spelling problem

George

Hi,

I am trying to create a search functionality on the commerce site.
Unfortunately the simple search in the database does not work well. The problem is misspells. 7 out of 10 customers misspell the product name and seeing "Not Found" leaving the site.

How can i tackle that problem?
Is there any spell checkers that i could use from ASP.NET ?

Thanks
George.

Rob T

If you have a few specific products that are misspelled, you could create a
cross reference lookup table..something like this

wrong right
------ ------
widgit widget
wdgt widget
widgut widget

Then you can search this table and return the result from the "right"
column, then perform your search based on that result

I'm not sure if that would be easier or not than using a dictionary.....some
products may never be listed in a standard dict.

Hi,

I am trying to create a search functionality on the commerce site.
Unfortunately the simple search in the database does not work well. The
problem is misspells. 7 out of 10 customers misspell the product name and
seeing "Not Found" leaving the site.

How can i tackle that problem?
Is there any spell checkers that i could use from ASP.NET ?

Thanks
George.

Marina

Is there one product they misspell, and are there let's say 5 common ways they spell it? In this case, if the search term is one of the common misspellings of the product, you can include the actual product in the search.
Hi,

I am trying to create a search functionality on the commerce site.
Unfortunately the simple search in the database does not work well. The problem is misspells. 7 out of 10 customers misspell the product name and seeing "Not Found" leaving the site.

How can i tackle that problem?
Is there any spell checkers that i could use from ASP.NET ?

Thanks
George.

George

Well, it means that someone must seat and filter trough logs to find all misspells customer put in and then create a dictionary.
Sounds like to much works.

I would rather have a search and if it comes back with 0 results i would run the phrase through the spell checker to offer correct spelling

I just need to find spell pecker for .NET :)

George.

[...]

That's what I figured you were looking for. We have a part number lookup in our system that uses a table like that....so if someone is searching for an obsolete part, we can refer them to the newer model...... good luck with your search.....
[...]

I believe i found what i need

There is a check speller out there and it's even free

http://www.loresoft.com/Applications/NetSpell/default.aspx