    causes problems on application startup on some systems.

    I hope you can help me.
    Thank you very much in advance!

    carmelo, Mar 30, 2010

  2. In article
    <>,
    carmelo <> wrote:

    > Hi everybody,
    > I'm developing a java Swing app on which I need to have a splash
    > screen. The application should be launched normally and with java web
    > start. I'd like to have a splash screen with a progress bar indicating
    >
    > I tried to set a splash screen on the jnpl file, in this way:
    > <icon href="logo.gif" kind="splash"/>
    > but it does not give me a splash screen like that I need, besides it
    > causes problems on application startup on some systems.

    The Sun demo java2D.Java2Demo, version 12.2.0, has a delightful loader
    progress feature and animated splash screen. On my platform, it's found
    in /Developer/Examples/Java/JFC/Java2D, but I'm guessing it's available
    from Sun/Oracle, too.

    --
    John B. Matthews
    trashgod at gmail dot com

    John B. Matthews, Mar 30, 2010

  3. carmelo

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 03:12:50 -0700 (PDT), carmelo <>

    >I tried to set a splash screen on the jnpl file, in this way:
    ><icon href="logo.gif" kind="splash"/>
    >but it does not give me a splash screen like that I need, besides it
    >causes problems on application startup on some systems.

    What you need is a class loaded very early on that displays the splash
    image and the progress bar.

    Alternatively, use a kicker written in C to display it, that launches
    the JVM and app. That way the splash can appear even earlier.

    If you have a budget, you might try the Jet splashes.
    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jet.html
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    If you tell a computer the same fact in more than one place, unless you have an automated mechanism to ensure they stay in sync, the versions of the fact will eventually get out of sync.

    Roedy Green, Mar 30, 2010
  4. On Mar 30, 9:12 pm, carmelo <> wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    > I'm developing a java Swing app on which I need to have a splash
    > screen. The application should be launched normally and with java web
    > start.

    Are you familiar with the SplashScreen class? I'm not
    sure if the demo. mentioned by John uses it.

    >..I'd like to have a splash screen with a progress bar indicating
    >
    > I tried to set a splash screen on the jnpl file, in this way:
    > <icon href="logo.gif" kind="splash"/>
    > but it does not give me a splash screen like that I need,

    How does the JWS splash differ from what you need?

    >...besides it
    > causes problems on application startup on some systems.

    What problems on what systems?

    --
    Andrew T.
    pscode.org

    Andrew Thompson, Mar 31, 2010
  5. In article
    <>,
    Andrew Thompson <> wrote:

    > Are you familiar with the SplashScreen class? I'm not
    > sure if the demo. mentioned by John uses it.

    Sadly, no:

    $ find /Developer/Examples/Java/JFC/Java2D -name \*.java | \
    xargs -J % grep -iH SplashScreen %

    It uses a JProgressBar to mark loading a dozen groups of three or four
    JPanels into a JTabbedPane. The initial pane, Intro, is a
    multi-threaded, animated extravaganza of transformed composites,
    dithers, gradients, shapes, text and textures. The other panes include
    assorted controls and monitors. Although a bit dated, it is an wholesale
    eye-candy store.

    I'll try to stop gushing, now.

    --
    John B. Matthews
    trashgod at gmail dot com

    John B. Matthews, Mar 31, 2010
  6. carmelo

    carmelo Guest

    I solved creating a JWindow on startup, before main JFrame launch.
    After that, when it's loaded, the main JFrame will close splash
    screen...

    -
    http://carmelosaffioti.blogspot.com
    -