    charset=ISO-8859-1"

    2) Place this tag in <header>:
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">

    #2 won't pass "Strict" validation...in fact I can't even get it past
    Transitional... I guess that leaves #1.

    The zinger is that this web page is not coming from what I'd think of as a
    "Server". Instead, it's going TB burned on to a CD and the user will read it by
    inserting the CD into their local drive.

    Obviously this isn't a religious issue, but it would be nice if I could get a
    page past Validator with zero errors.

    Can anybody explain?
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Oct 17, 2004

  2. (Pete Cresswell)

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html (Pete Cresswell) said:

    > <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
    > #2 won't pass "Strict" validation...

    yes it does

    > in fact I can't even get it past Transitional...

    you've got a mistake somewhere.

    > The zinger is that this web page is not coming from what I'd think of as a
    > "Server". Instead, it's going TB burned on to a CD and the user will read it by
    > inserting the CD into their local drive.

    you could run a server off the CD but that would be overkill for static
    pages.

    > Obviously this isn't a religious issue,

    BLASPHEMER!

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 17, 2004

  3. (Pete Cresswell)

    Neal Guest

    On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:38:34 GMT, (Pete Cresswell) <> wrote:

    > The zinger is that this web page is not coming from what I'd think of as
    > "Server". Instead, it's going TB burned on to a CD and the user will
    > read it by
    > inserting the CD into their local drive.

    Then use the http-equiv meta element. Preferably, a document is retrieved
    from a server with HTTP headers, since that's impossible in this
    application the meta element can take the place of the header.

    Be sure to choose a charset - which, BTW, is NOT a "character set" as
    you'd think, but a "character encoding" - which is appropriate for your
    content. ISO-8859-1 is probably OK. UTF-8 is good too in most cases.

    Where was that page which went into choosing the right charset? Can't seem
    to locate it, anyone?

    Neal, Oct 17, 2004
  4. "(Pete Cresswell)" <> wrote:

    > <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;
    > charset=ISO-8859-1">
    >
    > #2 won't pass "Strict" validation...in fact I can't even get it past
    > Transitional...

    My crystal ball says that you are using an XHTML DOCTYPE, yet using
    classic HTML syntax for the meta tag.

    I could give a series of lectures on this, but you wouldn't pay for it,
    so here's just the simple answer: don't use XHTML. But if you already
    made the mistake of using XHTML, put the fancy " /" right before the ">"
    for this empty element tag, too.

    Of course, you _could_ have just misplaced the tag. It belongs into your
    head element.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 17, 2004
  5. (Pete Cresswell), Oct 17, 2004
  6. RE/
    >you've got a mistake somewhere.

    Bingo!

    Works a-ok. I changed to all lowercase and swapped out the ISO... for utf...

    Thanks.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Oct 17, 2004
  7. (Pete Cresswell)

    Neal Guest

    On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 17:16:52 GMT, (Pete Cresswell) <> wrote:

    > RE/
    >> Where was that page which went into choosing the right charset? Can't
    >> seem
    >> to locate it, anyone?

    > The one I'm looking at is
    > http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/charset.html

    Alan Flavell wrote a great page, I can't locate it. It goes into who needs
    what encoding. Man, where is it??

    Neal, Oct 18, 2004
  8. (Pete Cresswell)

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Oct 18, 2004
  9. (Pete Cresswell)

    Neal Guest

    Neal, Oct 18, 2004
  10. (Pete Cresswell)

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Neal said:

    > brucie, you get a big, wet kiss on the lips.

    YAY!

    > From rf. ;)

    his wife will really go off if she catches us again :-(

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 18, 2004
  11. (Pete Cresswell)

    rf Guest

    Neal wrote:

    > brucie, you get a big, wet kiss on the lips.
    >
    > From rf. ;)

    Hey, whatchit.

    brucie and I are just friends!

    Besides, his dog is way too big :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 18, 2004
  12. (Pete Cresswell)

    Neal Guest

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 06:33:10 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> wrote:

    > Neal wrote:
    >
    >> brucie, you get a big, wet kiss on the lips.
    >>
    >> From rf. ;)

    > Hey, whatchit.
    >
    > brucie and I are just friends!
    >
    > Besides, his dog is way too big :)

    Dog? I'm good with dogs.

    I guess I'll just have to take one for the team then...

    Neal, Oct 18, 2004
  13. (Pete Cresswell)

    Neal Guest

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:24:55 +1000, brucie <> wrote:

    > In alt.html Neal said:
    >
    >> brucie, you get a big, wet kiss on the lips.

    > YAY!
    >
    >> From rf. ;)

    > his wife will really go off if she catches us again :-(

    Ah, I see. Can't upset another spouse this week.

    Pucker up, baby.

    Neal, Oct 18, 2004