Speech synthesis software with program interface?

LurfysMa

I am developing some educational software. One of the applications
tests users on spelling. The program currently uses recorded sound
clips saying the word and asks the user to type it in.

For the word "capital", for example, the human would record something
like, "Capital. What is the capital of North Dakota? Capital." The
user would then be asked to type "capital" and not "capitol".

I would like to look into storing that text in the database and having
a speech synthesis program "speak" it to the user. It would be a nice
feature if the user could select from several voices (at least be able
to choose from male or female).

I've done a little research and there seems to be a few candidates.

Has anyone done anything like this and/or can anyone recommend a
product that will do the job. Cost is not really factor.

Thanks for any help.