speeding up javac

John B. Matthews

RedGrittyBrick said:
A few days ago I was hopeful of discovering the origins of the hyphen
hyphen space signature separator. Individually people writing to c.l.j.p
are intelligent and focussed. Collectively we have the attention span of
a gnat!

Wait, there's history, but it only goes back to 2003:

<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3676#section-4.3>
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/idtracker/draft-gellens-format-bis/>

It's described as "a long-standing convention."

[Oh dear, I'm drifting on and off topic like Billy Pilgrim.]

Patricia Shanahan

RedGrittyBrick wrote:
A few days ago I was hopeful of discovering the origins of the hyphen
hyphen space signature separator. Individually people writing to c.l.j.p
are intelligent and focussed. Collectively we have the attention span of
a gnat!

A gnat-like attention span for off-topic questions for which no reader
happens to know the answer may not be a bad feature for a newsgroup.

If anyone cares at all, why not post the question in a newsgroup where
it would be on-topic, and whose community is likely to include Usenet
history experts? Probably somewhere over in the news.* hierarchy,
perhaps news.software.nntp?

Patricia

Mike Schilling

Patricia said:
If anyone cares at all, why not post the question in a newsgroup
where
it would be on-topic, and whose community is likely to include
Usenet
history experts? Probably somewhere over in the news.* hierarchy,
perhaps news.software.nntp?

I did post this question there once. Unfortunately, my first line was
(accidentally) dash-dash-space, so everyone ignored it..

Roedy Green

You can use make.

Make is very slow with Java, or at least the version we used back in
the Java 1.0 days. It keeps loading Javac.exe over and over. Ant loads
it only once.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
Make is very slow with Java, or at least the version we used back in
the Java 1.0 days. It keeps loading Javac.exe over and over. Ant loads
it only once.

Does it ?

I thought it was calling code in tools.jar and not using javac.exe
at all.

Arne