php">
    <input name="email" type="text" id="email"
    onblur="lowerCase(this.id)">
    (@rbs.co.uk @barclays.co.uk @lloydstsb.com @hsbc.co.uk @natwest.com)</
    i><br>
    <input name="submit" type="submit" id="submit" value="Submit">
    ibizara, Jan 23, 2008

  2. In comp.lang.javascript message <a10b516c-4a7e-42ec-a344-ce264efaa668@u1
    0g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, Wed, 23 Jan 2008 09:13:17, ibizara
    <> posted:
    >Please could anyone help I need a validation script on and input field
    >email to include/exclude the below?

    You are wasting your time doing it that way. Invest a little time in
    learning the beginnings of RegExps, and you will soon profit.

    <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-valid.htm>

    Disregarding for the moment your objection to banks, it is very
    difficult for the amateur to write something which passes ALL valid
    address forms and rejects at least most invalid ones. NEVER over-
    validate E-addresses that you are not yourself creating; but when
    creating it is reasonable to be restrictive.

    Spam = /.*@(hsbc|barclays|hotmail)\.com$/.test(Addr)
    should detect the forms you indicated.

    Dr J R Stockton, Jan 23, 2008

  3. ibizara

    ibizara Guest

    > >Please could anyone help I need a validation script on and input field
    > >email to include/exclude the below?

    > You are wasting your time doing it that way.  Invest a little time in
    > learning the beginnings of RegExps, and you will soon profit.

    As it does seem pretty difficult to get it just right i'm going to try
    searching a few places and my result I will post here.

    Might try...

    Check whole email and accept if they have ¬

    a-Z 0-1 * _ - @ .

    Check whole email, Must have the below ¬

    @ .

    Thanks for your reply.

    ibizara, Jan 24, 2008
  4. ibizara

    ibizara Guest

    On 24 Jan, 10:24, ibizara <> wrote:
    > > >Please could anyone help I need a validation script on an input field
    > > >email to include/exclude the below?

    > > You are wasting your time doing it that way.  Invest a little time in
    > > learning the beginnings of RegExps, and you will soon profit.

    > As it does seem pretty difficult to get it just right i'm going to try
    > searching a few places and my result I will post here.
    >
    > Might try...
    >
    > Check whole email and accept if they have ¬
    >
    > a-Z 0-1 * _ - @ .
    >
    > Check whole email, Must have the below ¬
    >
    > @ .

    Achieved what I needed but in PHP rather than JavaScipt

    <?php
    // Receiving variables
    @$email = addslashes($_POST['email']);

    if (! ereg('^[*a-z\'0-9]+([._-][*a-z\'0-9]+)*@([a-z0-9]+([._-][a-
    z0-9]+))+$', $email)){
    include_once("error.inc");
    die();
    }

    if(preg_match('/\*@(hotmail|rbs|barclays|lloydstsb|hsbc|natwest)\.(com|
    co\.uk)$/i',$email)){
    include_once("not_allowed.inc");
    die();
    }
    ?>

    But if anyone wants to help convert the above to JS... ?

    ibizara, Jan 24, 2008
  5. In comp.lang.javascript message <a10b516c-4a7e-42ec-a344-ce264efaa668@u1
    0g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, Wed, 23 Jan 2008 09:13:17, ibizara
    <> posted:
    >Please could anyone help I need a validation script on and input field
    >email to include/exclude the below?

    You are wasting your time doing it that way. Invest the time in
    learning RegExps first.

    Dr J R Stockton, Jan 24, 2008
  6. Jeremy J Starcher wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 09:13:17 -0800, ibizara wrote:
    >> Please could anyone help I need a validation script on and input field
    >> email to include/exclude the below?
    >> If it is even possible even??

    > You /really/ are best not trying to validate an email address with
    > regular expressions. I assure you, they are far more complex than you
    > think.

    They are not. I have derived and posted a very short RegExp based on the
    productions of RFC2822, section 3.4.1., here before.

    > If you really want the regular expression to check email addresses,
    > see here. I've not tested it under JS, but it *should* work.

    It should not, as ECMAScript Regular Expressions are not based on
    Perl-compatible Regular Expressions (PCRE), whereas e.g. PHP Regular
    Expressions are.

    > (Warning: Perl link -- May lead to blindness)

    This oft-cited code that has always been outdated (RFC2822 obsoleted RFC822
    in 2001-04 CE, the code is dated 2002-04-13 CE) does not check for
    e-mail-addresses, it checks for outdated address headers. It's 2008 CE now;
    I wished people would finally stop citing it.

    PointedEars
    --
    realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
    evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict