Speeding up Python's exit

Steven D'Aprano

I just quit an interactive session using Python 2.7 on Linux. It took in
excess of twelve minutes to exit, with the load average going well past 9
for much of that time.

I think the reason it took so long was that Python was garbage-collecting
a giant dict with 10 million entries, each one containing a list of the
form [1, [2, 3], 4]. But still, that's terribly slow -- ironically, it
took longer to dispose of the dict (12+ minutes) than it took to create
it in the first place (approx 3 minutes, with a maximum load of 4).

Can anyone explain why this was so painfully slow, and what (if anything)
I can do to avoid it in the future?

I know there is a function os._exit which effectively kills the Python
interpreter dead immediately, without doing any cleanup. What are the
consequences of doing this? I assume that the memory used by the Python
process will be reclaimed by the operating system, but other resources
such as opened files may not be.

Neil Cerutti

Can anyone explain why this was so painfully slow, and what (if
anything) I can do to avoid it in the future?

I think your explanation makes sense. Maybe the nested nature of
the strings was causing it to churn looking for circular