Specifically about C

dmjcunha

Hi to everyone! I live in a small town in interior of Brazil so I don't have too much information. And I always wonder: What are the C fields that hasthe greatest demand for C programmers? Not necessarily with the best salaries although if someone knows the average salaries of each field I would like to know.
Thank's in advance.

Ian Collins

Hi to everyone! I live in a small town in interior of Brazil so I
don't have too much information.

You have the internet?
And I always wonder: What are the C
fields that has the greatest demand for C programmers?

Embedded systems, probably by a big margin.

Malcolm McLean

Hi to everyone! I live in a small town in interior of Brazil so I don't have
too much information. And I always wonder: What are the C fields that has the > greatest demand for C programmers? Not necessarily with the best salaries
although if someone knows the average salaries of each field I would like to
know.

Thank's in advance.
Your best bet is probably to try to get some remote work, via the internet.

Contributing unpaid to a Sourceforge project is a good way to get your hand in. Plenty of the projects are inC.

Jorgen Grahn

You have the internet?

Embedded systems, probably by a big margin.

Yes. Also, a lot (most?) of the software in any Unix distribution
(e.g. Debian Linux) is written in C.

Most of that is written by volunteers but it's still an important
point. It would be bad for the language and its users if they hadn't
an open place to meet and learn.

/Jorgen

James Kuyper

Yes. Also, a lot (most?) of the software in any Unix distribution
(e.g. Debian Linux) is written in C.

Most of that is written by volunteers but it's still an important
point. It would be bad for the language and its users if they hadn't
an open place to meet and learn.

True, but he's talking about the demand for programmers. The amount of
volunteer work that gets done isn't determined by a balance of supply
and demand, but only by the supply of volunteers.

Jorgen Grahn

True, but he's talking about the demand for programmers. The amount of
volunteer work that gets done isn't determined by a balance of supply
and demand, but only by the supply of volunteers.

I know; my posting just deviated from the subject a bit.

What I try to say is that the connection to Unix shouldn't be
underestimated. I get paid doing embedded work in C, but these
embedded systems are Linux-based, and reuse everything from
programming techniques to tools from that world.

Doing embedded work in C would be less fun and productive if I had to
go home and do my hobby hacking in e.g. Smalltalk on OS/2.

/Jorgen