Specifying a filter based on rowid

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by UJ, May 25, 2005.

  1. UJ

    UJ Guest

    I have a datatable that I want to display the first 10 records, then display
    the next 10 records, and so forth. I'm storing the dataset in a session
    variable because as the user makes changes, they don't want them saved until
    they press the save button.

    Which means I need to initially load the datatable getting rows 1-10 from
    the db and display those. Works fine. When the user goes to the next set, I
    need to have the first set somewhere in case they have changed them. Well if
    I saved the values back in to the datatable and have pulled all of the
    records initially (so I don't go back to the db every page reload) I could
    modify them to my hearts content until they press save. But how can I have a
    datalist limit the number of rows to display. The way I did it before was to
    only load the number of rows I needed into the datatable. But now if I have
    everything it will display them all.

    I suppose if I had to I could copy the 10 records I need for this page into
    a new datatable and then bind that.

    Ideally I'd like to be able to do some kind of dataview with a .select that
    said something like ('RowID >= 0 and RowID <=9') where RowID is the internal
    ID of the row. If I have to, I will add it to the stored proc that is
    getting me the data but I'd rather not.

    TIA.

    Jeffrey.

    UJ, May 25, 2005