Speech Recognition

Jonathan Bale

Where would I start if I wanted to create some small programs/scripts
that could recognize a few verbal commands from me and respond
accordingly? I'm not thinking of anything real sophisticated here, just
a few commands, and it only has to recognize one voice (mine).

Jonathan Bale

Let me be clear: I /don't/ want to create my own voice recognition
software. (Holy Waveform, Batman!) I just wanted to tie some existing
software into a script that could launch a few of my favorite commands
and applications. E.g., "Computer, launch Firefox".

Jonathan Bale

Jonathan Bale wrote in post #959050:
Let me be clear: I /don't/ want to create my own voice recognition
software. (Holy Waveform, Batman!) I just wanted to tie some existing
software into a script that could launch a few of my favorite commands
and applications. E.g., "Computer, launch Firefox".

Oh, and I'm running Gentoo Linux, so a Linux-only solution is fine.

Andreas S.

The most seamless solution would be Sphinx4 with JRuby. But I would
recommend using pocketsphinx and calling it via command line, I found
that it performs better and is much easier to use. Just use one of the
acoustic models that come with pocketsphinx, write a JSGF grammar,
generate a dictionary and you're good to go. As long as you have a
limited grammar and a reasonably clear audio signal it's no rocket
science to build something that works well.

Charles Oliver Nutter

The most seamless solution would be Sphinx4 with JRuby. But I would
recommend using pocketsphinx and calling it via command line, I found
that it performs better and is much easier to use. Just use one of the
acoustic models that come with pocketsphinx, write a JSGF grammar,
generate a dictionary and you're good to go. As long as you have a
limited grammar and a reasonably clear audio signal it's no rocket
science to build something that works well.

Performs better at command line instead of direct invocation from
JRuby? If so, please prove it and file a perf bug :)

- Charlie