Specify bit position in array of vectors

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Shannon, Feb 9, 2007.

  1. Shannon

    Shannon Guest

    Gosh, it didn't take long for me to need help again! I promise this
    is my last question for awhile.

    I have four books on VHDL and Google didn't help.

    How do I specify a bit position in an array of std_logic_vectors?

    TYPE arraytype IS ARRAY (0 TO 8) OF STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(7 DOWNTO 0);
    SIGNAL foo : std_logic;
    SIGNAL big_array : arraytype;

    foo <= big_array(5,2); -- yes I know this is wrong. What is the
    syntax to pick bit #2 of big_array(5)?

    Thanks again!

    Shannon
    Shannon, Feb 9, 2007

  2. Shannon

    weber Guest

    On 9 fev, 15:31, "Shannon" <> wrote:
    > Gosh, it didn't take long for me to need help again! I promise this
    > is my last question for awhile.
    >
    > I have four books on VHDL and Google didn't help.
    >
    > How do I specify a bit position in an array of std_logic_vectors?
    >
    > TYPE arraytype IS ARRAY (0 TO 8) OF STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(7 DOWNTO 0);
    > SIGNAL foo : std_logic;
    > SIGNAL big_array : arraytype;

    > foo <= big_array(5,2); -- yes I know this is wrong. What is the
    > syntax to pick bit #2 of big_array(5)?
    >
    > Thanks again!
    >
    > Shannon

    Isn't it big_array(5)(2) ?
    Can't imagine another way!
    Cheers
    weber
    weber, Feb 9, 2007

  3. Shannon

    Shannon Guest

    On Feb 9, 12:05 pm, "weber" <> wrote:
    > On 9 fev, 15:31, "Shannon" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Gosh, it didn't take long for me to need help again! I promise this
    > > is my last question for awhile.

    > > I have four books on VHDL and Google didn't help.

    > > How do I specify a bit position in an array of std_logic_vectors?

    > > TYPE arraytype IS ARRAY (0 TO 8) OF STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(7 DOWNTO 0);
    > > SIGNAL foo : std_logic;
    > > SIGNAL big_array : arraytype;

    > > foo <= big_array(5,2); -- yes I know this is wrong. What is the
    > > syntax to pick bit #2 of big_array(5)?

    > > Thanks again!

    > > Shannon

    > Isn't it big_array(5)(2) ?
    > Can't imagine another way!
    > Cheers
    > weber- Hide quoted text -

    Yep. That did it. (I imagined all kinds of ways! None of them
    correct...hehehe)

    Thanks,
    Shannon
    Shannon, Feb 9, 2007