Specific performance question - Python vs. Java

reinsn

Hi,

I have got a specific question on performance: Is the overhead of
object creation in Python lower than in Java? I mean, I would argue, in
Java by object creation, the complete class is the model and all
methods and attributes are generated for the object.
In Python, methods and objects are only generated, if reached: so could
this represent a performance advantage for Python?

Thanks!

Diez B. Roggisch

reinsn said:
Hi,

I have got a specific question on performance: Is the overhead of
object creation in Python lower than in Java? I mean, I would argue, in
Java by object creation, the complete class is the model and all
methods and attributes are generated for the object.
In Python, methods and objects are only generated, if reached: so could
this represent a performance advantage for Python?

No, this is a misunderstanding on your side. In all OO-languages, the code
(methods) are separated from the instance. Thus creating an object results
in memory allocation _only_ for the members of that object, not any
methods! In python, this boils down to a dictionary holding the members,
JAVA/C++ allocate whatever the class makes them to.

So, no, no performance advantage.

Diez