Splash screen

carmelo

Hi everybody,
I'm developing a java Swing app on which I need to have a splash
screen. The application should be launched normally and with java web
start. I'd like to have a splash screen with a progress bar indicating

I tried to set a splash screen on the jnpl file, in this way:
<icon href="logo.gif" kind="splash"/>
but it does not give me a splash screen like that I need, besides it
causes problems on application startup on some systems.

I hope you can help me.
Thank you very much in advance!

John B. Matthews

carmelo said:
Hi everybody,
I'm developing a java Swing app on which I need to have a splash
screen. The application should be launched normally and with java web
start. I'd like to have a splash screen with a progress bar indicating

I tried to set a splash screen on the jnpl file, in this way:
<icon href="logo.gif" kind="splash"/>
but it does not give me a splash screen like that I need, besides it
causes problems on application startup on some systems.

The Sun demo java2D.Java2Demo, version 12.2.0, has a delightful loader
progress feature and animated splash screen. On my platform, it's found
in /Developer/Examples/Java/JFC/Java2D, but I'm guessing it's available
from Sun/Oracle, too.

Roedy Green

I tried to set a splash screen on the jnpl file, in this way:
<icon href="logo.gif" kind="splash"/>
but it does not give me a splash screen like that I need, besides it
causes problems on application startup on some systems.

What you need is a class loaded very early on that displays the splash
image and the progress bar.

Alternatively, use a kicker written in C to display it, that launches
the JVM and app. That way the splash can appear even earlier.

If you have a budget, you might try the Jet splashes.
See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jet.html

Andrew Thompson

Hi everybody,
I'm developing a java Swing app on which I need to have a splash
screen. The application should be launched normally and with java web
start.

Are you familiar with the SplashScreen class? I'm not
sure if the demo. mentioned by John uses it.
..I'd like to have a splash screen with a progress bar indicating

I tried to set a splash screen on the jnpl file, in this way:
<icon href="logo.gif" kind="splash"/>
but it does not give me a splash screen like that I need,

How does the JWS splash differ from what you need?
...besides it
causes problems on application startup on some systems.

What problems on what systems?

John B. Matthews

Andrew Thompson said:
Are you familiar with the SplashScreen class? I'm not
sure if the demo. mentioned by John uses it.

Sadly, no:

$ find /Developer/Examples/Java/JFC/Java2D -name \*.java | \
xargs -J % grep -iH SplashScreen %

It uses a JProgressBar to mark loading a dozen groups of three or four
JPanels into a JTabbedPane. The initial pane, Intro, is a
multi-threaded, animated extravaganza of transformed composites,
dithers, gradients, shapes, text and textures. The other panes include
assorted controls and monitors. Although a bit dated, it is an wholesale
eye-candy store.

I'll try to stop gushing, now.