charset=ISO-8859-1"

2) Place this tag in <header>:
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">

#2 won't pass "Strict" validation...in fact I can't even get it past
Transitional... I guess that leaves #1.

The zinger is that this web page is not coming from what I'd think of as a
"Server". Instead, it's going TB burned on to a CD and the user will read it by
inserting the CD into their local drive.

Obviously this isn't a religious issue, but it would be nice if I could get a
page past Validator with zero errors.

Can anybody explain?

brucie

#2 won't pass "Strict" validation...

yes it does
in fact I can't even get it past Transitional...

you've got a mistake somewhere.
The zinger is that this web page is not coming from what I'd think of as a
"Server". Instead, it's going TB burned on to a CD and the user will read it by
inserting the CD into their local drive.

you could run a server off the CD but that would be overkill for static
pages.
Obviously this isn't a religious issue,

BLASPHEMER!

Neal

The zinger is that this web page is not coming from what I'd think of as
"Server". Instead, it's going TB burned on to a CD and the user will
read it by
inserting the CD into their local drive.

Then use the http-equiv meta element. Preferably, a document is retrieved
from a server with HTTP headers, since that's impossible in this
application the meta element can take the place of the header.

Be sure to choose a charset - which, BTW, is NOT a "character set" as
you'd think, but a "character encoding" - which is appropriate for your
content. ISO-8859-1 is probably OK. UTF-8 is good too in most cases.

Where was that page which went into choosing the right charset? Can't seem
to locate it, anyone?

Jukka K. Korpela

#2 won't pass "Strict" validation...in fact I can't even get it past
Transitional...

My crystal ball says that you are using an XHTML DOCTYPE, yet using
classic HTML syntax for the meta tag.

I could give a series of lectures on this, but you wouldn't pay for it,
so here's just the simple answer: don't use XHTML. But if you already
made the mistake of using XHTML, put the fancy " /" right before the ">"
for this empty element tag, too.

Of course, you _could_ have just misplaced the tag. It belongs into your
head element.

(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
you've got a mistake somewhere.

Bingo!

Works a-ok. I changed to all lowercase and swapped out the ISO... for utf...

Thanks.