    Hi to everyone! I live in a small town in interior of Brazil so I don't have too much information. And I always wonder: What are the C fields that hasthe greatest demand for C programmers? Not necessarily with the best salaries although if someone knows the average salaries of each field I would like to know.
    Thank's in advance.

    , Feb 20, 2013

  2. Ian Collins Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi to everyone! I live in a small town in interior of Brazil so I
    > don't have too much information.

    You have the internet?

    > And I always wonder: What are the C
    > fields that has the greatest demand for C programmers?

    Embedded systems, probably by a big margin.

    --
    Ian Collins

    Ian Collins, Feb 20, 2013

  3. On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:25:03 PM UTC, wrote:
    > Hi to everyone! I live in a small town in interior of Brazil so I don't have
    > too much information. And I always wonder: What are the C fields that has the > greatest demand for C programmers? Not necessarily with the best salaries
    > although if someone knows the average salaries of each field I would like to
    > know.
    >
    > Thank's in advance.

    Your best bet is probably to try to get some remote work, via the internet.

    Contributing unpaid to a Sourceforge project is a good way to get your hand in. Plenty of the projects are inC.

    --
    Buy Malcolm's books on C programming
    http://www.malcolmmclean.site11.com/www

    Malcolm McLean, Feb 21, 2013
  4. Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Wed, 2013-02-20, Ian Collins wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Hi to everyone! I live in a small town in interior of Brazil so I
    >> don't have too much information.

    > You have the internet?
    >
    >> And I always wonder: What are the C
    >> fields that has the greatest demand for C programmers?

    > Embedded systems, probably by a big margin.

    Yes. Also, a lot (most?) of the software in any Unix distribution
    (e.g. Debian Linux) is written in C.

    Most of that is written by volunteers but it's still an important
    point. It would be bad for the language and its users if they hadn't
    an open place to meet and learn.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

    Jorgen Grahn, Feb 21, 2013
  5. James Kuyper Guest

    On 02/21/2013 05:38 AM, Jorgen Grahn wrote:
    > On Wed, 2013-02-20, Ian Collins wrote:
    >> wrote:

    >>> And I always wonder: What are the C
    >>> fields that has the greatest demand for C programmers?

    >> Embedded systems, probably by a big margin.

    > Yes. Also, a lot (most?) of the software in any Unix distribution
    > (e.g. Debian Linux) is written in C.
    >
    > Most of that is written by volunteers but it's still an important
    > point. It would be bad for the language and its users if they hadn't
    > an open place to meet and learn.

    True, but he's talking about the demand for programmers. The amount of
    volunteer work that gets done isn't determined by a balance of supply
    and demand, but only by the supply of volunteers.
    --
    James Kuyper

    James Kuyper, Feb 21, 2013
  6. Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Thu, 2013-02-21, James Kuyper wrote:
    > On 02/21/2013 05:38 AM, Jorgen Grahn wrote:

    >>> Embedded systems, probably by a big margin.

    >> Yes. Also, a lot (most?) of the software in any Unix distribution
    >> (e.g. Debian Linux) is written in C.
    >>
    >> Most of that is written by volunteers but it's still an important
    >> point. It would be bad for the language and its users if they hadn't
    >> an open place to meet and learn.

    > True, but he's talking about the demand for programmers. The amount of
    > volunteer work that gets done isn't determined by a balance of supply
    > and demand, but only by the supply of volunteers.

    I know; my posting just deviated from the subject a bit.

    What I try to say is that the connection to Unix shouldn't be
    underestimated. I get paid doing embedded work in C, but these
    embedded systems are Linux-based, and reuse everything from
    programming techniques to tools from that world.

    Doing embedded work in C would be less fun and productive if I had to
    go home and do my hobby hacking in e.g. Smalltalk on OS/2.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .